Big Rapids is a small city in West Michigan. It is the home of Ferris State University.
Gerald R. Ford International Airport (GRR IATA), . The airport for Grand Rapids and Kent County with daily flights (sometimes several) from most of the country's major hubs. From Grand Rapids airport, travel north on US-131 approximately 50 miles to exit 139 or 142 and follow the posted signs to town.
Big Rapids is a college town with plenty of activities to do. During the summer months one of the best things to do is tubing down the Muskegon River. There are two ways to go about it, either through buying your own tube and arrange travel between your starting and ending points if you have the resources or through renting a tube through a local business. If you are uncertain about travelling arrangements your best bet is through rental. Most people who do not rent usually start off from Northend Riverside Park and end at Highbanks Park. On the river its a fairly relaxed/party like atmosphere with plenty of fun opportunities. Most people will bring alcohol but be forewarned that glass bottles and Styrofoam coolers are prohibited by being punishable by fines. Most starting points for tubing are on the north side of town on the eastern side of the river.
Another fun thing to do is Disc Golfing at Northend Riverside Park. It is quite majestic during the summer months but is really hard to retrieve discs in the undergrowth, best off to go during the spring/fall months. It is a 18 hole course through a woods with a few holes over open grassy areas.
If none of the above are for you, then maybe try fishing in the Muskegon River or on one of the Lakes near Big Rapids. Most notable is Chippewa Lake, which has plenty of fish and is the largest inland lake nearby, or Rogers Dam, which is just south of town. If you enjoy hunting, there is also the Haymarsh Lake State Game Area. It is usually quite crowded during deer hunting season, but apart from that, it is a great area to view Michigan's beautiful natural wildlife and go target shooting.
- Bob Evans Restaurant, 840 Perry Ave, ☏ .
- Qdoba Mexican Grill, 836 S State St, ☏ .
- A & W, 304 N State St, ☏ . Drive-in restaurant, not open during winter
- Ruby Tuesday, 15397 Waldron Way, ☏ .
- Mancino's Pizza & Grinders, 544 S State St, ☏ .
- Schuberg's Bar, 109 N Michigan Ave, ☏ . Try the seafood chowder, only on Friday nights
- Blue Cow Cafe, 119 N MIchigan Ave, ☏ . The closest to fine dining you're likely to find in Big Rapids, the Blue Cow Cafe offers a wonderfully tasty and varied menu and a fully stocked bar.
- Cranker's Coney Island, 213 S State St, ☏ . The only place to get a gyro in Big Rapids. And while it's not the best gyro I've ever had, it will definitely do.
- Pepper's Cafe & Deli, 121 N Michigan Ave, ☏ . An eclectic array of sandwiches makes this the perfect spot for lunch
- Sawmill Saloon, 1003 Maple St, ☏ . Horseshoe pits out back
- Star Shooters, 120 S Michigan, ☏ .
- Holiday Inn, 1005 Perry Ave, ☏ .
- Country Inn & Suites, 15344 Waldron Way, ☏ .
|Routes through Big Rapids|
|Petoskey ← Reed City ←||N S||→ Grand Rapids → Kalamazoo|
|Jct ← Jct ←||W E||→ Mount Pleasant → Midland|