Bogense is a city in Fyn. It is at northwest Funen at the kattegat coast. It is a historic city of 4,000 inhabitants and a history of over 700 years, now being a city based on tourism with a large marina, camping sites and close to beaches.
Bogense got its town rights in 1288. The city thrived in the next centuries, a church was built and a number of merchant's houses as well. The city suffered from a fire and Danish-Swedish wars in the 17th century. The development did not take off again until the building of a harbour and a railway station in the 19th century bringing industry to the city. The railway was closed in 1966, the industry gradually disappeared, and the small city transformed into the present day touristic city.
The city is manageable by foot. There are also a few city buses.
Taxis will usually have to be called, try one of these:
- Karsten's Taxi, +45 6481 1990
- Kæmpe's Taxi, +45 6484 1169, 6481 1169
- Christiansen's Taxi og Busser, +45 6485 1212, 6484 1485
- 1 Saint Nicholas Church (Sankt Nikolaj kirke), Kirkestræde 39, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The present church is built in 1406 on top of an older one from a couple of hundred years earlier.
- 2 The Old Merchant's House (Den Gamle Købmandsgaard), Østergade 19. In the centre of town, a number of beautiful old merchant's houses can be seen. The best preserved and most famous is this timbered house from the 18th century, now housing a furniture store.
- 3 Erik Menved's Inn (Erik Menveds Kro), Østergade 2, ☏ . 10:00-21:00, Oct-Apr M-Fr 11:00-16:00, Sa 10:00-16:00. Built in 1543 and the oldest house in town. Traditional danish food. The specialty is the omelette with fried smoked pork rind. DKK 130 lunch, 3 course dinner DKK 290.
- 4 City Brook (Bybækken).
- 5 Bogense Marina.
- 6 Harridslevgaard Castle (Harridslevgaard Slot).
- 7 Æbelø (North East of Bogense. You can walk the 1.5 km to Æbelø at low tide from Lindøhoved.). Small uninhabitated island with a wild nature.
- 8 Nordfyns Museum, Vestergade 16, ☏ . Jun-Aug Tu-F 10:00-16:00, Jul-Aug Su 13:00-16:00. Sep-May Tu-W 10:00-16:00. DKK 20.
- 9 Kunstgaarden.
- 10 Ditlevsdal Bison Farm, Tokkerodvej 24, Morud, ☏ . Bison farm, guided tours, farm shop, guest house and restaurant
- 11 Bogense City Hall.
- 12 Bogense City Square.
- 1 RamaZang (Nordfyns Amatør Teater), Kristianslundsvej 1, ☏ . Amateur Theater
- 2 Bogense Marina Strand.
- 3 Skåstrup Strand.
- Rosenfestival. first weekend in August. Free, A DKK 20 festival ticket for access to city hall exhibition. DKK 50 parking including two festival tickets.
- Bogense By Night.
- 1 Restaurant Marinetten, Sejlerkajen 3 (at the marina), ☏ .
- 2 Restaurant Røgeriet, Vestre Havnevej 29A, ☏ . Seafood and steaks DKK 220 evening buffet.
- 3 Juels Café, Østre Havnevej 18, Østre Mole, ☏ . Spring to September.
- 1 Kyst Camping Bogense, Østre Havnevej 1,, ☏ .
- 2 Bogense Strand Camping, Vestre Engvej 11, ☏ .
- 3 Bogense Hotel, Adelgade 56, ☏ .
- 4 Lunds Hotel, Østre Havnevej 24, ☏ . Check-in: 15:00-18:00, check-out: 08:00-11:00.
Internet cafes are available at the marina and the camping sites.