Echternach is a small town with about 5,000 inhabitants on the eastern border of Luxembourg, just a hop away from Germany. It's Luxembourg's oldest town, based on an old monastery founded in 698. Aside from that, it holds the crypt of Willibrord, one of the Northumbrian missionary saints, as he died in Echternach in the year 739. His crypt can be seen in the Saint Willibrord Basilica.
Assuming you come from Luxembourg city, you can get there by
- Bus: The buslines 111 and 110 take you from the central station and the main bus station (Aldringer) to Echternach in under one hour.
- Car: Leaving the city via Kirchberg, the directions to Echternach are well explained.
- Bike: Via Kirchberg, you got a perfectly signed cycling-trail which should take about 3 hours.
As Echternach is a small town. You can easily get around by walking.
- 1 [formerly dead link] Basilica of Saint Willibrord. The Basilica's crypts are the final resting place of Northumbrian missionary saint Willibrord, who died in Echternach in 739. The crypts can be visited for free. In the crypts you will find the chest with the body of Willibrord inside, as well as the Willibrord well, the water of which is believed to cure skin diseases. Free access.
- 2 Museum of the Abbey of Echternach (Musée de l'Abbaye), 11, Parvis de la Basilique, L-6486 Echternach. During April and October: 10:00-12:00 / 14:00-17:00
During May and September: 10:00-12:00 / 14:00-18:00. The Abbey is a museum of the catholic past of the city. It's worth a visit.
- Echternach town square (Centre Ville), Place du Marché, Echternach. Most notable is the centre's square cross and the historical guildhall "Denzelt" is a nice place to see and stay. You can also roam through the city and see the remains of the city wall. The towers of which have been converted to living spaces.
- 3 Roman Villa, By the Lac d'Echternach. Shows the remains of an ancient roman house.
- 4 Lac d'Echternach, Chemin vers Rodenhof, Echternach. The Lac d'Echternach (Lake of Echternach), is an artificial lake. You can walk around the lake in approximately 150 minutes. Bikes can be rented at the Youth Hostel.
- 5 Prehistoric Museum (Musée de prehistoire et de la faïencerie d'Echternach), 4a, Rue du Pont, L-6471 Echternach, ☏ . April 1st - November 15th: 10:00-12:00 / 14:00-17:00. Closed on mondays.
- Museum of rural architecture (Musée de l'architecture rurale), Rokoko Pavillon, Park, L-6486 Echternach.
Outside of town
Echternach is located in the Mullerthal, which offers many cycling and hiking routes through forested regions, with large rocks all around. Aside from that the Mullerthal also offers lovely panoramas. Some of the biggest attractions are:
- In the village of Berdorf, 6 km away via N10 and CR364, the Hohllay (“hollow rock”) is interesting to see.
- A bit farther afield, about 13 km west via the CR118, CR356 and CR121/CR356, is the Schiessentümpel, a beautiful waterfall near Waldbillig. The scenic bridge over the waterfall tends to be very crowded on sunny days.
- Visit the small cinema "Cine Sura", the oldest movie theatre in Luxembourg. Shows from Friday-Wednesday.
- E-Lake festival, Around the Lac d'Echternach. Held annually, usually in the first half of August. The E-Lake festival is a large festival for those that love rock, electro and hip-hop music. Regularly it features general live music on Friday, internationally known DJs on Saturday and an 80s Sunday. Entrance free, parking €10, camping €35.
- [formerly dead link] International Festival Echternach, ☏ . Features classical music in July and jazz music in September and October.
- Cycling. There are well-maintained cycling paths to Luxembourg, Diekirch, Vianden, Wasserbillig, Trier (GER) and Bitburg (GER). Bikes can be rented at many locations throughout the Mullerthal region. Perhaps the best place to rent is near the Youth Hostel by the Lac d'Echternach.
- Macarons mous, typical traditional sweets. Taste like pure sugar, but at least you should give them a try. Can be bought at the Patisserie Zimmer and Patisserie Simon.
- 1 AD Delhaize Echternach, 117 rte de Luxembourg, L-6562 Echternach, ☏ . 8:00-20:00. 8:00-18:00 on weekends. Echternach location of the Delhaize supermarket chain.
- 2 Cactus Echternach, 47 Rue des Remparts, L-6477 Echternach, ☏ . 8:00-20:00 during weekdays, 8:00-19:00 on Saturdays and 8:00-13:00 on Sundays. Cactus, like Delhaize, is a supermarket chain.
- 1 [dead link] Restaurant-Pizzeria Du Passage, 2 Rue du Haut Ruisseau, L-6446 Echternach, ☏ . 11:30-14:30; 17:30-23:30. Closed on mondays.
- 2 Restaurant Pizzeria Giorgio, 4 Rue André Duchscher, L-6434 Echternach, ☏ . 12:00-14:00; 18:00-23:00.
- 3 Brasserie-Restaurant Aal Eechternoach, 38 Place du Marché, L-6460 Echternach, ☏ . 11:00-01:00. Closed on Tuesdays.
- 4 Restaurant Nonnemillen, 117 Route de Luxembourg, L-6562 Echternach, ☏ .
- 5 [dead link] Restaurant l'Iris, 19 Place du Marché, L-6460 Echternach, ☏ .
- 6 La Grappe d'Or, 7 Route du Luxembourg, L-6450 Echternach, ☏ .
Most cafés are situated around the town square and the main shopping road
- 1 Café de la Poste (Beim Wohli), 3 Place du Marché, L-6460 Echternach, ☏ . 10:00-1:00.
- 2 Café de Philo'soff, 31 r. de la Gare, L-6440 Echternach, ☏ .
- 1 Campingpark Freibad Echternacherbrück, Mindener Strasse 18, D-54668 Echternacherbrück, ☏ . Located just across the border, by the river Sauer is Freibad Echternacherbrück. Getting into Echternach is no more of a case than crossing the bridge.
- 2 Hôtel Eden au Lac, Oam Nonnesees, L-6474 Echternach, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Five star hotel on the outskirts of Echternach €167.
- 3 Hôtel Bel Air, 1, Route de Berdorf, L-6409 Echternach, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Four star hotel to the west of Echternach €109.
- 4 Grand Hôtel, 27, Route de Diekirch, L-6430 Echternach, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. 4-star hotel
- 5 Hostellerie de la Basilique, 7-8, Place du Marché, L-6460 Echternach, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. 4-star hotel €103.
- 6 Hôtel au Vieux Moulin, 6, Lauterborn, L-6562 Echternach, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. 4-star hotel €120.
- 7 Hôtel de la Sûre, 49, Rue de la Gare, L-6440 Echternach, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. 3-star hotel €85.
- 8 Hôtel "Le Pavillon", 2, Rue de la Gare, L-6440 Echternach, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. 3-star hotel €88.
- 9 Hôtel "Le Petit Poète", 13, Place du Marché, L-6460 Echternach, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. 2-star hotel €70.
- 10 Auberge An Haal, 10, rue de la Gare, L-6440 Echternach, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 11 Hôtel Le Postillon, 7, Route de Luxembourg, L-6450 Echternach, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. 3-star hotel €90.
- 12 Hôtel Bon Accueil, 3, Rue des Merciers, L-6464 Echternach, ☏ , fax: .
Echternach is located in Mullerthal, which is a sub-region of the Grevenmacher District. It is referred to as Luxembourg's little Switzerland, seen its landscape. The area offers many stunning sights.
- The Mullerthal: Commonly referred to as Luxembourg's Little Switzerland, Mullerthal offers mostly breathtaking hiking and cycling routes through the forested mountains, and stunning panoramas. Echternach is located in this region, and a tour through the region may be interesting to you.
- Luxembourg City: Looking for the big city or simply an airport? Head for Luxembourg.
- Diekirch: Diekirch is most known for its own beer. There's nowhere better to taste a beer than in the city it has been brewed in.
- Bitburg: Bitburg is located across the border in Germany. Like Diekirch, it is known for its own beer, Bitburger.