Boring, an unincorporated community of 8,000 people in the Willamette Valley, Oregon, is twinned with Dull, Scotland and Bland, Australia. The Boring official slogan is "The most exciting place to live."
The town is named for William H. Boring, a Union veteran who had moved to Oregon after the Civil War as one of the earliest settlers in the area and donated an acre to build the first Boring school. Boring was established as a rail junction in 1903 (the lines of the defunct Portland Traction Company, which ran from Portland to Boring, are now mostly trails) and relied on timber as a principal industry for much of the 20th century.
Since 2012, Boring's sister city is tiny Dull, Perthshire, Scotland (pop. 85), a former seventh-century monastery site on the north shore of the Tay River. This partnership has brought many Boring visitors to the one tiny Dull corner of old Scotland and generated publicity for both communities. Along with former gold mining and farming area Bland Shire, West Wyalong, Australia (pop 6,000), these villages form the "League of Extraordinary Communities", a grouping to promote Dull, Bland and Boring by capitalizing on their unique names.
There is no public transport in this Boring town.
- 1 Mount Hood National Forest, 16400 Champion Way, Sandy OR 97055 (headquarters), ☏ . At its closest point, the forest is 25 miles (40km) southeast of Boring on US26. Camping is permitted.
- Mountain View Golf Course, 27195 SE Kelso Road, ☏ . 18-hole course with view of Mt. Hood, pro shop, café downstairs with sandwiches, snacks and beverages, upstairs restaurant and lounge. $20 (9 holes) - $35 (18 holes), lower rates at off-peak times..
- 1 Springwater Corridor Trail. The right-of-way of the former rail line from Boring through Gresham to Portland (1903-1989), the Springwater Corridor Trail follows Johnson Creek into the city.
- Boring & Dull Day. Aug. 9. Annual celebration of sibling village relationship with Dull, Scotland includes a barbershop quartet performance, an ice cream social, an Oregon National Guard flag salute, Scottish bagpiper and drummer. “Welcome to Dull, Paired with Boring, Oregon, USA: Drive Safely.”
The Boring Community Planning Organization has been selling commemorative "Boring & Dull" t-shirts, mugs and merchandise.
There is also a raffle for a trip to Dull, Scotland.
- Nuts On Sports Pizza, 31265 SE Compton Rd, ☏ .
- Red Apple Restaurant, 28300 SE 282nd Ave, ☏ . Greasy spoon, good breakfast, American and Chinese cuisine.
- Backroads Pub & Grub, 13230 SE Orient Dr, ☏ . 9AM-2:30AM daily.
- 1 Not So Boring Bar & Grill, 28014 SE Wally Rd, ☏ . Chicken, burgers, beer, various 'not so boring' events.
- Timber Pub and Grub, 28052 SE Highway 212, ☏ . Craft beers, t-shirts with slogan "We love Boring people"
- Best Western Sandy Inn, 37465 US 26, Sandy OR 97055, ☏ . Sandy is directly southeast of Boring on US26.
- Additional lodging options are available in Gresham, South Portland and Clackamas
|Routes through Boring|
|Portland ← Gresham ←||W E||→ Government Camp → Prineville|