Biharinath is the second highest hill in sub-Himalayan West Bengal. It is 451 m (1,480 ft) high.
It is a place where one can take a break from drudgery and daily monotonous job and simply rejuvenate one's mind and soul. It is part of the wonderful Rarh countryside.
The tourist spot is located at the foot of the hill, near Biharinath temple. There are small villages in the area. Saltora and Tiluri are comparatively more populous places.
Biharinath is 16km from Madhukunda, a railway station on the Asansol-Adra track and off the Saltora-Madhukunda road.
One can travel by road from Raniganj via Saltora or across the Damodar River over the bridge near Dishergarh/ Sanctoria, travel a little towards Raghunathpur and turn left for the road to Madhukunda and then on to Biharinath.
Generally, road transport is not available for travel from Madhukunda railway station. It is better to hire a car for both-ways travel from either Raniganj or Asansol. Rates are negotiable. Taxi drivers quote rather high to start with. Be a hard bargainer!
One can also drive down from Kolkata to Biharinath. It will take approximately 5-6 hours. The route (around 230 km) is Kolkata > Dankuni > Bardhaman (NH 2 by passes the town area) > Durgapur > Raniganj (till here NH2) > Saltora> Biharinath. The drive down NH2 is a driving pleasure, but then once you are on the rural track, the drive through has its own charm.
Walk or have your own transport.Ask Biharinath Tourist Point( 033-69547111/8017202499) for a cab. It will be arranged.
- Biharinath Parbat. You can climb, take along a local guide (tip him) in order that you are not lost
- Biharinath Temple. Ancient Jain temple
- Hills and forests all around.
- Temple of Lord Shiva.
- Bamantora village. Nearby village with a high school. You can try the village 'Mudikhana' for emergency requirements.
- Burnpur Airstrip. You can land there with a small aircraft
- Damodar River. You can walk down through the village paths towards the river
- Enjoy mesmerising nature.
Raniganj and Asansol are the nearest urban shopping centres. Asansol is 16 km by train from Madhukunda railway station.
Eat at your place of stay.
- Atithisala, ☎ . Run by Saltora Block. Car pick up from Raniganj can be arranged.There is hardly any attached toilet room or restaurant. There is no generator or boundary wall. Rooms and toilets are not clean, no standard furniture or television in the room. Rs 250 per room, Rs. 450 per bed in 8-bed dormitory.
- Biharinath Tourist Point, ☎ . Basic urban style amenities and eatery with varied menu. Accommodations range from dormitory to A.C. "super deluxe" room.
- Garh Panchakot, historical ruins with a grand view of Panchet Lake
- Joychandi Pahar, popular for picnics and rock-climbing
- Panchet Dam
Those who have their own transport can easily make it to these places.