Visitor information centre
Benalla is a short diversion off the Hume Freeway between Wodonga and Melbourne.
Benalla has an airport, but there are no commercial scheduled flights.
NSW Trainlink services between Sydney and Melbourne stop here, as do V/Line services from Melbourne to Albury, making a total of five trains daily in each direction. V/Line also operate coach services to Bendigo or Adelaide via Shepparton, and Mulwala via Yarrawonga.
Local public transport within the town consists of a bus service operated by Benalla Bus Lines. The service consists of two loop routes that run hourly, with more services during peak times, and only on weekdays. Tickets for 2 hour, daily, weekly and monthly periods are available and all are also sold at concession rates (half price). The single ticket covers both lines.
Benalla Taxis operates a local taxi service which operates 24/7, bookings can be made over the phone (+61 3 5762 3333) and a taxi rank is available on Carrier Street near Bridge Street in the CBD.
- 1 Benalla Costume & Kelly Museum, 14 Mair St, ☏ , email@example.com. M-F 9AM-5PM, Sa-Su 10AM-4PM (closed Christmas). Specializes in costumes and local history, including the Ned Kelly Story. The Historical Society also has a ‘Research Room‘ in the Museum in which early news papers dating back to the 1800’s, books, documents, and pictures are stored. Additionally, when Kelly saved a young boy from drowning in a creek, and was awarded this green sash in recognition of his bravery and it can be found in this museum. His transportable cell can also be found here. Adults: $5.00 Concession: $4.00 Children: $1.00.
- 2 Old Benalla Courthouse, 67 Arundel St. The Kellys have appeared here numerous occasions. It's not surprising why.
- 3 Benalla Aviation Museum, 1 Hangar Lane, ☏ . W Su 9AM–3PM. Aviation museum more about Australia's military air training history.
- 1 Farmers Basket Cafe, 52 Nunn St, ☏ . Tu-Su 10AM–8:30PM.
- 2 The Bootmakers Shop, 64A Arundel St, ☏ . While now a cafe, Ned Kelly had ran across the road into this boot shop and locked the door after a fight with the police. Kelly gave himself up when the judge came over to the shop.
- 1 Executive Hideaway Motel and Apartments, 71 Samaria Rd, ☏ . Self-contained motel-style apartments featuring en-suite bathrooms, kitchenettes and living areas. 1 & 2 bedroom units.
|Routes through Benalla|
|Albury-Wodonga ← Wangaratta ←||N S||→ Violet Town → Melbourne|
|Albury-Wodonga ← Glenrowan ←||N S||→ Seymour → Melbourne|