Bernardsville is a small (7,707 inhabitants), affluent town located in the Skylands region in northern New Jersey. It is in Somerset County, which is in the top ten wealthiest counties in the nation. Bernardsville as a town ranks 75th in the country among 100 highest-income places. In the summers it is a great getaway from the city life.
Bernardsville is one of those places people come to get away from it all. They raise their families here in a close knit community built around comfort and leisure. The school system is one of the best in New Jersey and the country overall.
For the most part people in the town keep to themselves. They shop, eat, and go about their business. Running into someone in town and having small talk is a normal aspect of living here. The community has kept this sense of privacy and comfort for many years. Olcott Avenue Historic District is recognized for its early 20th century development. It is listed as a U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
The train station is located across the way of the Bernards Inn on route 202. It can take you into New York City and neighboring towns such as Summit, through the NJ Transit. The train station dates back to 1901 and runs along the Gladstone Branch of the Morris and Essex line of the NJ Transit.
The town runs in succession with highway route 202. There are extensive roads often referred to as “back roads” where it is easy for an outsider to get lost. Along these roads there are numerous of mansions sitting atop the mountain. Celebrities such as Mike Tyson, Marc Ecko, Meryl Streep, and Jacqueline Kennedy Onasis have lived here. Going into the neighboring town of Basking Ridge is highway 287 down Mt. Airy Road. Off of 287 one may go onto 78 and the NJ Turnpike and Parkway.
The town is more of a leisurely setting, a mix between suburban and rural.
- Roxiticus Golf Club (on the border of Mendham and Bernardsville). Olympic-size swimming pool, five hard tennis courts, and three paddle courts.
- . A small cinema in the center of Bernardsville. Three theaters.
- Bridgewater Mall (South of Bernardsville. Drive south on 287 to exit 17). food court and an AMC movie theatre.
Eat and drink
- Coffee Shop (In the center of town). This luncheonette is a family business. It has some of the best omelets and breakfast sandwiches in all of New Jersey.
- Buona’s Pizza, 19 Olcott Square Off Route 202. Tu-Th 11AM-9 PM; F-Sa 11AM-10PM; Su 4PM-9PM. Pastas, pizzas, submarine sandwiches
- Bernards Cafe (Downtown across from the Bernardsville Cinemas). This small cafe offers food at the gourmet level. It is a great place for locals to congregate especially families looking for a quick meal. They have excellent service and are well known for their burgers, salads, and subs. It has a huge window looking out onto the streets. Casual setting . They also offer food to go and delivery.
- Station Pub & Grub. Upscale restaurant that, while small, offers great cuisine and service.
- Bernards Inn. The hotel has an old agrarian style taking you back to a time of elegance and tranquility. It first welcomed guests in 1907 and has been a staple in the town ever since.
|Routes through Bernardsville|
|Parsippany ← Morristown ←||N S||→ Far Hills → Bridgewater|
|Peapack-Gladstone ← Far Hills ←||W E||→ Basking Ridge → Summit|