Bowie is a suburban bedroom community of Washington, D.C.. While Bowie's history goes back over a century, much of the city consists of ranch and Cape Cod homes built in the 1960s and 1970s as a planned community by Levitt. Lately, Bowie has grown by annexing various developments that have sprouted up around the city's edge since the mid-1980s. The visitor can still find vestiges of historical Bowie—most notably, the railroads and horse farms that defined Bowie in the pre-Levitt era.
- Baltimore-Washington International Airport (IATA: BWI) is located 20 miles southwest of Bowie via MD197 and MD295.
- Washington Reagan National Airport (IATA: DCA) is located 23 miles southwest of Bowie via US 50 (through Washington, D.C.).
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IATA: IAD) is located 45 miles west of Bowie via the Capital Beltway.
Bowie is best navigated by car.
The Washington, Baltimore & Annapolis Trail runs through the northern part of Bowie and there are various other networks of bike paths and on-street bike routes.
Unfortunately, Route 50 bisects the city and has few bike-friendly crossings.
- Belair Mansion, 12207 Tulip Grove Dr., ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su Noon-4PM. Built in 1745 by Samuel Ogle, the provincial governor of Maryland, the mansion serves today as an historical museum operated by the city. Free.
- Belair Stable Museum, 2835 Belair Dr., ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Tu-Su Noon-4PM. Most of modern-day Bowie was once a stud farm where champion thoroughbred race horses were born and raised. The Belair Stables operated for roughly 200 years and is famous for producing two Triple Crown champions (Gallant Fox and Omaha). Free.
- Bowie Railroad Museum, 8614 Chestnut Ave. (Old Town Bowie), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su 10AM-4PM. Free.
- Bowie Welcome Center and Children's Museum, 8606 Chestnut Ave. (Corner of 11th and Chestnut), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Tu-Su 10AM-4PM. Learn the history of Bowie through exhibits and hands-on activities for children. Visitor information for Bowie and local attractions. Free.
- John Wayne Museum, 6870 Race Track Road (Hilltop Plaza). As a young man, real estate agent Bill Atkins was an extra in "The Flying Leathernecks". Now he has turned his office into a shrine to "The Duke".
- National Capital Radio & Television Museum, 2608 Mitchellville Rd., ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Fr 10AM-5PM, Sa-Su 1PM-5PM. Free.
- Prince George's County Genealogy Library, 12219 Tulip Grove Drive, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. We 10AM-7PM, except 1st We 10AM-1PM, last Sa 1PM-5PM. Research your Prince George's County family history in the 4000 books, periodicals, microforms and other records. Free.
- Allen Pond Park, 3330 Northview Dr., ☎ . Sunrise to Sunset. City park featuring a small lake with canoe rentals and fishing, amphitheater for summer outdoor performances, ice skating rink, skate park and playgrounds. Free.
- Bowie Baysox Minor League Baseball Team, 4101 Crain Highway, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Double-A level minor league baseball team, affiliated with the Baltimore Orioles. $10-15.
- Bowie Playhouse, 16500 Whitemarsh Park Drive (From Route 3, enter Whitemarsh Park and drive to the back parking lot). Tucked away in the woods at the back of Whitemarsh Park, the 150-seat Bowie Playhouse is home to four amateur theater companies and features dramas, musicals and Shakespeare year round.
- Bowie Center for the Performing Arts, 15200 Annapolis Road, ☎ . A concert hall that features a variety of college, high school and community concerts and theatrical productions.
Bowie has a variety of malls, but little that's likely to pique the interest of the picky shopper. Two of the malls are Bowie Town Center and Free State Mall. Some of the antique shops in Old Town may be worth your time.
- Grace's Fortune, 15500 Annapolis Road # 115 (Free State Mall), ☎ . An excellent choice for Chinese food in Bowie.
- Ichiban Sushi, 3921 Evergreen Parkway, Bowie, ☎ , fax: +1 301 352-9136. Su-Th 11AM-10PM F-Sa 11AM-11PM. Try the "Sushi Red & White", or for non-sushi eaters, the Chinese menu.
- Lima's Chicken, 3552 Crain Hwy, ☎ , fax: +1 301 262-6989. M-F 10:30AM-10PM, Sa 11AM-10PM, Su 11AM-9PM. Charbroiled chicken and other Peruvian specialties.
- Mama Cocoa’s Delights, 13015 9th St. (Old Town Bowie), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. W-Su 11AM-5PM. Operated by pastry chef Tamarra Thomas, winner of the Food Network's "Sweet Genius" reality show.
- Rip's Country Inn, 3809 Crain Hwy (US 301 at the MD 197 intersection). Not one of the too-many plastic chain restaurants that infect Bowie. Rip's has served Bowie with casual dining for more than 50 years
- T.J. Elliott's, 6814 Laurel-Bowie Road (Rte. 197 & Old Chapel Road), ☎ . Su 8:30AM-10PM, M-Th 11AM-10PM, Fr 11AM-11PM, Sa 8:30AM-11PM. Owned by the Marcos family that started the original Ledo restaurant in College Park, T.J. Elliott's serves tasty Italian food in addition to Ledo pizza.
- DuClaw Brewing Company, 4000 Town Center Blvd, ☎ , fax: +1 301 809-0833. Su-Th 11AM-Mid F-Sa 11AM-12:30AM. This Maryland brewpub in Bowie Town Center has good food in addition to their own brews.
- Old Bowie Town Grille, 8604 Chestnut Avenue (Corner of Chestnut and 11th Street in the old town area), ☎ . Tues-Sun, 11AM to late. Closed Mondays. Live music several nights a week. Craft beers on draft in an Irish-pub setting with a family-owned restaurant.
- Comfort Inn, 4500 Crain Hwy. (US 301 at US 50), ☎ .
- Hampton Inn, 15202 Major Lansdale Blvd. (near US 50 and MD 197), ☎ , fax: +1 301 809-2515.
- Rip's Country Inn, 3809 N. Crain Hwy. (US 301, 1 mile south of US 50).
- Towneplace Suites, 3700 Town Center Blvd. (near US 50 and MD 197), ☎ , fax: +1 301 262-8046.
- Greenbelt is a historic New Deal Town just next door with venues for live music and NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center visitor center.
- College Park is home to the University of Maryland's largest campus.
- Washington, D.C.
|Routes through Bowie|
|Washington, D.C. ← New Carrollton ←||W E||→ Annapolis → Salisbury|
|Richmond ← Waldorf ←||S N||→ Annapolis → Glasgow|