The Branford train station is located on the west side of Maple Street and includes a high-level handicapped accessible south side platform for level boarding and bicycle racks. Shore Line East tickets cannot be purchased at this station. Tickets can be purchased on Shore Line East trains in cash with bills no greater than $20. Free parking is available for Shore Line East commuters.
Branford can be reached on I-95. Branford's exits are 53 (only on the northbound side), 54, 55, and 56.
Branford is only a few miles away from Tweed New Haven Airport.
Brewer Bruce & Johnson's Marina is conveniently located near New York City and only a few miles from New Haven. In addition, Brewer Bruce and Johnson's is very close to wonderful weekend cruising destinations. The Thimble Islands, with 30 islands for anchoring, birding and exploring, are only three miles away. Port Jefferson, with its great shops, numerous restaurants and historic houses is a short jaunt across the Sound. Additional sites to see include: Stony Creek's Trolley Trail and the Harrison House Museum. With 20 miles of coastline on Long Island Sound, Branford is an idyllic setting for traveling boaters plus offers endless opportunities for hiking, cycling and kayaking.
- Shore Line Trolley Museum (Branford Electric Railway Association), 17 River Street (East Haven), ☏ . Seasonal - check website. Museum features displays and hands-on exhibits, a collection of nearly 100 vintage trolleys, guided tours, and trolley rides along the historic Branford Electric Railway. Located at 17 River St. in nearby East Haven. Children under 2 are free. Open seasonally, scheduling may vary, be sure to see website for details.
Branford also has a number of beaches to spend a lazy day in the sun. There are numerous marinas in the town as well, so bring your boat for a fun day in the water. At night be sure to check out Regal Cinemas. With its easy location right off the highway and showing all the hottest movies, the movie theater is a great way to spend a night out or find something to do on a boring Sunday.
- Regal Cinemas, 325 E MAIN ST. $10.75.
- Branford Point Beach. 10AM-10PM (park). While visiting the park there are facilities for swimming as well as picnicking. There is a small playground for younger children to enjoy. Fishing is prohibited in the swimming area, but is allowed from the end of the pier. Small boats, canoes, kayaks, jet skis, etc. maybe launched from the State Boat launch, located on Goodsell Point Road.
- Thimble Islands tour (I-95 to exit 56, south on Leetes Island Rd to Thimble Islands Rd. All tours depart from Stony Creek Public Dock.). See an archipelago of tiny islands, many with lavish homes. Legend says that Captain Kidd buried his treasure here. Three 45-minute tours per hour leave during peak season. No reservations. ~$14.
- Branford Supply Ponds trails. Several scenic forest trails wind around the Branford Supply Ponds.
- Branford Art Center Gallery, 1227 Main St., ☏ . Various local artists are featured in displays, and their works are frequently up for purchase.
- Branford Book & Card Shoppe, 1024 Main St., ☏ . This quaint store sells various goods including decorations, cards, magazines, candies, books, and unique Branford pillows with various locations and coordinates in the town.
There are many places to eat in Branford, ranging from restaurant chain classics to exquisite fine dining. If you're on a tight budget be sure to check out the Gourmet Wok for all of your favorite, yet inexpensive Chinese food. If you don't like Chinese, the Parthenon Diner has a wide variety of food for cheap. It even has some expensive things if you please, but the majority of the food is relatively inexpensive. If you're looking for a good mid-priced bar & grill, be sure to check out Eli's or Humphrey's for good burgers and fun. If you're looking to splurge on some fine dining be sure to check out La Luna for amazing Italian food, or the USS Chowder Pot III, which is home to some of the best seafood in New England.
- Gourmet Wok, 365 E Main St, ☏ . Excellent Chinese food, big portions! Can eat in or take out. $6-10.
- Parthenon Diner, 374 East Main St, ☏ . 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (except for select holidays). Great selection of food, ranging from breakfast favorites to big steaks. Personal jukeboxes are found on every table! Beware of the drunken young adult crowd in the early morning hours on weekends. $5-20.
- Scotty's Breakfast Connections, 1188 Main St, ☏ . Great breakfast food.
- Eli's on the Hill, 624 West Main Street (Rt. 1 on Branford Hill ~ site of the Former Cook House Restaurant), ☏ . Burgers and steaks are good, nice selection of drinks.
- Humphrey's Bar & Grille, 5 Sycamore Way, ☏ . Sun-Thurs 11:30AM-12AM. Great selection of burgers and drinks. Fun atmosphere.
- Augie's Restaurant, 130 Shore Drive, ☏ . Tues-Thurs: 5PM-9PM; Fri-Sat: 5PM-10PM; Sun: 11AM-3PM, 5PM-9PM. A selection of Mediterranean and American comfort food prepared fresh using quality local ingredients. Some of the menu is different each time, although favorites are always served. Sunday 11AM-3PM is a fixed price brunch, all other times dinner is served. Very fresh, very local, family run, and the owner takes preparing quality food seriously.
- La Luna Ristorante, 168 North Main Street, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com.
- USS Chowder Pot III, 560 East Main Street, ☏ . Excellent seafood. The lobster and Poppy John Shrimp (grilled shrimp wrapped in bacon with mozzarella cheese) are great choices.
- Stony Creek Brewery, 5 Indian Neck Ave., ☏ . Local drinking place on the water. Food trucks park outside and sell food, while the brewery sells its own beers.
There are numerous places to stay in Branford. While the town does not have any "high class" hotels, they do have some very accommodating chains. A good one to pick from is the Holiday Inn Express on Rt. 1. You can't miss it with its dolphin fountain in front of the lobby. Beware of the places that look dingy, they most likely are. The Branford Motel is a haven for high schooler's parties and drug deals. If possible, Stay away!
- Branford Motel, 470 East Main St, ☏ . Small, single bed rooms that look dingy. Young people are known to throw parties here. Avoid if possible.
- Rodeway Inn, 81 Leetes Island Rd, ☏ .
- Baymont Inn & Suites, 3 Business Park Dr (I-95 Exit 56 N/S , Easy on/ off), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12PM. From $79.
- Holiday Inn Express, 309 East Main Street, ☏ , fax: . Clean rooms, WiFi accessible
|Routes through Branford|
|Providence ← Guilford ←||N S||→ East Haven → New Haven|
|Providence ← Guilford ←||N S||→ East Haven → New Haven|
|Stamford ← New Haven ←||W E||→ Guilford → New London|