Bordowa than, also known as Batadrava Than, is in Nagaon district, Assam, and is known as the birthplace of Mahapurush Srimanta Sarkardev, born in 1494 AD. A lot of foreigners come to visit here to learn Sattriya dance and also do some research on Vaishnavism, the worship of the God Vishnu of the Hindu trinity.
Bordua is known for
- Bordowa Than or Satra established in 1465AD
- Aliphukhuri a pious pond 600 years old
- Laikhuta a pillar planted by Changkhan, a Muslim tailor who first saw Sankardev's greatness and sainthood.
- Namghariya Sanskriti a monolithic culture of believing in one God and no idol worship established by Mahapurush Srimanta Sankardev
- Bel Gosh a tree nearly 600 years old near Alipukhuri and Bordowa Than, the leaves of which are used for anjali, the offerings to God and also for prasad distribution.
Spoken languages in the area are Assamese and Hindi, with English spoken by a few people in the area.
Pleasant and calm temperature around 9-14° winter. Rainy season, June to September. Summer season in April to May temperature 19-28°.
Calm and pleasant April to May, temperature around 19-21°. October to March is winter. Best time to visit is during Holi or Dol Jatra during the first week of March.
Dol Jatra Mela
Dol Jatra or Poornima of Fagun, which is held during the first week of March every year, is the festival of colours and love and devotion.
Fly to Guwahati and then travel by road.
Nearest railway station is Raiding 3 km away.
- Nagaon railway station is 18 km away, Tempo service available.
- Haiborgaon junction is 17 km away from Bordua Tempo service available.
Bus and taxi services are available. Tempo service available. TomTom e-rickshaw service available.
Srimanta Than in and around Raas and during Holi the festival of colours locally known as Dol Yatra.
Famous for research work on Sattriya and Vaishnavism.
Buy Virdavani vastra, Muga and Pat silk clothes. Assamese Japi, Gamosa, Sarai, etc.
Eat rice , dal, fish etc. Bordua is known for kumal rice, also known as soft rice. You can also have tea, snacks and sweets outside the main gate in the small snack shops.
When you are in Assam or any part of Assam you may drink the most special beverage here, tea.
In Bordua one can stay in an AirBNB; otherwise, look at Nagaon#Sleep only 18 km away.