Brownsville is a city in Cameron County, Texas, United States. Brownsville is the 15th largest city in the state of Texas and the 129th largest in the U.S. The population was 139,722 at the 2000 census. Brownsville is the southernmost city in Texas.
Brownsville is the principal city of the Brownsville-Harlingen metropolitan area, which is part of the larger Brownsville-Harlingen-Raymondville combined statistical area.
- Continental Express provides non-stop passenger service to/from Houston Intercontinental Airport.
- American Eagle flies non-stop between Dallas and Brownsville.
- US Highway 77/83 - a co-signed road that goes to Harlingen, where it splits into US 77 toward Houston and US 83 toward Laredo.
- US Highway 281 - to Hidalgo County and then San Antonio.
- Mexico's Federal Highway 180 is easily accessible across the Veterans International Bridge into Matamoros, Tamps., and leads to Tampico and eventually to Cancun.
Brownsville Urban System [dead link] operates Monday through Saturday, 5:50AM–8:26PM (except on major holidays).
- International Bridge.
- [dead link]Sabal Palm Audubon Center.
- Old Federal Courthouse.
- Gorgas Science Foundation.
- Galleria 409.
- Glady's Porter Zoo, 500 E Ringgold St.
- Brownsville Historical Association, 1325 E Washington St.
- Brownsville Museum of Fine Arts, 660 E Ringgold St, ☎ .
- Children's Museum of Brownsville, 501 E Ringgold St #5.
- Commemorative Air Force Museum, 955 S Minnesota Ave.
- Historic Brownsville Museum, 641 E Madison St.
- Palo Alto Battlefield National Historic Park, 7200 Paredes line Rd.
- Boca Chica Beach.
- Charro Days Fiesta. This usually occurs the last week of February.
- CineSol Film Festival.
- Sombrero Festival. Created to enhance the spirit of Charro Days, this festival usually occurs the last week of February.
- Brownsville Latin Jazz Festival.
- Fourth of July Parade.
- Winter Break Parade.
- Fort Brown Memorial Gulf Course.
- Brownsville Gold Course.
- University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV). Formed in 2015 when the city's former university, the University of Texas at Brownsville, was merged with the University of Texas–Pan American, whose main campus was in nearby Edinburg.
- South Texas Vocational Technical Institute
- Barnes & Noble University Bookstore.
- Rouge Comics.
- Sunrise Mall.
Typically 15 percent is an acceptable tipping amount.
- Galleria Restaurant, 3777 North Expressway, ☎ .
- Mister Taco.
Bars, Pubs and Billiard Parlors
- Shenanigan's Irish Pub & Grill.
- Stickman's Bar & Grill.
- Buffalo Wild Wings.
- Rack Daddy's.
- Billiard Room.
- Phillies Americana.
- The Bar (next to the old Hooters). The Best Bar in town.
- U-Mix Coffee & Juice Bar.
- 802 Café.
- Latus Café.
- Kactus Café.
- New Courthouse Coffee Shop.
- Fina's Coffee Shop.
- International Coffee Shop.
- Rio Java Gourmet Coffee & Tea.
- Tunnel Café.
Gay & Lesbian
- Motel 6, 2255 North Expressway, ☎ , fax: .
- Palace Inn Motel East, 7364 South Padre Island Hwy, ☎ .
- Best Western Rose Garden Inn, 845 N Expressway 77/83, ☎ , fax: .
- Courtyard Brownsville, 3955 North Expressway 77/83, ☎ , fax: .
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 1985 North Expressway 83, ☎ .
- Residence Inn Brownsville, 3975 N Expressway 83, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: .
- Staybridge Suites, 2900 Pablo Kisel Blvd, ☎ .
In case of an emergency dial 911.
- Mexico, 724 E Elizabeth & 7th Sts, ☎ , fax: .
- Laguna Atascosa Wildlife Refuge
- Santa Ana Wildlife Refuge
- Port Isabel
- South Padre Island
- South Padre Island's NUDE Beach
- Matamoros, Mexico
|Routes through Brownsville|
|Corpus Christi/Laredo ← Harlingen ←||N S||→ → becomes → Matamoros|
|San Antonio ← McAllen ←||W E||→ END|
|END ←||W E||→ becomes → South Padre Island|