Beaumaris (Welsh: Biwmares) is a town in east Anglesey in Wales. Beaumaris's shore borders the Menai Strait separating Anglesey from the British mainland. Its population is somewhere around 2000 people. The town is full of history and many historical sites are still able to be visited today.
The town offers a relaxed, quaint atmosphere, and is good for families. Make sure to bring cool weather clothes over lighter layers. This way you can be comfortable no matter what the temperature. Also, bring a camera because you will want to remember this trip.
Beaumaris and its castle was built by the Norman kings of England. King Edward I began construction on this castle in 1295. French builders called the castle beaux marais meaning "beautiful marshes", since the castle was built on a marsh foundation. This is one of the largest fortresses in Wales and the last created by Edward I. However, construction was never completed and only saw a little combat during the 17th century Civil War. Had it been finished it was fixed to be one of the grandest ever built.
The Gulf Stream makes the UK's winters relatively mild. The best times to head to Beaumaris are in the autumn and spring to avoid the summer crowds. Autumn and spring temperatures range from highs of 16°C and lows of 4°C.
4 miles from Menai Bridge on the A545.
- Bicycle- best way to get around town when not on foot
- Foot- most attractions can be walked to from your hotel as the town is relatively small.
- Car- car services can be called for attractions that cannot be reached by the previous two forms of transportation.
- 1 Beaumaris Castle (Welsh: Castell Biwmares), Castle St, LL58 8AP, ☏ . 09.30-17.00 daily (Apr 1 to Jun 30), 09.30-18.00 daily (Jul 1 to Aug 31), 09.30-17.00 daily (Sep 1 to Oct 31), 1st November to 28th February M-Sa 10.00-16.00 Su 11.00-16.00 (Nov 1 to Feb 28), 09.30-17.00 daily (Mar 1 to Mar 31). A 13th-century castle of great interest. One of the castles built by Edward I of England, after he invaded Wales, and part of the Castles of King Edward I. UNESCO World Heritage Site. The castle is beautiful, even though it is unfinished. One can walk across the bridge to gain entry, situated atop a moat of swans. From there one can venture through the finished parts of the walls or explore the eroded cut outs. It's best to go on a sunny day when the light comes through all the little crevese. The middle of the castle is a huge plot of grass where people can sit and children can run around. This is a very kid friendly castle. Adults £5.25, Family Ticket £15.75 - admits 2 adults and up to 3 children under 16 years.
- 2 Beaumaris courthouse, Castle Street. Courthouse from 1614- Courthouse held trials for some of Anglesey's most nefarious criminals. People can learn how the court worked back in 1614 as well as see some of the artifacts a Judge would have used. A cool place for people of all ages to enjoy what would have happened to them if they were a criminal, lawyer, judge, or part of a jury in the 1600s. Adults £3.60 Children £2.80.
- 3 Beaumaris Gaol, Steeple Lane. Build in 1826 is now a museum.
- 4 St Mary's parish church, Church Street, LL58 8BN. 14th century church with attractive interior and the stone coffin of Princess Joan (d.1237, a daughter of King John of England) in the porch.
Beaumaris offers holidaymakers sightseeing activities, shopping, catching a rugby match on one of the TVs in one of the local pubs, golf at one of the local courses, as well as just take some time to relax. Boat trips are also available.
If you are in the area for Bonfire Night or New Year's Eve, head to the seashore to watch the fantastic firework displays. They draw big crowds, so remember to arrive in plenty of time.
There are plenty of little shops to venture in and out of, most are located on Castle Street or in the Market Square. Stop in one of the bakeries for a quick snack and make a day of it. Just be sure that you do not spend all your money in one place.
- Pretty Things of Beaumaris, The Market Square, ☏ , fax: .
- The Wishing Well, Castle St. Great shop to buy souvenirs or gifts for people back home.
- The Penny Farthing (opposite the George & Dragon Hotel). Sweets, chocolates and candy shop.
- 1 Tinkers and Belles.
- Ye Old Bull's Head Inn, Castle St, ☏ . Good quality meals in a contemporary setting. There's a more formal upstairs restaurant as well as the downstairs Brasserie. Bilingual staff and menus.
- 1 The Bulkeley Hotel, 19 Castle Street, Beaumaris, LL58 8AW, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Built as a Georgian show piece in 1832, the hotel now boasts a garden with a terrace, as well as a fine restaurant, a coffee shop, a bar and a lounge. The Bulkeley Hotel offers stylish rooms. Creative cuisine prepared with local produce is served in the hotel's restaurant. £50.00 - £150.00.
- 2 Wonderfully Wild (Glamping), WonderfullyWild, Cichle Farm, Beaumaris, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. luxury camping in canvas lodges starting from £80pn.
- Ye Old Bull's Head Inn. See 'eat' section above. This inn also offers excellent accommodation.
- Cleifiog B&B. Very nice little Bed and Breakfast. One can see Snowdonia and the B&B is close to the center of town. This place is a bit more expensive but the price is worth it for the accommodations it offers.
- Bold Arms Hotel, Church St, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Offers a beer garden, pub food, and B&B style rooms.
- George & Dragon Hotel, Church St, ☏ . The hotel was built in 1410, offers great pub food, and an authentic bar feel. US$11-20.
- 3 The Old Smithy /The Old Stable Southerndown, The Old Smithy, Llanfaes, Isle of Anglesey, LL58 8LP Wales, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Former village smithy and smiths cottage.
- Bishopsgate House Hotel & Restaurant, 54 Castle Street, Beaumaris LL58 8BB, Wales. 4 miles from Benllech £100.
- [formerly dead link] Henllys Hall Hotel, Henllys Lane, ☏ .
- 4 Liverpool Arms Hotel, Castle St, LL58 8BA, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Up Snowdon - the highest mountain in Wales!
- Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch - a village with the longest place name in an English-speaking country.