Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bridgnorth is a historic market market town on the banks of the River Severn in Shropshire, England. The town is built on two levels, with the upper level dominated by the remains of a medieval castle keep which leans at an angle greater than the leaning tower of Pisa.
- 297 – Arriva: Bridgnorth → Danesford → Quatford → Quatt → Romsley → Upper Arley → Shatterford → Trimpley → Low Habberly → Kidderminster
- 9 – Arriva: Telford → Dawley → Horsehay → Coalbrookdale → Ironbridge → Broseley → Bridgnorth → Wolverhampton
- 113, 114, 115, 116 – Arriva: Telford → Shifnal → The Hem → Brockton → Sutton Maddock → Norton → Rindleford Turn → Bridgnorth
Bridgnorth station is no longer part of National Rail and instead used for the Severn Valley Railway.
The nearest stations are in Telford (about 12.5 mi (20.1 km) away), Shrewsbury (about 15 mi (24 km) away) and Wolverhampton (about 18.7 mi (30.1 km) away) respectively.
- 1 St Leonard's Church.
- 2 Church of St. Mary Magdalene. Situated on the site of Bridgnorth Castle's former chapel is a neoclassical church built by Thomas Telford.
- 3 Bridgnorth Castle, ☏ +44 7500 937092. The remains of Bridgnorth Castle that was destroyed during the English Civil War. All that is left is the castle keep which slants at a 15 degree angle, much more than the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
- 4 Northgate Museum, Northgate, WV16 4ER, ☏ +44 1746 762206. W, Sa-Su: 1:00PM-4:00PM (also open on bank holiday Mondays). Free, but donations encouraged.
- 5 Daniels Mill, The Cankhorn, Eardington, WV16 5JL, ☏ +44 1746 769793. An old (but still operational) cast-iron waterwheel, the largest in England. Flour from the mill is sold in local shops.
- 6 Upton Cressett Hall, Upton Cressett, WV16 6UH, ☏ +44 1746 714616.
- 7 Morville Hall, Morville, WV16 5NB, ☏ +44 1746 780838. House has 4 opening weekends in 2018. A 16th century manor house.
- 1 Theatre on the Steps, Stoneway Steps, WV16 4BD, ☏ +44 1746 764949.
- 2 Majestic Cinema, Whitburn St, Bridgnorth WV16, ☏ +44 1746 761815. A small run-down Art-Deco cinema.
- 3 Bridgnorth Cliff Railway, 6A Castle Terrace, WV16 4AH. M-Sa: 8AM-8PM, Su: noon-8PM (summer), M-Sa: 8AM-6:30PM, Su: noon-6:30PM (winter). Described as the oldest, steepest and shortest funicular railway in England, connecting the High and Low Town. It can be a scenic way to get around and is open most of the year.
- 4 Severn Valley Railway, Bridgnorth Station, Hollybush Road, WV16 5DT, ☏ +44 1299 403816. Preserved steam railway which runs to Kidderminster.
- Explore the High Street which has a Saturday morning market.
- 1 Catherine's Bakery, 13 High St, WV16 4DB, ☏ +44 1746 762987. For wonderful bread and cakes. The jam doughnuts are a must have.
- 2 Beaman's, 46 High St, WV16 4DX. A traditional butchers.
- Both churches sell souvenirs.
- 1 [formerly dead link] The Kings Head, Whitburn St, WV16 4QN, ☏ +44 1746 762141. Award-winning former coaching inn.
- 2 Peepo Pizza, 84-85 High St, WV16 4DS, ☏ +44 1746 766220. Italian pizzeria.
- 3 Knickerbockers, 2 Underhill St, WV16 4BB, ☏ +44 7812 372414. A small ice-cream parlour and cafe. Cash only.
- 1 The Stable Bar, 3 Whitburn St, WV16 4QN, ☏ +44 1746 764243. A must, does very nice tapas style food.
- 2 Jewel of the Severn, 80–81 High St, WV16 4DS, ☏ +44 1746 711980. Su-Th: 8AM-11PM, F-Sa: 8AM-midnight. Bridgnorth's own JD Wetherspoon's pub.
- 1 Severn Arms B & B, 3 Underhill St, WV16 4BB, ☏ +44 1746 764616.
Map of places with Wikivoyage articles nearby
- Ironbridge – The world's first cast-iron bridge and a lot of museums to see.
- Much Wenlock
|Routes through Bridgnorth|
|Telford ← Ironbridge ←||N S||→ Quatford → Kidderminster|
|merges with ←||W E||→ Worfield → Wolverhampton|
|Shrewsbury ← Much Wenlock ←||W E||→ Stourbridge → Birmingham|