Cianjur is a city with a population of about 150,000. The city is located in the valley, about halfway between the Puncak mountain pass and the provincial capital city Bandung. Cianjur itself is the capital of the regency of Cianjur, which stretches from the border of the Greater Jakarta metropolitan area in the north to the Indian Ocean coast in the south.
Cianjur is along Indonesia's National Road 3, also known as the Southern Java route. The city is about 30 km northeast of Sukabumi, and 45 km west of the Cipularang toll road with quick connections to Bandung and Cikampek. Traditionally, Cianjur was on the main road from Jakarta to Bandung (the Great Post Road via the Puncak pass). However, since toll roads have been built most people don't drive via Cianjur anymore. In good traffic conditions, to go from Jakarta to Cianjur is still the quickest via the Puncak pass. However, especially on weekends when traffic is seriously congested it may be quicker to take the detour via the toll road (via Cikampek).
Cianjur's main intercity bus terminal is 1 Rawabango bus terminal on the eastern side of the city. However, many of the buses do not call at the terminal, but simply drop and pick up passengers in front of the terminal, along the main road (the road from Cianjur in the direction of Bandung).
During daytime, there are regular buses to Cianjur from Jakarta's Kampung Rambutan bus terminal (East Jakarta). The price of a one-way ticket is Rp25,000 (with airconditioning) and the journey takes about 3 hours if traffic conditions are good. Cianjur is also served frequently by economy class buses on the route from the port of Merak to Bandung, and there are very frequent (during daytime at least 6 per hour) buses of various classes from Bandung via Cianjur to Sukabumi.
The small shuttle buses of Siliwangi Trans also cover the route Bandung-Cianjur-Sukabumi, leaving Bandung every 2 hours from 05:00 to 19:00, with an additional bus at 21:00 on Fridays and Saturdays. In Bandung, shuttle buses depart from the Balubur Town Square shopping centre in North Bandung (☎ +62 22 844 68 648).
2 Cianjur railway station is conveniently located in the city centre, but is served by a very limited number of trains. Currently, the only train service is three daily trains to and from Sukabumi (about 1h 30m, economy class only). In Sukabumi you can transfer to trains to Bogor, but except if you want to take the train ride for the experience, it is better to take a bus instead.
- 1 Gunung Padang Megalithic Site (Situs Gunung Padang), Karyamukti village, Campaka district (about 25 km south of Cianjur, 7 km from Cireungas railway station). With 29 hectares, the biggest megalithic site in Southeast Asia. It is thought that the site was completed by 5000 BC, and possibly even much earlier. This means that, according to the surveys, the site is older than the Egyptian pyramids, and larger than the Borobudur temple. Gunung Padang ('Mount Padang') encompasses andesite rocks, which have only partly been excavated by archeologists. This means that there are still large structures to up to 15 metres below the surface, including large chambers. There are two stairways to access the site. The old one is very steep, and there is a newer one that is easier and longer. It must be noted that a group of leading Indonesian scientists has questioned the methods of the archeologists on the site, and some presume the site consists of the remainders of an ancient volcano, and that it is not man-made. Rp2,000 for Indonesians, Rp5,000 for foreigners.
- Gunung Mananggel (Manangel), Jln. Cibeureum Desa. Mekar Jaya Kec. Mande Cianjur (Hiking), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Mount Manangel is the mountain that is closest to the town of Cianjur - located about 7 KM from the town. It is 1200 m above sea level. Starting at the edges of the town, you can walk across the flowing paddy fields, through villages to the foot of the mountain until you reach a waterfall that will get you refreshed if you fancy taking a swim at Cibodas’ waterfalls.
Mount Manangel and Geulis are adjacent to each other, a row of the foothills of Mount Gede and Pangrango. Hike for 2,5 hours then you’ll see a lake of Jangari and town of Cianjur with very green expanse of paddy fields, offering some stunning views. If you are lucky, you may even see wild monkeys, but they are still intimidated by our arrival, and will run away fast when people try and get too close! On the top of mountain there is a stone with a footprint which was left there in ancient times.
At the end of hiking, the track will be going down and much easier
- The Cianjur Adventure Programme (see below: Sleep) offers opportunities for voluntary work, helping teaching English to the local students. This is a great way to get into contact with the local population and is very appreciated by them. The programme also offers several trips around Cianjur, like visiting a rural village or climbing a nearby mountain. Contact them, if you would like to get some more information about the trips offered currently, just contact them.
- Bule Homestay Cianjur, Jalan. Asnawi (Directions: From Kampung Rambutan Bus Terminal of Jakarta Take a bus with the route Jakarta-Cianjur-Bandung or Jakarta-Cianjur and ask a bus conductor to let you off at Harimart Bypass, it takes 3-4 hours (Rp,35.000 each) then from Harimart take a red van (Angkutan) No 05 B/01B (Rp,4.000) get off at Pasar Ramayana Muka. From Jakarta Sukarno Hatta Airport Take a Damri bus with the route Soekarno Hatta-Bogor (Rp,45.000 each). From Bogor take a whitevan 2 hours (Rp,30.000) and the van will stop at Pasar Ramayana Muka. From Bandung Airport/Train Station Coming from Bandung airport is actually closer than coming from Jakarta airport. You have to go to Leuwi Panjang bus terminal if you come from the airport or train Station, take a taxi to Leuwi Panjang bus terminal, then take a bus with the route Bandung-Cianjur-Sukabumi, and get off at bus terminal of Rawa Bango Cianjur. It takes 2 hours (Rp,20.000) and then after you will have to take a red van No 05 A/01 B (Rp,4.000) get off at Pasar Ramayana Muka. From Yogyakarta by Train or Night Bus By train the same direction, you have to go to the bus terminal. However by bus, You’ll spend most of your time on the bus, generally you will end up seeing the dark night on the journey, and it takes 12 hours. The night buses leave every afternoon at 4/5 pm and you have to catch it at Yogyakarta's Giwangan bus terminal or Solo's Tirtonadi bus terminal with the route Yogyakarta-Bandung-Cianjur-Sukabumi. Then ask a bus conductor! Get me off at Rawa Bango bus terminal, and take a red van No 05 A/01 B (Rp,4.000) get off at Pasar Ramayana Muka.), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Cianjur Homestay Program, free WIFI, Laundry Tea, Kopi and Water. Rp. 110,000 only breakfast and 150,000 included three meals
A popular dish from Cianjur is bubur Cianjur, or Cianjur-style chicken rice congee. This porridge includes beans, celery, fried onions, and shredded chicken. A key difference with chicken congee types from other cities is that no coconut milk is used, but there are pieces of chicken innards (liver, gizzard, and intestines).
- 1 Bubur Ayam Lestari Cianjur, Jl. Dr. Muwardi No. 40. Simple eatery selling bubur Cianjur as well as several other dishes, including fried chicken, fried rice, noodles, and fresh fruit juices.
- 1 Cianjur Adventure Programme, Jalan Arwinda, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Homestay programme, all meals included. Very friendly staff. Rp225,000 per person per night.
- 2 Bydiel Hotel, Jalan Ir. H. Djuanda No. 70A, ☎ . Double rooms from Rp192,500 per night (with airconditioning from Rp330,000).
- Mount Gede Pangrango National Park — conservation area centred around two volcanoes.
- Puncak — mountain pass with a wide range of recreation facilities.
- Cimahi — 50 km east of Cianjur, with a large Dutch war cemetery.
|Routes through Cianjur|
|Anyer ← Puncak ←||W E||→ Cimahi → Panarukan|