Europe > Britain and Ireland > United Kingdom > England > West Country > Somerset (England) > Taunton (England)
By road, leave the M5 motorway at exit 25. Taunton has a railway station on the main line from London Paddington (typical journey time 2h 05) to Exeter (25 minutes), Plymouth (1h 30), and Penzance (3h 40). Bristol is 35 minutes away by rail.
- First Great Western operate direct trains to London Paddington and to Worcester and Great Malvern.
- CrossCountry operate services to Taunton from Birmingham, Leeds, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
- Both companies run direct trains to Bristol and Cheltenham Spa, Exeter, Paignton, Plymouth, and Penzance.
- For train times, see National Rail Enquiries.
Buses link to Wellington, Bridgwater, Yeovil, Exeter, and Chard.
Traffic in Taunton is awful. A park and ride service has been added recently (The Taunton Flyer), see National Park and Ride Directory providing transport between the town centre and a large car park at Silk Mills.
Arguably the best options are to walk or take a bus. However, the bus and railway stations are a good 15 minutes' walk apart!
Buses are frequent during the week, but evenings and Sundays are very limited. Buses operated by Firstbus - They are expensive.
- 1 Museum of Somerset, Castle Green, TA1 4AA, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Sa and Bank Holiday M 10AM-5PM.
- 3 Somerset Cricket Museum, 7 Priory Ave, ☎ . 11 am to 3.30pm Tue- Fri Apr - Oct (phone if travelling). Small volunteer run museum about Cricket. £1.
- Castle Hotel, ☎ . Has a national reputation for cooking excellence, although the prices and formality reflect its fame.
All of the major fast food chains are represented, including two branches of both Subway and McDonalds. The town also boasts a range of coffee shops, including the major chains Starbucks, Costa and Caffe Nero.
- Pizza Express
- Brazz (separate restaurant attached to the Castle Hotel)
- Jenny @ Tristrams (East Reach)
- The Old Bear (Near Police Station)
- Malt and Hops (Pub with good food - Tancred St)
- Uddins (East Reach - Several Awards for its Currys)
- Willow Tree. Restaurant (cozy, award-winning, restaurant with superb food)
- Castle Hotel. Castle Green. rooms from £115
- Corner House Hotel, 4 Wellington Rd, ☎ . Rooms from £58.
- Holiday Inn Taunton, Deane Gate Avenue, +44 870 400 9080.