East Haven is a town in Connecticut located three minutes' drive from New Haven and 35 miles from Hartford. It is part of the Greater New Haven area, founded in 1683. The town's population was a bit over 29,000 as of 2010. It is known for its primarily Italian-American population. The shape of the town is vertically long, and split into three different areas: Foxon, the Center, and Momauguin. Foxon is the northernmost section and is surrounded Branford and North Branford as well as New Haven. The Center is not geographically the center of town, but contains the town hall, library, and the green, surrounded by a suburban area. Momauguin, to the south, borders New Haven along the coastline and contains the Tweed New Haven Regional Airport.
I-95 South exit 52 or 51 I-95 North exit 51 I-91 which is on the west of town and it intersects with the town at the Foxon line and connects with the north of Branford Rt 1 is parallel to I-95 through, what is called, the "Center" of town and connects to State Route 100.
Tweed New Haven Regional Airport on the border of New Haven. Located at 155 Burr St. Telephone: +1 203-466-8888.
CT Transit – Public bus system running throughout Connecticut, including within East Haven.
Route 100 runs across East Haven to connect the "central" area with the "Foxon" area.
- Shoreline Trolley Museum, 17 River St, ☏ . Includes displays and hands-on exhibits, a guided tour of nearly 100 vintage trolleys, as well as a variety of trolley rides along the historical Branford Electric Railway. April, November, December through the 17th: Sundays from10AM-5PM with trolleys running all day. May, September, October: Sat and Sun from 10AM-5PM. Summer hours (Memorial Day-Labor Day): every day from 10AM-5PM. Scheduling may vary, see website for details. Admission: adult $8, senior $6, child (2-5) $4. Family value: 2 adults and unlimited children $24. Children under 2 are free.
- East Haven Historical Society Museum, 200 Tyler Avenue (Old East Haven High School). Hours: Wednesday from 11AM to 2PM or by appointment.
- AMF Circle Lanes, 525 Main St., ☏ . Bowling.
- East Haven Town Beach. Located along Cosey Beach Ave. Includes picnic area, playground, volleyball and bocci courts. Fee for non-residents to park and use the beach.
- Self-Guided Tour of East Haven Green. Located where Main St. (Rt 100) and Hemingway Ave. meet. Across from 300 Hemingway Ave.
Seasonal Town Events. In the fall, typically late September, the town hosts the Fall Festival in the center of town, where they set up merchant and food stands, carnival rides, band performances, a classic car show, and raffles. On Independence Day, the town hosts a beach party on the East Haven Town Beach. Every year the town has a popular Memorial Day Parade, and every fifth year it hosts the Columbus Day Parade, which is shared with five other cities and towns in southern Connecticut.
- East Haven Plaza Shopping Center, 656 Main St., ☏ .
- Palmer’s Jewelers, 428 Main St., ☏ . Family-owned fine jewelry retailer. Custom-made and brand name items. Custom orders available. Jewelry and watch repair and polishing. You can bring in your old gold to sell to Palmer’s for cash.
- Petonito's Pastry Shop, 190 Main St. (East Haven Mall), ☏ . Tues-Sat 8:30-5:30, Sun 8:30-1:00, closed Monday. A traditional Italian pastry shop specializing in wedding cakes.
- Aniello Pizza and Italian Restaurant, 346 Hemingway Ave., ☏ . Mon-Thurs 11AM-10PM, Fri-Sat 11AM-11PM, Sun 12PM-10PM. Italian cuisine and grinders ranging from $6 to $20 depending on meal type, with most falling evenly in between. Normal and gourmet pizzas are available, as well as stuffed breads.
- Antonio’s Ristorante. 672 Main St. Telephone: +1 203-469-2386. Classic Italian dishes with a modern twist. Prices are a bit on the high side, typically from $13 to $23 for meals, and a variety of wines available, both inexpensive and costly. Hours: Tues-Fri Lunch 11:30AM-2PM Dinner 5PM-10PM, Sat Dinner 5PM-10PM, Sun Dinner 4PM-9PM, closed Monday.
- Apizza Grande, 620 Coe Ave., ☏ . Italian restaurant, catering, and pizza.
- Brickhouse Restaurant, 383 Main St., ☏ . American cuisine; hamburgers, sandwiches, and seafood.
- Capotorto’s Apizza Center, 945 Foxon Rd., ☏ . Tues-Sat 11AM-10PM, Sun 12PM-9PM, closed Monday. Traditional thin-crust pizza with a variety of toppings. Stuffed breads, calzones, Italian grinders, pasta dinners and more available.
- Country Kitchen, 220 Main St., ☏ . Serves breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert and has a kid’s menu. The menu is varied but sticks to traditional American/Southwestern foods typically found in diners.
- Chili’s Grill & Bar. 58 Frontage Rd. Telephone: +1 203-467-1533. Chain restaurant specializing in American and Southwestern cuisine. It has a very active yet cozy atmosphere and is a popular lunch and dinner spot for groups of friends, families, and parties. The service is generally friendly and fast. Some nights, such as Fridays and Saturdays, may be busy, and there is the possibility of a wait but usually not. Aside from the restaurant, there is a bar with sports TV.
- China Star, 214 Main St., ☏ . Mon-Thurs 11AM-11PM, Fri-Sat 11AM-11:30PM, Sun 12PM-10:30PM. Chinese take-out.
- De Palma’s Apizza, 440 Main St., ☏ .
- Foliage Chinese Restaurant, 452 Main St., ☏ . Mon-Thurs 11AM-11PM, Fri-Sat 11AM-11:30PM, Sun 12PM-10:30PM. Chinese take-out.
- Giuseppe’s Apizza, 853 Foxon Rd., ☏ .
- Jennifer’s Ice Cream, 388 Main St., ☏ . Summer hours (Memorial to Labor day): 10AM – 10PM. Winter hours (Labor to Memorial Day): Tues-Thurs 11AM - 9PM, Fri 11AM - 10PM, Sat 10AM – 10PM, Sun 10AM-9PM, closed Monday. Closed Dec 25 – Jan 10.. 22 flavors! Also serves cakes and other frozen treats. The milkshakes are delicious.
- John and Maria's, 280 Foxon Rd., ☏ . Sun-Mon 3-9PM, Tues-Thurs 12-930PM Fri-Sat 12-10PM. A cute little pizza shop on the Foxon side of town. Since 1990 they have been serving Southern Italian recipes. They have catering and a great variety of food; anywhere from a salad to a pizza or eggplant parmesian.
- La Bamba, 460 Main St., ☏ . Ecuadorian cuisine.
- Lapergola Cucina Mediterranea, 408 Main St., ☏ . Italian cuisine.
- [dead link] Minervini’s, 216A Main St, ☏ . Tues-Sat 11AM-10PM, Sun 3PM-9PM, closed Monday. Pizzeria and restaurant, also serving calzones, stuffed breads, subs, pasta, and other items. Though small, the place is nicely decorated and the service friendly, making it a cozy spot. The pizza's good, too!
- Our Oasis [dead link], 664 Coe Ave. Telephone: 203-466-2747. Middle Eastern as well as American cuisine restaurant and delicatessen. Breakfast, lunch and dinner served. Prices are generally cheap, under $10.
- The Rib House, 16 Main St., ☏ . Mon-Thurs 4PM-10PM, Fri 4PM-11PM, Sat 3PM-11PM, Sun 1PM-9PM. American restaurant and sports bar featuring barbeque. Take-out available.
- Ristorante Faustini, 190 Main St., ☏ . Mainly Italian cuisine. A small place, so reservations recommended. Prices range from $10 to $17, usually falling fairly in between.
- Sandpiper Restaurant, 161 Cosey Beach Ave., ☏ . Sun-Thurs 11AM-9PM, Fri-Sat 11AM-9:30PM. Specializes in seafood, yet carries other options such as steak, chicken and pasta dishes. Kids menu available. Restaurant area as well as front area to order ice cream and smaller meals. Popular spot for beach-goers, with the East Haven Beach is right across the street. Prices range from about $4 to $27 depending on meal type.
- Tolli’s Apizza, 410 Main St. Telephone: +1 203-469-9582. . Brick oven pizza (normal and gourmet), wraps, grinders, and some Italian meal options ranging from $10 to $15. Lunch menu with wraps, burgers, and other items available all for under $10. It is beautifully decorated, inside and out, in a distinctly Mediterranean style. Includes a bar.
- Twin Pines Diner, 34 Main St., ☏ . Large and varied menu with breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert, along with a lot of specials. Typically good service and food. Price average is $10, give or take a few.
- Foxon Park sodas. Sold at most pizzerias in town, as well as at certain grocery and convenience stores. Foxon Park Beverages, Inc. is a soda manufacturer located in East Haven, whose products can be found in restaurants throughout the state, most notably in the more famous pizzerias in New Haven. They are a local favorite, known for their 18 unique flavors and the use of real sugar.
- Barra’s Café, 679 Main St., ☏ .
- Columbia Coffee Inc, 192 Commerce St., ☏ . Coffee, tea, and fruit juice.
- Dunkin Donuts. 91 Frontage Rd (+1 203-468-3800) and 320 Main St (+1 203-469-9211).
- Smitty’s East Side Café, 212b Main St, ☏ . Lunch also available.
- Quality Inn, 30 Frontage Rd., ☏ . Mixed reviews, with some claiming there are filthy rooms. Location is next to a highway, so noise may be an issue. However, complimentary breakfast and coffee is included! All rooms come with air conditioning, cable television, and high speed internet. Outdoor swimming pool. Pets are accepted. Prices from $74 a night.
- Baymont Inn & Suites, 3 Business Park Dr, Branford, CT 06405 (I-95 N/S EXIT 56. Easy on/off), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12 noon. From $79.
- 3 Miles away is the city of New Haven, home of Yale University.
- 35 miles away is Hartford
- 85 miles is New York City.
|Routes through East Haven|
|Providence ← Branford ←||N S||→ New Haven → New York City|
|Providence ← Branford ←||N S||→ New Haven → New York City|