Beaufort is a town built around the Beaufort Castle, built in the 11th century. It however, has been expanded many times since. In the Thirty Year War it got damaged severely and fell into ruins. The main castle got restored, but the knights' castle slowly decayed. The castle has been a cultural heritage site since 1850, and is owned by the Luxembourgian state since 1981.
Bus 107 runs from Luxembourg City directly to Beaufort. The bus runs once an hour on weekdays and once every two hours on Saturday. The bus leaves from Luxembourg City at Charlys Gare (at the city park), on walking distance from Hamilius. It does not have a stop at Gare Centrale. On Sundays, it is necessary to take a train to Ettelbruck first, from where bus 502 runs every two hours to Beaufort.
From Luxembourg City, use Route national 7 followed by the E421 nad E29 to get to Echternach. Before you reach Echternach, take a left onto the 118 at the small commune of Lauterborn, heading for Scheidgen and Consdorf. Take the first exit on the roundabout in Consdorf, turning onto the Rue Melicksheck (137). Follow this road until you reach Berdorf, where you turn onto the Route 364. If you follow this road, you will end up in Beaufort.
Beaufort is rather small and can be travelled by foot.
- 1 Beaufort Castle, 24 Rue du Château (Located on the road connecting Beaufort with Haller (CR128). The castle can easily be spotted from a distance.), ☏ .
- Castle specialities. Try the specialities of the Beaufort Castle: Framboise des bois, Cassero de Beaufort (blackcurrant liqueur) and Vielle Prune.
- Hôtel-Restaurant Meyer SA ****, 120 Grand-Rue, ☏ . Restaurant of the hotel listed under sleep.
- Rôtisserie Beaufort, 110 Grand-rue.
- 1 Hôtel-Restaurant Meyer SA ****, 120 Grand-Rue, ☏ . €99,=.
- 2 Hostellerie de Beaufort, 59 Grand-Rue, ☏ .
- Youthhostel Beaufort, 55, route de Dillingen, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 17:00-22:00, check-out: till 10:00.
- Beaufort Tourist Office, 87 Grand-Rue, ☏ .