While 60% of the area consists of Gatineau Park, much of the rest of Chelsea is residential with mostly large lots, and tracts of undeveloped land. It has a distinctly rural feel. The population of Chelsea is almost evenly divided between anglophones and francophones and both English and French languages are in common use throughout the town.
The municipality has a reputation for being environmentally responsible and was one of the first in Canada to ban the use of pesticides.
Chelsea is named after the Vermont town of its first settler, Thomas Brigham. The name has been in use since the early 19th century.
From Hull, take Highway 5 north (to exit 12 or 13) or head north on St. Joseph Blvd (Highway 105) past the Alonzo Wright Bridge.
Chelsea is also accessible via Notch Road, from Mountain Road North (chemin de la Montagne Nord).
A taxi from Ottawa would cost $30-45 (Dec 2018).
STO city buses #27, 33 and 35 leave Ottawa from the corner of Wellington and Bank Streets and travel through Gatineau to the de la Cité-des-Jeunes/du Plein-Air stop frequently ($4, 40 min). From there a taxi will take you to Chelsea for $14-18 (Dec 2018).
- The Ottawa Valley from several lookouts in the Park—magnificent sunsets
- 1 Kingsmere. Gardens, ruins and trails always open; museums and cottages open mid-May to mid-Oct: M W-F 10:00-17:00, Sa Su 11:00-18:00. Site of Mackenzie King Estate and the official residence of the Speaker of the House, in Gatineau Park. A tearoom provides meals in an elegant setting (reservations +1 819-827-9229).
- Pioneer cemetery, 587 Quebec Route 105. M-F 09:00-16:30.
- Meech Lake.
- 2 Gatineau Park, Visitor Centre 33 Scott Road, ☏ , toll-free: . 361 km² park for skiing (cross-country and downhill), hiking, canoeing, camping, rock-climbing, mountain biking, roller-blading, wildlife watching and leisurely strolls.
- 1 Camp Fortune, 300 chemin Dunlop, ☏ , fax: . Regular season: M-Sa 08:30-22:00, Su 08:30-16:00; reduced hours in spring. Commercial alpine ski centre composed of 5 slopes: Pineault, Clifford, Alexander, Meech, and Skyline. Open for mountain biking in summer and outdoor Aerial Experience. Lessons, rentals, skate ramp, banquet facilities.
- Vignoble de Chelsea, 1582 Route 105. Vineyard and maple sugar shack, established 2015.
- Chelsea Freshmart, 528 route 105 local A, ☏ .
- Proxim Isabelle Mènard, Suite 102-87 Chemin Old Chelsea, ☏ , fax: . M-F 09:00-20:00, Sa 09:00-17:00.
- La Cigale, 14, ch Scott, Old Chelsea, ☏ . Daily 11:00-22:00. Like the carefree cigale of the tale, the little La Cigale ice cream shop claims to be a true celebration of the essence of summertime, offering fresh, homemade ice cream created in-store every morning, concocted in original flavours like Ginger Snap & Chai, Raspberry Champagne Sorbet, Coconut Cashew and Brownies and Cream.
- Cheezy Luigis Pizza, 241 Old Chelsea Road, ☏ . Fantastic variety of fresh ingredients and tasty sauce. Italian sodas.
- Soup'herbe, 168 Old Chelsea Road, ☏ .
- Café Les Saisons, 232 Old Chelsea Rd, ☏ . M W-F 07:00-20:00, Sa Su 08:00-19:00. Coffees, smoothies, sandwiches, salads, soups.
- Les Fougères, 783 route 105, Chelsea, ☏ . W-F from 11:30, Sa Su from 10:00; reservations accepted until 21:30. Reservations recommended. Mains $20-40, individual pizza $16.
- L'Orée du Bois, 15, chemin Kingsmere, ☏ . Tu-F 17:30-22:00, Sa 17:00-22:00, Su 10:00-14:00, 17:30-22:00. Reservations recommended.
- Chelsea's Pub, 238 ch Old Chelsea, ☏ . M-F 11:30-00:00, Sa 11:00-00:00, Su 11:00-23:00. Restaurant and bar.
- Le Nordik Nature Spa, 16 Chemin Nordik, Old Chelsea, ☏ . Nordik baths, massages, day spa, restaurant, bar and lodging.
- Auberge Old Chelsea, 213 Chemin Old Chelsea, ☏ . At the edge of the Gatineau Park in the village of Old Chelsea. From $135.
- Mont Cascades water park, 448 Mont-des-Cascades Road, Cantley (30 km from Chelsea). July and Aug 10:00-17:00. Heated swimming pools and water slides. Adult $27, child $23.
A small municipality 50 km to the northeast, on the east side of the Gatineau River.
- Arbraska - Laflèche, 255, route Principale, Val-des-Monts, ☏ , toll-free: . Zip lines over a 168-m lake, suspended bridges, swings and nets. Explore Laflèche Cave, the biggest visited cave in the Canadian Shield.
|Routes through Chelsea|
|Merges with ← Wakefield ←||N S||→ Gatineau → Ottawa|
|ENDS at N S ← Wakefield ←||N S||→ Gatineau → END|