Cape Canaveral is part of a region known as the "Space Coast", since all of the manned United States spacecraft are launched from the Space Coast. The city sits at the northern end of a barrier island on the Atlantic coast of Florida, south of the geographical cape. Falcon 9 (pictured above), the first rocket to land its first stage, takes off from the Kennedy Space Center. The visitors' complex of the space center is found across a waterway, to the west.
The northern part of the city, known as Port Canaveral, is one of the U.S.' main ports for cruise ships.
- Melbourne International Airport (MLB IATA), just 27 miles south, is the closest airport to Cape Canaveral. It is served by Delta Air Lines with six daily arrivals from Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport, and American Airlines with 3 daily arrivals (2 on Saturdays) from Charlotte, N.C.
- Orlando International Airport (MCO IATA), from which Florida State Route 528 goes straight to Cape Canaveral, is the largest airport serving the area. The drive takes a little less than 1 hour, but SR 528 requires tolls. The road toll costs $2 from the airport, and even more from Orlando's other tourist areas.
- Daytona Beach International Airport (DAB IATA) is about an hour and 15 minutes north by way of Interstate 95.
The nearest Amtrak station is in Orlando, 50 miles west.
Cape Canaveral is at the eastern end of Florida State Route 528 from Orlando. Interstate 95, a primary north-south route on the Atlantic Coast, intersects FL-528 near Cape Canaveral.
- Space Coast Area Transit is the local Brevard County bus service. It is a cheap way to get around and is wheelchair accessible. The website provides maps and timetables. Buses travel to most sites and places of interest. $1.50 per ride, or $42 for a monthly pass.
The city, as a barrier island, is fairly compact and can be crossed in a few minutes by car. The main road in the area is the main causeway, which turns south to follow the barrier island toward Cocoa Beach. Ridgewood Avenue follows the majority of the beach.
- 1 Air Force Space and Missile History Center (Just outside the south gate of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station), ☏ , email@example.com. Tu-F 9AM-2PM, Sa 9AM-5PM, Su noon-4PM. The History Center is an extension of the Air Force Space and Missile Museum. It is outside of the gates of the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and does not require entry onto the station. Free.
- 2 Air Force Space and Missile Museum (tours leave from the AF Space and Missile History Center just outside the south gate of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 8AM-4PM, W Th 9AM (launch and operations schedule permitting). The three-hour tour includes stops at the Air Force Space and Missile Museum, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse and several historic launch complexes. Reservations are required and seating is limited. Adults must be able to present one form of official ID, such as a driver's license, military ID and/or passport, when checking in at the History Center. Bus and most facilities are not wheelchair accessible. These sites can be seen daily via a fee-based special KSC bus tour of Cape Canaveral. Free.
- 3 . Built in 1859 and open to the public through the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation.
- 4 Jetty Park Beach and Pier, 9035 Campground Cir, ☏ , email@example.com. 7AM–9PM. No pets. You can buy parking passes via the website.
- 5 Manatee Sanctuary Park, 701 Thurm Blvd, ☏ . 7AM–sunset. Park on the west side of town with a pavilion, inlet of the Intracoastal Waterway, and potential manatee viewing.
Evening and extended cruises are offered from Port Canaveral. These are especially popular for their casino facilities which are not available on land.
- 1 Victory Casino, 180 Christopher Columbus Dr, ☏ . Relax and gamble for a night on the water. Ages 18+.
- Zero Gravity Corporation, ☏ , toll-free: . Parabolic flights on a modified 727, offering brief periods of weightlessness. $3675.
- 2 A1A Beach Rentals, 6811 N Atlantic Ave, ☏ . Surfboard rental, paddleboard rental, kayak rental, bike rental, beach gear rental. Rentals are by the day, 2-day, and weekly, and the company delivers everything to you. Activities include kayak fishing, kayak manatee and wildlife viewing, surfing lessons, stand-up paddle boarding lessons, cruise shore excursions, surf fishing, flats fishing.
- 3 Anglers Envy Fishing Charters, 726 Scallop Drive #1001, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Deep sea fishing charter experience.
- 4 Cocoa Beach Sportfishing Charters, 505 Glen Cheek Dr, ☏ . Deep sea fishing charters leaving from Cocoa Beach and Port Canaveral. Catch Dolphin, Wahoo, Sailfish, Grouper, and many others. Children welcome.
- 5 Fin Freak Offshore Charters (Obsession Fishing Charters), 505 Glen Cheek Dr, Cape Canaveral, ☏ . Cape Canaveral fishing charters.
- 6 Sea Leveler Sport Fishing Charters (Sea Leveler), 505 Glen Cheek Dr, ☏ , email@example.com. 7AM–10PM. Deep sea fishing charters. Full, half day and specialty fishing charters to catch mahi, king mackerel, sailfish, tuna, barracuda, wahoo, grouper, snapper, and cobia to name a few. Evening shark fishing charters.
- 1 Sunrise Fish Dive Surf, 505 Glen Cheek Dr, ☏ . Marina, plus tackle and gift shop.
- 2 Wild Ocean Market, 710 Bluewater Dr, ☏ . One of two locations, the other being in Titusville, though the market also operates in Winter Park.
- 1 Fishlips, 610 Glen Cheek Drive (At Port Canaveral), ☏ . Unique food and drinks, live entertainment, great nightlife.
- 2 Grill's Seafood Deck & Tiki Bar, 505 Glen Cheek Drive, ☏ . Fresh seafood and great atmosphere.
- 3 Rusty's Seafood, 628 Glen Cheek Drive, ☏ . Great surf and turf, in a relaxing setting on the water, with live entertainment, and seating both inside and outside over the water.
- 4 Seafood Atlantic, 520 Glen Cheek Dr, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. W–Su 11AM–7PM. Restaurant and seafood market near the barge canal.
- 1 Kennedy's Lamp Post Tavern, 7822 N Atlantic Ave (just off FL-A1A), ☏ . American-style bar near the main highway.
- 2 Rising Tide Tap and Table, 523 Glen Cheek Dr, ☏ . A selection of drinks in addition to an emphasis on small plates and pairings.
- 1 Cape Winds Resort, 7400 Ridgewood Avenue (A1A to city hall turn toward beach), ☏ . 1- and 2-bedroom fully equipped beachfront condos with pool, tennis court and covered parking.
- 2 Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, 9009 Astronaut Blvd, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. Closest hotel to Port Canaveral, with packages that include shuttle service to Port Canaveral. Complimentary hot breakfast.
- 3 , 1000 Shorewood Dr, ☏ , toll-free: , OLCapeCanaveral@holidayinnclub.com. Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 10AM.
- 4 Residence Inn, 8959 Astronaut Blvd, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: .
- Disney World is 1½ hours by car due west in Lake Buena Vista.
- Kennedy Space Center is the primary space center in the United States, home to the launch of several notable rockets, including Apollo 11 (the first one that went to the moon). The precinct contains several exhibitions, and there are regular tours.
- Space - The launch facility is a gateway to low Earth orbit and beyond, although extremely expensive.
|Routes through Cape Canaveral|
|Daytona Beach ← Titusville ←||N S||→ Cocoa Beach → West Palm Beach|