Castellammare del Golfo rises at the foot of Mount Inici and gives the name to the homonymous gulf, stretching from capo Rama (on the east) as far as capo San Vito (on the west). Castellammare began as Emporium Segestanorum (the port of the near Segesta). The word empòrion in the ancient Mediterranean denoted a harbour used for the unloading, storing and selling of goods, and until the Arabs’ arrival its history identifies with that of Segesta. The naming “castrum ad mare de gulfo” dates back to the early years of the second millennium, when Castellammare became an important fortress, first of the Normans and later of the Swabians.
When to go
As Castellammare is a sea and tourist resort, the ideal season for having a holiday there is summer. However, thanks to its mild climate, in March you can already profit a vacation under the hot sun of Sicily. Until October you will certainly enjoy beautiful and warm days.
- Ufficio Turistico, Piazza Castello, ☏ , , toll-free: 800011539, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 09:00-13:00, M also 16:00-18:00.
- Associazione Turistica Pro Loco, corso Bernardo Mattarella, 31, ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com.
- A29 Motorway Palermo-Mazara del Vallo:exit Castellammare del Golfo
- National Road (S.S.) 187 km. 42.00
- (Napoli, Civitavecchia, Livorno, Genova, Tunisi), ☏ . 08:00-21:00.
- Linea Tirrenia (Cagliari-Trapani), ☏ .
- Linea Grimaldi (Tunisi-Trapani), ☏ .
- Linea Ustica Lines (Livorno-Trapani), ☏ .
- Siremar (Isole Egadi e Pantelleria), ☏ .
- Traghetti delle Isole, via Ammiraglio Staiti, 23, ☏ .
- Ustica Lines (Aliscafo per Isole Egadi, Pantelleria, Ustica e Napoli), ☏ .
- Stazione marittima, Palermo, ☏ .
Regular bus from Palermo, 5 per day excluding Sunday which is not so frequent and Trapani, 2 per day. Russo also has buses leaving for Scopello 5 times a day.
- AST (Azienda Siciliana Trasporti), via Virgilio, 20 Trapani, ☏ , fax: .
- Autoservizi Lumia (Agrigento-Trapani), ☏ , fax: .
- Autoservizi Salemi (Roma-Trapani), Via Salemi,97 Marsala, ☏ .
- Autoservizi Russo S.r.l., Corso Garibaldi, 210 - Castellammare del Golfo, ☏ , fax: . Palermo-Castellammare-Scopello.
- Segesta autolinee, Via Libertà, 171 - Palermo, ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Palermo-Trapani.
- Segesta autolinee (Palermo-Trapani), Via Libertà, 171 Palermo, ☏ , , .
- Tarantola bus, Via Marina Petrolo, 16 Castellammare del Golfo, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Airport Palermo Punta Raisi “Falcone e Borsellino” about 50 km far from it. Phone +39 091 591414,+39 091 591400
- Aereoporto Trapani Birgi “Vincenzo Florio” about 60 km far from it. Phone +39 0923 841130, +39 0923 842502
You can reach Castellammare through the National Road (S.S.) 187 both from Palermo and Trapani. If you come from Palermo (going through Alcamo Marina and the railway station of Castellammare) you soon enter the town and meet Largo Petrolo with its wonderful view on the Gulf. From here you can go to the centre (on the left) or to the port and the Castle (turning right). If you decide to go to the town centre, it is very easy by going on foot: the Civic Gardens, the Town Hall, the Theatre and Arena delle Rose are at about 500 m. If you come from Trapani, through the same road, after the junctions for San Vito and Scopello you can enter the town trough via Crispi or via Segesta. The main lines of march are three: corso Garibaldi, (which you can enter from via Crispi or via Segesta) will lead you to the town centre. Via Marconi will lead you outside the town, towards the beaches of Playa and Alcamo Marina, and finally via Petrazzi and via Roma, which starting from the port or the gardens (through via Roma), will lead you to the National Road 187 for all destinations and the A29 Motorway.
- 1 Bugia Bianca Transfer Service, Contrada Bocca della Carruba, 51, ☏ , (transfer), , (taxi), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. They carry out a fast and comfortable transfer service and shuttle service for Palermo and Trapani airports from Castellammare, Scopello, San Vito lo Capo and other places, with qualified drivers. They also rent cars, motor scooters and vans. You can also make guided excursions by boat or rubber boat, or by minibus towards the near main resorts.
- 2 Non solo transfer, Via Duchessa, 33, ☏ , , , ✉ email@example.com. Transfer taxi, mini tours, shuttle service for Palermo airport, Trapani and Palermo's ports. Group and individual excursions. Car rental with the driver.
- Savasta Natale, Contrada Bocca della Carrubba, 157/c, ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Amigo car e bike sharing, Via Giuseppe Verdi and piazza della Repubblica, ☏ , , , ✉ email@example.com. Car-sharing with one-way or standard bookings. With access to ZTL areas and no limits to antipollution measure, free parking in blue areas, authorized to transit in the lanes reserved to public transport.
- Asaro Enrico, via Flavio Gioia, 2, ☏ , . Cars and scooters rentals.
- [dead link] Autonoleggio del Golfo, Via San Paolo Della Croce, 33, ☏ , , , fax: .
- Auto Vesco, via L. da Vinci, 92, ☏ , , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- [dead link] Blu Nautica By GP Service sas, contrada Cerri, ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com.
- Campanella s.r.l., via Martoglio, 1 (Contrada Tavolatella sn), ☏ , , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sicilyrentacar, corso Garibaldi, 125, ☏ , , , ✉ email@example.com.
- Scopeltour, via Marconi, 126, ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 [dead link] Trinacria Service, corso Garibaldi, 8, ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. Tourist services agency.
- 1 Museo del mare (the Sea Museum), via P. Mascagni, ☏ , . Located in a poor house of fishermen, there are images, fishing utensils used by fishermen and in the tonnara present in the gulf.
- 2 Museo Chiesa Madre (the Mother Church's Museum), ☏ , . Visits on appointment.
- 3 Museum Centre, polo museale (The Mediterranean's memory), inside the Arab-Norman Castle, ☏ . You will find an important museum centre divided into the following sections: archaeology (with Roman anchors and amphoras); seafaring activities (tools for sailing and for tuna fishing). In the eastern wing of the castle you can visit the Ethnic-Antropological Museum “Annalisa Buccellato” which exibits not only the old furnishings used inside houses, but also the techniques and the tools used in the wheat and milk production.
- Grotta di Santa Margherita (the cave of Saint Margherita). On an overhanging face at 15 metres above sea level. There are several pictures dating back to the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries: a Madonna with Child, a female saint surrounded by angels and, on the opposite side, a Crucifixion with other figures.
- Grotta della Ficarella (the cave of Ficarella). It is an underwater cave in the Reserve lo Zingaro. The entrance is at the depth of 14 metres.
- Grotta dell'Eremita o grotta del cavallo (the cave of the Hermit or cave of the horse). Located on Mount Inici, it stretches for about 5 km and has a difference in level of 310 m.
- Abisso dei Cocci (the abyss of potteries). It stretches for 2,000 m and a difference in level of 420 m.
- 4 Castello a mare, In the harbour. Probably built by Arabs in the 10th century, it was enlarged by the Normans and later fortified by the Swabians by adding defensive walls and towers. In 1316, during the war between Anjous and Aragoneses it was destroyed by Frederick III of Sicily and later rebuilt. Today it is a public property; inside there is a large museum.
- Torri saracene (Saracen towers). In the territory of Castellammare del Golfo (at Scopello) there are some ancient Saracen watch-towers, in the bay of Guidaloca, Torre Bennistra, Torre della tonnara of Scopello and Torre of Scopello.
- 1 Accademia di Danza (Elliot Ballet Accademy), via Segesta, 172, ☏ .
- 2 Arena delle Rose, Corso Bernardo Mattarella, ☏ . Outdoor cinema and theatre.
- 3 Civic Multimedial Library (Biblioteca Barbara Rizzo, Giuseppe e Salvatore Asta), Piazza Matteotti, ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 09:00-13:00, M Tu W 15:00-19:00.
- 4 C.A.I. (Club Alpino d'Italia), Viale Umberto I, ☏ , , , ✉ email@example.com. Th Sa 18:00-20:00.
- Centro Nautico Eolo, contrada Cerri, ☏ .
- 5 Centro Sub Atlantis, contrada Cerri, 4 (opposite the Hotel Cala Marina), ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Circolo del tennis, contrada Bocca della Carrubba, 48, ☏ .
- Club Nautico s.r.l., contrada Cerri, ☏ , . Boat mooring.
- 6 La Fenice, via San Leonardo, Alcamo. Ice-skating, amusement park, swimming-pool.
- 7 [dead link] Nautic Club Poseidon, via Roma,86, summer seat at Pontile Eolo, ☏ , , .
- 8 , via Medici, 27, ☏ . 08:00-21:00.
- 9 Pontoonride, viale dei Pini, 4,, ☏ .
- 10 Teatro Apollo-A.Rocco Guadagno, Corso Bernardo Mattarella,15 (opposite Villa Margherita), ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. Cinema and theatre.
- 11 [formerly dead link] Terme Gorga, Contrada Gorga Calatafimi Segesta (near Alcamo Diramazione railway station). Swimming pool, aerosol therapy.Its sulphuric thermal waters are used to treat respiratory, rheumatic and skin diseases.
- 12 Terme Segestane, Contrada Ponte Bagni, Castellammare del Golfo, ☏ . swimming pool, mud baths, aerosol therapy.
- Lido Peter Pan, Spiaggia Plaia (at Castellammare's beach), ☏ .
- Lido Petrolo, Largo Petrolo, ☏ .
- Lido Pirata, Lungo Mare Spiaggia Plaia (at Castellammare's beach), ☏ , .
- Lido Sunrise, Spiaggia Plaia (at Castellammare's beach), ☏ .
- Lido Zanzibar, Spiaggia Plaia (at Castellammare's beach), ☏ .
Events and festivals
- 4 Feast of Saint Rita, Via Segesta. 20-22 May. A historical parade about the life of Saint Rita and the noble class of Castellammare. Shows, procession, fireworks.
- 5 Nostra Principalissima Patrona (The historical recalling of Madonna del Soccorso, Our Lady of the Aid), ☏ . On 13 and 14 July (every two years). The event being recalled happened on July 13, 1718, when Castellammare was in the middle of the war between Philip V of Spain and Amedeo of Savoia for the possession of Sicily. A Spanish ship, chased by 5 English ones, sheltered below the castle, which defended it. The English fleet attacked by setting fire to the town: the people, imploring the Patroness (the Virgin Mary), escaped. But suddenly the Madonna, in a white dress, is said to have appeared with a host of angels from Monte delle Scale. This apparition reportedly caused the English to flee in fear. The show represents these events with lights, sounds, pyrotechnic effects and starts at sunset. The recalling ends with a concert and fireworks.
- 6 Maria Santissima del Soccorso (the patronal feast), Chiesa Madre. 19-21 August. Among the main events for the feast of the patroness (besides the cultural ones) there are a "procession to the sea", an "earth procession" and fireworks.
- CICI Film Festival. 1-7 September.
- 1 Banca di Credito Cooperativo, corso Garibaldi, 126, ☏ .
- 2 Credito Siciliano Spa, via F. Crispi, 128, ☏ .
- 3 Intesa San Paolo Spa, corso B. Mattarella, 2, ☏ .
- 4 Unicredit, Corso Garibaldi, 145, ☏ .
- 5 Dolciaria Panificio Dolcezze del Golfo, Via San Paolo della Croce, 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Bread, biscuits, pizzas, salted cakes, sfincione.
- 6 That'Sicilia, Corso Garibaldi 119 (Opposite the Post Office), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. They sell a selection of good Sicilian food and wine and rare local handmade pieces such as: engraved corals, interwoven carpets, artistic ceramics, and jewels made with coral and lavic stone. The shop also proposes Daniela Neri’s creations — salt corals, jewels and ornaments realized with Trapani salt and coloured resins — and ceramics made by Toti Taormina, an artist of the school De Simone, who is able to create harmonious works with unique colours.
- 7 Nautica del Golfo, via Medici,4, ☏ .
- Nautica il Grillo s.r.l., via Giacomo Medici,53, ☏ . Fishing articles.
- [formerly dead link] Punto Sub, Via Leonardo da Vinci,98, ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Underwater fishing articles, camping tents.
- 1 Luxor Ristorante Pizzeria, Via don Luigi Zangara,85 (near the castle, in the harbour), ☏ . Mediterranean and european cuisine, pizza, fish, gluten-free food, soups.
- Sapori di Sicilia, Viale Umberto I, 33/A, ☏ . Typical Sicilian cuisine: arancinos, calzoni, pizza, sfincione, very good couscous and nice "cassatelle".
- 2 Salvinius (restaurant-pizzeria), Via Don L.Zangara, 69, ☏ . With a view on the sea (located in the harbour): the cuisine is very good. They serve pizzas and several specialties of fish: seafood busiate (fresh pasta), cous cous, risotto with langoustines, fried calamari and prawns. The meat menu is also good, with porcini mushrooms or the grilled vegetables. Outdoor tables and accessibility for disabled people. €26/32.
- 3 Antiche Scale, Via Don L. Sturzo (next to villa Margherita), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A very good cuisine, above all for fish. The restaurant is in the heart of the town centre. €38.
- 4 Belvedere, contrada Belvedere, ☏ . Restaurant, banquet hall.
- Cacio & Cavalli, Contrada Gagliardetta, ☏ . Cacio & Cavalli is a good place for the people wishing a holiday inside nature. The characteristic environment allows you to spend a day full of relax. You can taste different typical products.
- 5 [dead link] Egesta Mare, Via Fiume, 10, ☏ , , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Restaurant and boarding house. The food at the restaurant is very tasty.
- 6 La Cambusa, Via Don Luigi Zangara, 67, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. This restaurant is in the middle of the harbour. They serve a fish menu and have a fresh fish stand.
- 7 La Timpa, Via Arciprete Militelli, 26 (near the Castle), ☏ . Restaurant-pizzeria. Traditional cuisine, pizza cooked in a wood oven (Neapolitan style), fish.
- 8 Ristorante Al Burgo, Via Malta, 19, ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This restaurant is in the town centre, along a characteristic staircase and with an enchanting landscape. Among their offerings there are traditional dishes and fresh fish.
- 9 [dead link] Ristorante Silos, via V.Pisani, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Restaurant, pizzeria, wine bar.
- [dead link] Ristorante El Patio, Via don Luigi Zangara, 53, ☏ , , , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The restaurant is in an old warehouse which has been restored in a modern style. They serve dishes of the Mediterranean cuisine. There are outdoor tables.
Pubs and Clubs
- 1 Caffè Letterario, via Malta, 46, ☏ , . Restaurant and pub.
- 2 Cantina Aurelia, corso B. Mattarella, 7, ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. Risto-pub. €10/28.
- Carpe Diem, Largo Petrolo.
- Cucècè, Corso Garibaldi, 40 (in the town centre of Castellammare del Golfo), ☏ . Cafè, wine-bar, wine shop.
- 3 Exodus, Via Galileo Galilei, 12 (near the football stadium), ☏ .
- Fashion Pub Cafe (near the football stadium), ☏ .
- Il Contesto, piazza Petrolo,5, ☏ , .
- Il Malandrino, corso B. Mattarella, 32, ☏ .
- Marakay, contrada Bocca della Carrubba.
- Moma, via Marconi, 172, ☏ .
- [dead link] Picolit, Via Discesa Marina, 57, ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Alke house, wine bar, pub and live music. Picolit is also a sandwich bar and fried-food shop. Apart beers you can taste drinks, cocktails and chupitos. €7/15.
- Vintage, corso Garibaldi, 370, ☏ . Restaurant and pub.
- 4 Vogue bar, via Don L. Zangara, 61, ☏ . A fashionable location in the harbour, good for your breakfast, apertifs or dinner in the evening. Very good ice-creams. In the evening live music for you! €10/20.
- White Cafè, corso Garibaldi, 43, ☏ .
- 1 Casale del Golfo, Contrada Mulinello (2 km from the junction of A29 Motorway Palermo-Mazara del Vallo), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00-24:00, check-out: 12:00. It is a country resort in a 19th-century country house, restored and having all the modern comforts: private bath with shower, phon (on request), desk, guardrobe, Tv, conditioned air, free entrance to the swimming pool and solarium equipped, children's playground. Pets are admitted. Breakfast included, free Wi-fi in the hall and free car park. Eventual tours on horseback. €59.
- 2 Hotel Punta Nord-Est, Viale Leonardo Da Vinci, 67, ☏ , , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. In the middle of the wonderful Gulf of Castellammare, the hotel is near the beach and the entrance to Castellammare. You can use its large open-air swimming pool, with deckchairs and beach umbrellas. Services include: free Wi-fi, conditioned air, TV, safe-deposit box, bath-room (with hydromassage or shower), hair-drier, minibar, phone, cradle on request.There is also a meeting hall for 180 people with audio-visual aids. €54/69.
- 3 Locanda Scirocco, Corso Garibaldi, 117, ☏ , , fax: . It is in the centre of Castellammare del Golfo, at about 500 metres from the beach and the castle. The rooms are very cosy and with modern comforts and services: a private bathroom with a shower and hair-drier, conditioned air, telephone, free Wifi, tv and minibar. At breakfast you can choose typical products (salted or sweet). €50.
- 4 Cerri Hotel, Via Mascagni, 4, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The hotel is elegant with large rooms; the furnishings are pretty and modern. You can admire the castle and the harbour which are near it. There is a lounge, a bar and a spacious restaurant and a big mediterranean garden. €65/80.
- 5 Hotel Al Madarig, Piazza Petrolo, 7, ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The hotel is in the centre of Castellammare, near the Mother Church and the Castle; it is a typical construction with two floors in piazza Petrolo. The rooms are large and cosy; services include: bar and reading room, free Internet point and Wi Fi, meeting hall, breakfast room, touristic information and road maps. €59/74.
- 6 Hotel Cala Marina, Via Don L. Zangara, 1 (in the harbour), ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. The hotel is in the town centre, in the old harbour. The rooms have free Wi-fi, TV, conditioned air, telephone, bathroom with a shower, minibar. From its terrace or from the entrance-hall you can admire the Castle and the harbour. €60.
- 7 Hotel Cetarium, Via Don L. Zangara, 45, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. At the entrance of the harbour and near the Castle, this fine and comfortable hotel is located near an old tonnara. There are two modern restaurants (inside and outside) with a panoramic view. Services include:baby parking and guided tours. €75/95.
- 8 [dead link] Hotel La Piazzetta, Piazza Europa 8 (near Largo Petrolo), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. In an old restored building, this hotel has got a bar, private car-park, car, scooter and boat hiring, there is also a beach equipped with deckchairs and beach umbrellas at about 200 mdistance. On request guided tours to Segesta, Mozia, Scopello, Erice, San Vito and the Reserve lo Zingaro. Animals not allowed. €78.
- Le Palme B&B, Contrada Castellaccio, 4 (between Castellammare and the Reserve lo Zingaro), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. You can admire the landscape from the bay of Guidaloca, Tonnara of Scopello, lo Zingaro as far as San Vito. It is at about 7 km from the Reserve lo Zingaro, at 4 from Castellammare del Golfo, and 20 from Segesta;
- 9 Quattrocanti Case Vacanze sas, Corso Garibaldi, 76, ☏ , , , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 11:00-22:00, check-out: 10:00. The flats, with a view on the town in an old building, are large and bright. The furnishings are new and well-finished. Free Wifi, conditioned air, iron, private bath or shower, fridge, micro-wave oven and stove. The building is situated in the town centre, at the famous “4 canti” and has large outdoor terraces where you can relax and admire the magnificent landscape of the gulf of Castellammare. €60/100.
- Carabinieris' post, Via N.Buccellato, 3, ☏ , .
- Carabinieris' post, Via Laudani G., Balata di Baida, ☏ , .
- First Aid, Via Crispi, 116 Alcamo, ☏ , .
- Emergengy medical Service (Guardia medica), Via Duchessa, ☏ . night and day.
- Summer emergency medical Service (Guardia medica estiva), Scopello, ☏ .
- Summer emergency medical Service (Guardia medica estiva), via Pascoli, 32 Balata di Baida, ☏ .
- The Reserve Surveillance Team, via Segesta, 197, ☏ .
- Veterinarian doctor Berardi Biagio, via Verdi, 25, ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fire Brigade, via Francesco Parrino, Alcamo, ☏ .
- Traffic Police (Vigili Urbani), via Segesta, 221, ☏ .
- A.C.I. (Automobile Club d'Italia), toll-free: 803116 (non-geographic number).
- Sclafani Damiano, ☏ , , .
- 7 Post Office (Poste Italiane), Via Verdi, 42, ☏ , fax: . Central post office
- 8 Post Office (Poste Italiane), Via Francesco Crispi, 256, ☏ , fax: . agency
- Poste e Telecomunicazioni, Via Laudani, 40 - Balata di Baida, ☏ , fax: .
- Arinternet point, via Crispi, 69, ☏ .
- Bet Center, via Verdi, 28, ☏ .
- Centro Servizi Informatici, via Segesta, ☏ .
- Golfo Poker Internet Point, via Saragat, 6, ☏ .
- Internet Point, via Roma, ☏ .
- Internet Point, via Marconi, 51.
- Montecarlo 2, via Segesta, 109, ☏ , .
- Screen Saver, via Crispi, ☏ .