Brugg is a small town of about 11,000 people in the canton of Aargau located at the confluence of the Reuss, Aare, and Limmat Rivers, with the Aare flowing through the city's old town. Brugg is the Swiss German word for bridge (Brücke in High German). This is an allusion to the purpose of the city's establishment under the Habsburgs, as the city is located at the narrowest point on the Aare in the Swiss midlands.
- Three hourly IR trains from Zürich (25 min) via Baden (10 min), one of which comes from the airport (44 min).
- Two hourly IR trains from Basel (45 min) via Rheinfelden (30 min).
- One hourly IR train from Berne (55 min) via Olten (25 min) and Aarau (12 min).
- S12: two hourly trains from Winterthur (1 h 10 min) via Baden and Zürich.
- S23: one hourly train from Langental (1h) via Olten and Aarau, and from Baden.
- S25: one hourly train from Muri (25 min)
- S29: one hourly train from Aarau.
All the sights of the town may be reached on foot from the train station within 30-40 minutes. To explore further afield you might like to take a bus from the main station. Pay with coins in the machine on board, or at certain bus stops.
Note with all trains and buses the "halbtax" option ('1/2' button on the machines) is for people who have purchased an annual half fare pass.
- 1 Vindonissa Museum, Museumstrasse 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-F, Su 13:00-17:00. Exhibits of the excavation of the Roman legion camp in nearby Windisch. Fr. 10/4.
- Swim in the river. The current in the Aare river is quite strong, and the gorge on which the town lies quite rocky, so swimming is safer downriver from the old town. There is a tall platform from which you may jump situated near a pedestrian bridge from which you may also jump. Be aware that the river will carry you very quickly should you venture toward the middle.
The main shopping area is the Neumarkt, which is the plaza that extends from the train station toward the old town. It is filled mainly with typical commercial chains, as well as some restaurants. The old town has more specialist shops.
- 1 Trattoria Casino, Zurzacherstrasse 9, ☏ . Mon-Fr. 11:30-14:00; daily 18:00-23:00.
- 2 Restaurant Essenz, Fröhlichstrasse 35, ☏ .
- 1 Brugg Youth Hostel (Schlössli Altenburg), Im Hof 11, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. This hostel is located in a small castle located right at the Aare river. From Fr. 31 for dorm.