Europe > Britain and Ireland > United Kingdom > England > West Country > Somerset (England) > Taunton (England)
By road, leave the M5 motorway at exit 25. Taunton has a railway station on the main line from London Paddington (typical journey time 2 hr 5 min) to Exeter (25 min), Plymouth (1 hr 30 min), and Penzance (3 hr 40 min). Bristol is 35 min away by rail.
- First Great Western operate direct trains to London Paddington and to Worcester and Great Malvern.
- CrossCountry operate services to Taunton from Birmingham, Leeds, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
- Both companies run direct trains to Bristol and Cheltenham Spa, Exeter, Paignton, Plymouth, and Penzance.
- For train times, see National Rail Enquiries.
Traffic in Taunton is awful. A park and ride service (the Taunton Flyer) provides transport between the town centre and a large car park at Silk Mills.
The best options are to walk or take a bus. However, the bus and railway stations are a good 15 minutes' walk apart!
Buses are frequent during the week, but evenings and Sundays are very limited. Buses operated by Firstbus - They are expensive.
- 1 Museum of Somerset, Castle Green, TA1 4AA, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Tu-Sa and Bank Holiday M 10AM-5PM.
- 2 Somerset Cricket Museum, 7 Priory Ave, ☎ . Apr-Oct Tu-F 11AM-3:30PM (phone if travelling). Small volunteer-run museum about cricket. £1.
- 1 Brewhouse Theatre, ☎ . Profesional and community theatre.
- 2 Taunton Racecourse, B3170, Orchard Portman, TA3 7BL, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Racing at Taunton.
- 1 Taunton Deane services. Taunton Deane services both northbound and southbound have a WH Smith that sell all kinds of supplies and souvenirs including wooden carvings, aluminium lettering and even Buddha statues.
All of the major fast food chains are represented, including two branches each of Subway and McDonalds. The town has a range of coffee shops, including the major chains Starbucks, Costa and Caffè Nero.
- 1 Pizza Express, 20 Bridge Street, TA1 1UB, ☎ . Su-Th: 11:30AM-10PM, F-Sa: 11:30AM-11PM.
- 2 @Tristans, 11 East Reach, TA1 3EW, ☎ . Tu-Th: 6:30PM-midnight, F-Sa: 6PM-midnight, Su-M: Closed.
- 3 Castle Bow Restaurant (Castle Hotel), ☎ . Has a national reputation for cooking excellence, although the prices and formality reflect its fame. The hotel also has Brazz (with mains from £10). tasting menu £55, mains from £16.50.
- 4 Willow Tree, 3 Tower Lane, ☎ . Tu W F Sa from 6:30PM. Restaurant (cozy, award-winning, restaurant with superb food), open only in the evening. from £28.
- 1 The Perkin Warbeck, 22–23 East Street, TA1 3LP, ☎ . Su-Th: 8AM-midnight, F: 8AM-1AM, Sa: 8AM-2AM. JD Wetherspoon's pub. It's name comes from the supposed heir to the throne who marched an army into Taunton and was executed at the castle.
- 2 The Coal Orchard, 30 Bridge St, TA1 1UD, ☎ . Su-Th: 8AM-midnight, F-Sa: 8AM-1AM. JD Wetherspoon's pub.
- 2 Corner House Hotel, 4 Wellington Rd, ☎ . 45-room hotel spread over three buildings, but with no lift. Rooms from £61.