Cavendish and Rustico Harbour is a mostly rural area on the north shore of Prince Edward Island, Canada, and includes the villages of Cavendish, North Rustico, Rusticoville and South Rustico.
Prince Edward Island National Park follows the coastline and is split into non-contiguous fragments by bays and coastlines.
There are effectively two sections of the park which are accessible by road, with Rusticoville positioned as an approximate midpoint separating them:
- From North Rustico westward through Cavendish, the park includes sea shore along Gulf Shore Parkway West and the lands around the Green Gables homestead in Cavendish
- From Robinson's Island Road (the eastern Gulf Shore Parkway, near Brackley Beach), parkland continues eastward along the waterfront and Route 15 through Stanhope to Dalvay, including the Dalvay-by-the-Sea historic Victorian-era summer home (which operates as an inn in the park).
Cavendish is best known for its museum and heritage site for Lucy Maud Montgomery, author of the Anne of Green Gables books (which refer to the area as "Avonlea"). Green Gables Heritage Place and the adjacent golf course are within the park.
Rustico is not in the park, but it and the amalgamated 1990 "Municipality of Stanley Bridge, Hope River, Bayview, Cavendish and North Rustico" which follows Route 6 westward from Rustico provide a number of restaurants, accommodations and services which support visitors to the Prince Edward Island National Park. Many of these businesses are seasonal and highly tourist-oriented, closing for the winter when the park closes in late September.
PEI Route 15 runs north from Charlottetown and the Trans-Canada Highway to Route 6 at Brackley Point/Brackley Beach, continuing into the eastern segment of the park. From the Route 6/15 crossroads, Cavendish and Rustico are to the west.
The main east-west road, Route 6, runs south of the park (and not through it, with the exception of the one portion of Cavendish around the Green Gables homestead) but is the backbone joining the multiple fragments of parkland to each other. Route 6 connects all the villages.
- 1 Green Gables Heritage Place, Route 6, Cavendish. May 1-Oct 31: daily 9AM-5PM; Nov 1-30: open by special appointment only; Dec 1 2017-Apr 14 2018: closed for the season. Author Lucy Maud Montgomery visited the farm as a young girl and based the location of her best-selling "Anne" series of books on the Green Gables farm. The farmhouse exterior has not changed significantly over time, and its interior decor and artifacts depict the late Victorian Period in rural Prince Edward Island.
- 1 Green Gables Golf Course (Green Gables & Andersons Creek Golf Courses), 8727 Cavendish Road, Cavendish (in Prince Edward Island National Park), ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A scenic, ocean-side golf course, Green Gables measures 7000 yards from the back tees.
- Shining Waters Family Fun Park, 8885 Cavendish Rd., toll-free: . Mid-Jun to early Sep: daily 10AM-6PM or 7PM. Over 40 wet and dry activities. Non-seniors: under 36 in (910 mm) tall free, 36" to 42 in (1,100 mm) tall $16, 42" to 48 in (1,200 mm) $21, over 48" $24, family of 4 $83; seniors (65+) $16; combination passes available for Sandspit, Ripley's Believe it or Not!, Wax World of the Stars and Mariner's Cove Miniature Golf.
- Cavendish Tourist Mart, 8934 Cavendish Rd, ☏ . Grocery, souvenirs, T-shirts, liquor agency. Seasonal.
- North Shore Surf Company PEI, 8572 Cavendish Road, Cavendish (Corner of Route 6 & 13), ☏ . Clothing, souvenirs, surf boards and equipment.
- Avonlea Village, 8779 PE-6. Daily 10AM-5PM. Shops and restaurants in beautiful historic buildings and historically correct new buildings. Green Gables Gift Shop, Cows of PEI Ice Cream, Boom Burger. Shops other than the gift shop are open only in summer.
- Chez Yvonne's Restaurant, 8947 Route 6 Cavendish, ☏ . Jun Sep: 8AM-8:30PM; Jul Aug 7:30AM-9PM. Green lobster dinners, seafood, steaks. Breakfast $8-16, mains $15-32.
- Captain Scott's Fish & Chips, M-Th 11AM-6:30PM, F Sa 7AM-7:30PM, ☏ . Fish and chips, lobster rolls, burgers.
- Island Favourites, 8989 Cavendish Rd - Rte 6, ☏ . Tu-Su 11AM-5PM. Specializing in lobster rolls.
- The Ship's Company Pub & Galley, 8863 Cavendish Rd - Rte 6, ☏ . Daily 11AM-8PM. Open May-Sep.
- North Rustico Liquor Store, 7367 Cavendish Rd, North Rustico, ☏ . M-Th 10AM-6PM, F Sa 10AM-9PM.
- Montgomery Cavendish Cottages, 68 Sunset Lane, ☏ . In the Cavendish National Park (entry to the National Park is free when staying at the cottages). 5 deluxe, comfortable, fully equipped two-bedroom, two-bath cottages 100 metres from the Atlantic Ocean. Late Jun-late Aug: $225 + tax per night, $1575 + tax per week.
- Sundance Cottages, 34 MacCoubrey Lane, ☏ , toll-free: . Spacious, air-conditioned, one- to four-bedroom cottages. Complete kitchens, dishwasher, queen-size beds, some with whirlpool tubs and propane fireplaces, picnic tables, barbecues, decks with ocean view. Play area, heated pool, kiddie pool, hot tub, wireless internet, laundromat, mountain bikes. From $140.
- Resort at Cavendish Corner, 7600 Cawnpore Ln, Green Gables, ☏ , toll-free: . May-Oct. 38 one- to-three bedroom cottages, a 13 room historic Country Inn with luxury suites, and 10 modern motel rooms. 2 pools, exercise room, outdoor play areas, fire pits and free Wi-Fi. From $80.
- Lakeview Lodge & Cottages, 8715 Cavendish Road, Cavendish, ☏ , toll-free: . Free WiFi. Cavendish Beach is 3 miles from the accommodation. From $60.
- There are two campgrounds and an inn within Prince Edward Island National Park.
|Routes through Cavendish and Rustico Harbour|
|Summerside via ←||W E||→ Prince Edward Island National Park → Charlottetown via|
|Cavendish, Prince Edward Island|