Coburg is a city in Upper Franconia a region in Bavaria, Germany. Coburg has been the household name for some royal dynasties in Europe, UK, Belgium, Portugal and Bulgaria are the most important. So you will find lots of castles, palaces and other historical buildings in Coburg.
- 1 Main station. The main hub in Coburg and served by the three daily ICEs (per direction) that take the slight detour from the High Speed Line that opened late 2017. Also served by local trains towards Sonneberg, Bayreuth and Nuremberg
Coburg is jsut off the A73 about 50 km north of Bamberg.
- 1 Rathaus.
- Münzmeisterhaus. Dating from 1350 one of the oldest timber framed buildings in Germany.
- 2 Hofapotheke, Markt 15 (If you come from Spitalgasse look left). the building and the use as a pharmacy dates back to the 15th century.
- 3 Prince Albert Memorial (In the middle of the Marktplatz). Prince Albert (husband to Queen Victoria) was a prince of Saxe-Coburg.
- 4 Moritzkirche. You will see remnants of Gothic paintings and in front a very large epitaph, which was donated by Duke Casimir of Saxe-Coburg to his parents.
- Gymnasium Casimirianum. a beautiful building from 1605. Till today it is used as a school of higher education. Look at the statue at the corner of the building. It is Duke Johann Casimir who founded this school. He had the ambition to make a university out of it. Till today in July the students of this school assemble around this statue and decorate it with laurels.
- 5 Ehrenburg Palace (Schloss Ehrenburg). Mixture of styles. In the inner courtyard you can see the baroque additions, and when you go further the castle will show you its neo-gothic exterior on the Schloßplatz. Please by a ticket for a guided tour. There are very interesting rooms, like the 'hall of giants', the ducal living rooms and others. And a lot of stories about the princesses and princes from Coburg to hear.
- 6 Veste Coburg (On a hill overlooking the town). from which you can see an amazing view of the city and surrounding hillside. Housed within there is a Veste Coburg Art Collections Museum. It is also the location where Martin Luther stayed while being declared an outlaw by the Holy Roman Empire.
- 7 Naturkunde-Museum (natural history museum), Park 6, ☎ .
- 8 Coburger Puppenmuseum, Rückertstr. 2-3, ☎ .
- 9 Schloss Rosenau (7 km east of the town). the birthplace of Price Albert, Royal Consort to Queen Victoria and home to European Museum of Modern Glass is just a couple of miles North East of town.
- Walk the path of original walls of the town.
- Wander the park around Veste Coburg.
- 1 Theatre of Coburg (Landestheater Coburg), Schlossplatz 6 (opposite of the Ehrenburg), ☎ . If you are here during season don't miss to attend san opera or a musical there. The interior of the theatre gives you an glimpse in the past of entertainment of the ducal society during the 19th century.
- 2 AQUARIA, Rosenauer Straße 32, ☎ . Indoor and outdoor swimming pools
- Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas market): . (date needs fixing)
- Samba Festival Coburg - largest Samba Festival outside Brazil - attracts about 200000 visitors usually in July
Coburger Bratwurst. On the Marktplatz (market square) you will find one or two stalls, who serve them to you. In the traditional way the Bratwurst has to be roasted over pine cones, which gives them part of their unique taste. The size of the Bratwurst is determined by a figure on the town hall (Rathaus, also on the Marktplatz) called Bratwurstmännle, which is said to keep the measure in one hand.
A second thing to try are the Coburger Klöße (Coburg dumplings), made from potatoes. They are served (mostly Sundays) with a variety of meats and roasts (pork, deer, beef) in nearly every German type Gasthaus or restaurant.
- 1 Coburger Kloßküche, Heiligkreuzstr. 29, ☎ .
- 2 Café Restaurant Filou, Bahnhofstraße 11, ☎ .
- 3 The Hungry Highlander, Steingasse 11, ☎ .
- 4 Schnitzelstube Triebsdorf, Hohensteiner Straße 6, ☎ .
- 5 Bar Celona, Ernstplatz 1, ☎ .
- 6 Restaurant Das Backstüble, Lossaustr. 12, ☎ .
- 7 Brauhaus zu Coburg, Nägleinsgasse 4, ☎ .
- 8 Restaurant Loreley, Herrngasse 14, ☎ .
- 9 Mediterran, Weichengereuth 50, ☎ .
- 1 Hotel Weinstube Gerberhof, Gerbergasse 1 (Ecke Steinweg), ☎ .
- 2 Hotel Löhnert, Schustersdamm 28, ☎ .
- 3 Garni-Hotel Gemmer, Rosenauer Straße 10, ☎ .
- 4 Hotel Goldener Anker, Rosengasse 14, ☎ .
- Hotel Stadt Coburg.
- Schloss Hohenstein.
- Goldene Traube.