This article covers only the city proper; Corregidor Island, administratively part of Cavite City is practically covered in a separate page.
The 2015 census shows the population to be 102,806.
Cavite City has its share of historical charms, and was the capital of Cavite until it is transfer to Trece Martires. It was established as a town since its discovery by Miguel López de Legazpi, and at the midst of Spanish colonial rule, Cavite served as an important point for the Manila-Acapulco galleons. As the town grew, Cavite since ceded four independent towns, like San Roque, La Caridad, San Antonio, Santa Cruz, and Dalahican, which remain as barangays. The Spaniards built a causeway to connect the town with mainland Cavite, but erosion reduced this to an isthmus; the causeway remains today as part of Manila-Cavite Road.
During American occupation, Corregidor Island and other smaller islands are added to the city, and the Port of Cavite is converted into a US Navy station, Naval Station Sangley Point. Cavite gained city status in 1940, one year before World War II broke out in the Pacific. Cavite City is devastated by the 1945 Allied bombings; Sangley Point, the walls of Porta Vaga, and the old town is badly destroyed by bombs. Most damaged structures are required to be demolished, and only a few remains of the old Port of Cavite.
Cavite City lies at the western end of Manila-Cavite Road (Route 62); it is 30 minutes from Manila by car.
Saint Anthony of Padua Transport and Saulog Transport provides service from Manila (Park N' Ride) or Parañaque (PITX) to their terminals in Cavite City. You can also hop onto the colorful but cramped minibuses ("baby buses") from Baclaran in Parañaque or Bacoor.
- Thirteen Martyrs Monument, intersection of M. Valentin St., Lopez Jaena Rd, Zulueta Rd and the P. Burgos Ave (in Cavite City). The thirteen Martyrs of Cavite were Filipino patriots executed by musketry on September 12, 1896, for cooperating with the Katipunan during the Philippine Revolution against Spain. The capital city of Trece Martires in Cavite is named after them. In 1906, a monument to the Thirteen Martyrs was erected at the San Roque district of Cavite City, at the head of then San Roque causeway. Their families reinterred the remains of their loved ones at the foot of the monument.
- 1 Fort San Felipe (Naval Station Pascual Ledesma).
- 2 Sangley Point. Former United States Navy station, since turned over to the Philippine Navy and Philippine Air Force. It presently houses the Danilo Atienza Air Base and Naval Base Cavite; visitors must register first before entering.
- 3 Heroes Arch. A monumental arch that served as the entrance to the Spanish-era Port of Cavite.