Bento Gonçalves is in the Northeast of Rio Grande do Sul.
Bento Gonçalves is the wine capital of Brazil. The majority of domestic wine is produced here and most of the country's grape juice also comes from Bento Gonçalves. The city has many vineyards outside of the central business district. It was colonized by Italian immigrants near the end of the 19th century. Its rolling hills, vineyards, historic buildings and Italian heritage have made this city one of the great tourist cities in the Serra Gaúcha.
Commercial air service is available in Caxias do Sul (41 km / 28 miles away, about 50 minutes by car) and Porto Alegre (121 km / 75 miles away, about 1 hour and 45 minutes by car).
1 Estação Rodoviária de Bento Gonçalves (Intercity bus station), Rua Gen. Gomes Carneiro, 19 Centro, ☏ +55 54 3218-3000, firstname.lastname@example.org. Comfortable and air-conditioned executive coaches are available from Porto Alegre and many other cities throughout Rio Grande do Sul state to Bento Gonçalves. The bus station has a snack bar, shops with newspapers, magazines, and souvenirs. It also has a baggage storage services (guarda volumes) if you plan on just visiting town while waiting for another bus. Most travelers coming from the metropolitan Porto Alegre region will take the BENTO or UNESUL busline to Bento Gonçalves. Check the bus station website where you can check schedules, verify bus fare, and even purchase tickets (although a CPF, Cadastro de Pessoas Físicas, or Natural Persons Register Number is necessary). Most foreigners simply show up at the time of travel and purchase a ticket. In general, there are vacancies on the buses if you're not traveling during a holiday.
Intercity buslines that operate at the Bento Gonçalves intercity bus station:
- Bento Transportes, ☏ +55 54 3452-2977, email@example.com. Bento also offers urban transport within Bento Gonçalves (but not from the intercity bus station).
- Unesul, ☏ +55 51 3375-9000, toll-free: +0800-888-0809.
- Caxiense Express, ☏ +55 54 3211-8300.
- Ozelame, ☏ +55 54 3228-4088.
- Planalto, toll-free: +0800-604-1832.
- Bento Transportes, ☏ +55 (54) 3452-2977, firstname.lastname@example.org. Municipal bus service is provided by Bento Transportes. This busline also provides intercity transport to Farroupilha, Caxias do Sul and other cities throughout the Wine and Grape Region of the Serra Gaúcha.
- Pipa Pórtico (City gate monument in the shape of a wine barrel), Rua Carazinho, 322 (Near the junction of BR-470 and Rua Carazinho. Park at the Bento Gonçalves tourism bureau.). This is one of the main symbols of the city.
- 1 Antas River Bridge, BR-470 KM 192 (Antas River, the dividing line between the cities of Bento Gonçalves and Veranópolis.). A beautiful through arch bridge that passes over the Antas River. This bridge is actually the symbol of Rio Grande do Sul state's Department of Transportation (Departamento Autônomo de Estradas de Rodagem do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul).
- 2 Caminhos de Pedra, Rodovia Caminho das Pedras, ☏ +55 54 3455-6333. 9:00 - 17:30. Visit original houses of Italian immigrants in the region along this road. Many of the homes have been converted into restaurants and stores selling wine, grape juice, products derived from grapes and arts and crafts from the Serra Gaúcha region.
- Maria Fumaça steam locomotive, Rua Duque de Caxias, s/n - Bairro Cidade Alta, ☏ +55 54 3455-2788. Ride this historic tourist train from Bento Gonçalves through Garibaldi to Carlos Barbosa. Wine or grape juice tasting takes place at the Garibaldi stop. R$70 - R$74 per person.
- Epopéia Italiana Theme Park, Rua Visconde de São Gabriel, 507, ☏ +55 54 3455-2788. Shows daily life of Italian immigrants in the region in 1875.
- Churrascaria Ipiranga, Rua Olavo Bilac, 200, Cidade Alta, ☏ +55 54 3452 3278, email@example.com. Very expensive, even with a favorable exchange rate, but good. R$90 for the full buffet.
- Sonho da Serra Pousada, Rua Raul Moreira, 221, ☏ +55 54 3452 0445, firstname.lastname@example.org. With a favorable exchange rate, this charming inn could fall into the budget range. R$135.
- Dall'onder Grande Hotel, Rua Herny Hugo Dreher, 197, ☏ +55 54 3455 3555, email@example.com. With a favorable exchange rate, this hotel isn't too expensive. A very nice place. R$250.
- Hotel & Spa do Vinho, Rodovia RS 444 Km 21 - Vale dos Vinhedos, ☏ +55 54-2102 7200. Part of Marriott's Autograph Collection. This is one of your priciest options, but very luxurious. R$390.
|Routes through Bento Gonçalves|
|Carlos Barbosa ← Garibaldi ←||S N||→ Veranópolis → Lagoa Vermelha|
|Lajeado ← Teutônia ←||W E||→ Farroupilha → Caxias do Sul|