While most of Melbourne is on the mainland, a small portion is located on a barrier island. The Indian River Lagoon separates the mainland from the island. The island is a narrow strip of land that separates the Lagoon from the Atlantic Ocean.
Spanning the Indian River Lagoon to connect the mainland to the barrier island are a pair of four-lane, high-rise bridges -- the Melbourne Causeway and the Eau Gallie Causeway.
- 1 Orlando-Melbourne International Airport (MLB IATA), 1 Air Terminal Pkwy (terminal is at SE corner towards W Nasa Blvd & Dr MLK Jr Blvd), ☏ . Serves Florida's Space and Treasure Coasts with domestic passenger and air freight service. Utilizing convenient, state-of-the-art facilities, the Melbourne International Airport is served by: pbri}}Allegiant Air (Charlotte/Concord NC (USA), Nashville (BNA), Pittsburgh (PIT))}PSA Airlines dba American Eagle (Charlotte (CLT), Washington (DCA))Delta Airlines (Atlanta (ATL))Elite Airways (Newark (EWR), Portland ME (PWM), White Plains NY (HPN))TUI UK cities of Birmingham (UK), Bristol, Doncaster/Sheffield, Edinburgh (begins June 15, 2022), Glasgow, London–Gatwick, Manchester (UK), Newcastle upon TyneThe airport also provides services including charter passenger flights, private aviation, and air freight flights.
Other nearby airports include:
- Orlando International Airport (MCO IATA) 64 mi (103 km) NW of Melbourne.
- Orlando-Sanford International Airport (SFB IATA) 84 mi (135 km) miles NW of Melbourne.
- Daytona Beach International Airport (DAB IATA) 90 mi (140 km) miles N of Melbourne.
- Interstate 95 (I-95) Melbourne is accessed from exits #176 ("Palm Bay Rd/Palm Bay") through #188 ("FL Hwy 404 Patrick AFB Satellite Beach") along I-95. There are five exits from I-95 into town. Downtown can be accessed from Exit #180 ("US Hwy 192 Melbourne West Melbourne") from both directions of I-95.
- Dixie Highway and Harbor City Blvd passes through town as NE Dixie Hwy, N Harbor City Blvd and S Harbor City Blvd.
- New Haven Ave and 5th Ave Connects Melbourne to Walt Disney World 69 mi (111 km) through St Cloud, Kissimmee and Celebration. Going east of its junction with I-95 (Exit #180), US Hwy 192 enters into town as West New Haven Ave and ends in Indialantic (as 5th Ave) at SR A1A.
- Highway A1A/SR A1A Coastal highway connects Cape Canaveral in the north, through Melbourne Beach to Stuart Beach in Fort Pierce in the south. In town, it passes through Satellite Beach, Indian Harbor, Indiaatlantic and Melbourne Beach.
See By car under Get around in below for a more local description of the above.
- 2 Greyhound, (bus stop) West New Haven Mobile Mart/Gas Station at 4520 W New Haven Ave (Off of Exit #180 of I-95.), ☏ , toll-free: . Travels primarily on Interstate 95 (Miami, Ft Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Ft Pierce, Titusville, Daytona Beach, Jacksonville). Another variation of this route connects West Palm Beach to Orlando through Ft Pierce, Titusville, Melbourne and points in between along I-95/FL Hwy 50. Passengers transfer in Jacksonville, West Palm Beach, Miami or Orlando to reach other cities. Check Schedules.
- 3 Palm Lines, (bus stop) RealTrac Gas Station at 4535 W New Haven Ave (off of Exit #180 of I-95). Connects Miami to Chicago through West Palm Beach, Vero Beach, Melbourne, Daytona Beach, St Augustine, Jacksonville, Tifton, Atlanta, etc etc.
- Cocoa Beach Shuttle, Port Canaveral Cruise Terminal, ☏ . By appointment for pick up/drop off at your door. Specializes in Port Canaveral, Cocoa Beach Areas. Also serves entire Brevard County, Disney, Universal and I-Drive areas from Port Canaveral Cruise Terminal, Orlando International Airport (MCO) and Melbourne Orlando Airport (MLB).
- Melbourne Airport Express, (office) 1 Air Terminal Pkwy, ☏ , toll-free: . (airport ticket counter) Daily 5AM-11PM; Call to arrange pick up at your door. Door to door connection to Melbourne-Orlando International Airport (MLB); Orlando International Airport (MCO) in Orlando and the Port Canaveral Cruise Line Terminal.
- Space Coast Area Transit operates intercity routes within Brevard County from Titusville with the following:
- 1 Connects Titusville Government Center to Viera Government Center through Cocoa & Rockledge along US Hwy 1 and S Fisk Blvd (SR-519).
- 29 Connects Melbourne Airport to Viera Government Center where passengers transfer to #1 bus to reach Titusville (via Cocoa and Rockledge). Likewise passengers can also transfer to the #7 bus at Walmart in Viera to get to Cocoa but it goes on a longer route than the #1 bus. The first/last stop is in the Taxi/Bus Lane, on the other side of the island, from the departures entrances. Passengers can transfer directly to #21 (to downtown) and 30 (to South Beach, Indialantic and Eau Gallie) from the same airport stop. Check schedules and maps for a list of stops and transfer points.
- Space Coast Area Transit is the name of the local Brevard County bus service. It is a cheap way to get around and is handicap accessible. The website provides maps and timetables. Buses travel to most sites and places of interest. $1.25 per ride, or $35 for a monthly pass.
The best way to get around Melbourne is by car. Major Roads include:
- . Harbor City Boulevard is the local street name, and it runs parallel to the Indian River on the eastern side of the city. This road allows easy access to the beaches over 3 causeways: the Pineda Causeway (Florida State Road 404), Eau Gallie Causeway, and Melbourne Causeway.
- . Locally named New Haven Avenue or Strawbridge Avenue (historic downtown), US 192 is one of the major commercial, entertainment, and retail areas of Melbourne. Many businesses, large and small, are located on this busy avenue. It serves as a route to Kissimmee and the tourist corridor of Orlando to the west, and the town of Indialantic to the east via the Melbourne Causeway.
- . This 6-lane interstate highway passes through the city limits, with 4 exit ramps in the Melbourne Vicinity. It serves as the main north-south route in the metropolitan area.
- This road runs along the beaches and provides easy access to other areas of Brevard County.
- (Wickham\Minton). Wickham serves as a second north to south route in the Melbourne area.
- 1 The Botanical Gardens at FIT. A 15-acre botanical garden on the campus of FIT which is free and open to the public.
- 2 Henegar Center for the Arts, 625 East New Haven Ave, ☏ .
- 3 Honor America's Liberty Bell Museum, 1601 Oak St (Oaks & E Hibicus Blvd next to Melbourne Military Memorial Park), ☏ . M-F 10AM-4PM. Honor America, Inc. is a patriotic non-profit, non-partisan and non-sectarian organization who operates the Liberty Bell Memorial Museum and the Melbourne Military Memorial Park and hosts patriotic events throughout the year.
- 4 Maxwell C King Center for Performing Arts, 3865 N. Wickham Road (SE of the intersection of N Wickham Rd & E Post on the campus of Eastern Florida State College), ☏ .
- Melbourne Arts Festival, ☏ . April.
- 5 Melbourne Community Orchestra, 1924 Melody Ln, ☏ .
- 6 Melbourne Civic Theatre, 817 Strawbridge Ave (along Strawbridge Ave (US Hwy 192) between Municiapl Ln & Waverly Pl), ☏ . Local stage since 1951 putting on a variety of classic & new plays in an intimate setting.
- 1 Andretti's Thrill Park, 3960 S. Babcock St, ☏ , info@AndrettiThrillPark.com. Go-karts, mini-golf.
- 2 Brevard Symphony Orchestra, (office) 1500 Highland Ave (offices are in the historic Winchester Symphony House in the Eau Gallie Arts District), ☏ . Founded in 1954, the orchestra-in-residence at the King Center for the performing arts. Brevard's only professional orchestra. Inquire online or at the office for performance locations.
- 3 Brevard Zoo, 8225 N Wickham Rd (between Rockledge and Melbourne), ☏ . Animals and exhibits of different habitats, along with a treetop trek.
- 4 Galaxy Skateway, 1488 Aurora Road, ☏ . Roller skating rink.
- 1 Kite World, 424 N Harbor City Blvd, ☏ . Kite flying and store.
- 2 Melbourne Square Mall, 1700 W New Haven Ave (W New Haven Ave & Evans southwest of airport grounds), ☏ . Su noon-6PM; M-Th 11AM-7PM; F Sa 10AM-8PM. Melbourne Square Mall hosts Dillard's, Macy's, JCPenney, Dick's Sporting Goods and numerous other hotels, shops & restaurants in the mall and in the immediate surrounding area not part of the mall (Best Buy, Burlington Coat Factory, Pet Smart, Ross Dress for Less, Extended Stay America, Marriott Courtyard, among others). There are other smaller strip malls & free-standing establishments across the street along W New Haven Ave.
- 1 Squid Lips, 1477 Pineapple Avenue (on the Indian River), ☏ . Su-Th 11AM-9PM; F Sa 11AM-10PM. "Where the locals eat & drink." $5-15 per person.
- 2 Siam Orchid Thai & Japanese, 75 E Nasa Blvd, ☏ . M-F 11AM-2:30PM, 4-9:30PM; F 11AM-2:30PM, 4-10PM; Sa 4-10PM $8-23 (2021) per main.
- 3 Makotos Japanese Restaurant, 785 South Babcock St (NASA Plaza Mall at S Babcock & Nasa Blvd), ☏ . M-Sa 11AM-9PM, Su noon-8PM.
- 4 Cedar's Cafe, 4100 N Wickham Rd, ☏ . Tu–Sa 11AM–6PM. Lebanese cuisine. Tabouli.
- 5 The Wagon Wheel Pizza, 3082 Lake Washington Rd, ☏ . Tu-Th 11AM-9PM, F Sa 11AM-10PM, Su noon-9PM. In business for over 40 years, known for pizza and stromboli.
- 6 Friendly Toast Cafe II, 380 N Wickham Rd, ☏ . 6AM–2:30PM. Diner-style restaurant. Brilliant breakfasts. A favorite of locals. Great food at great prices. You can eat inside (usually crowded) or at a few tables outside.
- 1 Meg O'Malley's Irish Pub & Restaurant, 812 E New Haven Ave, ☏ . In downtown. Also offers catering and takeaway and a live music calendar.
- 2 Hemingway's Tavern, 1800 W Hibiscus Blvd #115, ☏ . Also offering a cafecito for takeaway food.
- 3 Twisted Rooster, 1220 W New Haven Ave #150, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 21+ only.
The airport locations are located southeast of the airport terminal, southeast of the intersection of NASA Blvd & MLK along MLK Blvd:
- 1 Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place, 200 Rialto Pl (near the Melbourne International Airport), ☏ .
- 2 Suburban Extended Stay, 1125 Airport Blvd., ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. This hotel offers free wireless high-speed Internet access in all rooms and an on-site fitness room.
Jct I-95 and US Hwy 192 (W New Haven Ave)
There are several chain hotels & motels on W New Haven Ave (US Hwy 192) east of its intersection with I-95 (Exit #180). Ideal for travelers passing through along I-95 by car or by Greyhound bus and need a break from a long drive or bus ride:
- 3 America's Best Value Inn & Suites by Red Lion, 4431 W New Haven Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 4 Budget Inn, 4505 W New Haven Ave, ☏ .
- 5 Days Inn by Wyndham, 4500 W New Haven Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon.
- 6 Hampton's Inn, 194 Coastal Ln, ☏ .
- 7 Holiday Inn Express, 2255 Coastal Ln, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 8 La Quinta Inn & Suites, 4510 W New Haven Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 9 Melbourne All Suites Inn, 4455 W New Haven Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 10 Woodspring Suites, 4650 W New Haven Ave, ☏ .
Bed & Breakfast
- 11 Crane Creek Inn Waterfront Bed & Breakfast, 907 E Melbourne, ☏ . Located in Historic Downtown Melbourne.
- Kennedy Space Center is about an hour's drive north, in Cape Canaveral.
- Disney World is 1-1½ hours by car due west in Lake Buena Vista.
- The beaches at Melbourne Beach and Indialantic
|Routes through Melbourne|
|Daytona Beach ← Rockledge ←||N S||→ Palm Bay → Fort Pierce|
|Daytona Beach ← Rockledge ←||N S||→ Palm Bay → Vero Beach|
|Orlando ← Kissimmee ←||W E||→ Jct → End|
|Cape Canaveral ← Satellite Beach ←||N S||→ Indialantic → Vero Beach|