Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cleburne is one of those fun close-minded towns named after a Confederate general in the Cross Timbers region. It was first a rendezvous point for Confederate soldiers during the Civil War, mostly under Patrick Cleburne, then a watering hole on the Chisholm Trail, then a stop along multiple railroads. But today it's more or less a conservative suburb of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex with a couple of museums and a reservoir known as Lake Cleburne.
- The Chisholm Trail Museum; Big Bear Native American Museum, 101 Chisholm Trail, ☏ +1 254 998-0261. Among other things, it has a restored log courthouse, pretty much a unique oddity you'll seldom find anywhere, plus a blacksmith shop and other nostalgia, then Native American exhibits. $8-$9 adults, $5 kids.
- Layland Museum, 201 Caddo St, ☏ +1 817 645-0940. Tu-F 10AM-5PM, Sa 10AM-4PM. Another history museum, more regional and generic than the Chisholm Trail Museum. Free.
- Cleburne Railroad Museum, 206 N Main St, ☏ +1 817 645-0940. Tu-Sa 11AM-4PM. All about the rail conglomerates that made a presence in the old town. Free.
- Gone With the Wind Museum, 305 E 2nd St, ☏ +1 817 517-3897. Th-Sa 10AM-5PM. Gone With The Wind Fans ought to like this one. $10 adults, $7 kids.
- Dinosaur Science Museum and Research Center, 113 W Magnolia St, Keene (on the Southwestern Adventist University campus), ☏ +1 817 202-6336. Su-F 10AM-4PM. A natural history dealing with dinosaurs, but the perspective may be a little Adventist-based.
- Plaza Main Street Theatre, 111 S Main St, ☏ +1 817 202-0600. Performing arts theater.
- Hulen Park, 1010 Hillsboro St, ☏ +1 817 556-8858. Daily 8AM-10PM. Urban park with a locomotive and a trail behind a stagnant stream.
- Buddy Stewart Park, 100 Byron Stewart Park Rd, ☏ +1 817 556-8858. Park along Lake Pat Cleburne with trails.
- Cleburne State Park, 5800 Park Rd 21, ☏ +1 817-645-4215. Daily 7AM-10PM. This state park encompassing spring-fed Cedar Lake provides a good intro to Cross Timbers region ecology with chances to see coyotes and bobcat along 6 miles of trail. $6 free if under 13).
You can try camping at the state park.
- Super 8 by Wyndham Cleburne, 1707 W Henderson St, ☏ +1 817 556-3330. Here an elevated hot tub spills its water over into the pool for a kind of cool effect.