Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Roma or Romakloster, a monastery town with around 1,000 inhabitants; the only main retail location in the central island.
- Tofta, a beach village with around 800 inhabitants.
- Klintehamn, a port town with around 1,500 inhabitants.
Get in and around
Central Gotland is accessible by car, bus and bike. The flat sceneries make tour cycling a good option during summer.
- 1 Klintehamn guest harbour, ☏ . 5–10 guest berths. Toilet, showers and self-service laundry. Cars and bikes for hire. Café, which handles the fees. Fuel, groceries, motor service etc. 0.5–1 km away. 0–19 m: 100–260 kr.
- 2 Ljugarn, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 30 berths. 240 kr, electricity 30 kr.
- 3 Herrvik, ☏ . 0–19 m: 110–270 kr, electricity 50 kr.
- 1 Gotlands djurpark. A zoo.
- 2 Roma kloster. In Roma (also called Romakloster), 20 km from Visby, there are ruins of a Cistercian monastery from the 1160s, and a manor (Roma kungsgård). The manor is a popular destination and there are theatre performances in the church ruins in summer.
- 3 Gothemhammar (Gothemshammar). An ancient hill fort.
- 4 Folhammar. A nature reserve with rauks.
- 5 Ekstakusten. A nature reserve.
- 6 Garde kyrka. A medieval church.
- 7 Vivesholm Nature Reserve (1 km north-west from Klintehamn, near road 140), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Peninsula with wet meadows by the shores (strandängar). The vegetation is rich partly due to the long time use as pasture. Rich birdlife. Remains of a stronghold of the Victual Brothers, built 1396 (soon destroyed by the Teutonic Order) and a 1710s fortress at the same place. Dogs need to be on a leach. No campfires. Ordinary nature reserve restrictions.
- 1 Gotlandståget (Gotlands Hesselby Jernväg). 1878–1960 there was a railway to Roma (the station some distance from the manor and monastery), and a heritage railway remains: (891 mm, reconstructed along part of the former route, with some of the original stock).
- 2 Wild Horse Safari at Lojsta Hed, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tours are at 10.00 and 13.00. The tour is about 2 hours. The Gotland pony (gotlandsruss) is the only wild pony breed in Sweden. In the early 20th century the breed was close to extinction, wherefore the "Lojsta Moor" reserve was set up. Still today a herd of wild russes roam the moor. During the summer the reserve can be accessed during guided tours. 200 kr per person.
- 3 Ljungarn beach (on the eastern shore of Gotland). A long sand beach.
- 4 Sandviken beach (on the eastern shore of Gotland). A broad sand beach.
- 5 Åminne beach (on the eastern shore of Gotland). A broad sand beach.
- 6 Tofta beach (18 km south of central Visby). A long sand beach. Undeniably the most popular beach on Gotland.