Europe > Britain and Ireland > United Kingdom > England > West Country > Wiltshire > Chippenham
Chippenham is a market town in the south west of England, midway between the cities of Bath and Swindon. Its population has grown rapidly in the 21st century, and become Wiltshire's third largest town with 40,000 inhabitants.
The rapid expansion can be attributed to the development of the South West regional economy, and to the new housing estates developed in Chippenham such as the recent Cepen Park North and South areas to the west of the town and the earlier Pewsham estate to the east.
The town lies in the Avon Vale, the broad valley of the River Avon in the low lying claylands of north west Wiltshire. Chippenham is located at a convenient crossing point of the River Avon, within close proximity of the nearby towns of Corsham, Calne, Melksham and Malmesbury. Higher ground lies to the east of the town at the Marlborough Downs, to the north at the Cotswolds and to the south at Salisbury Plain.
The origins of Chippenham are believed to be from before Roman times, with remains of settlements from this time claimed to be in the wall behind the former magistrates court in the town today.
During Saxon times it emerged as an early settlement around 600 AD. There may also have been a royal forest and hunting lodge here that was used by Alfred the Great.
The name Chippenham may have been originated from Cyppa's Hamme - perhaps a Saxon chief called Cyppa, or from the word ce-ap meaning market, and Hamme meaning enclosed by the river or an enclosed water meadow. In its early years this was an area of small family farms, perhaps concentrating on dairy farming and cheese making.
The name is also claimed to be recorded as Cippanhamm, Cepen, Cheppeham, Shippenham and Chippyngham. The Domesday Book listed Chippenham as Cepen, with a population of 600-700 people in 1086. The town received a charter of incorporation in May 1554 by Queen Mary.
Chippenham town centre is approximately 4 miles (6.4 km) from Junction 17 of the M4, linking to Swindon, Reading and London to the East and Bristol and South Wales to the West. It lies on the A4 (linking to Bath in the West) and the A350 (linking to Warminster and the South coast).
- 1 Chippenham Railway Station, Cocklebury Rd, Chippenham SN15 3QE. On the Great Western mainline from London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads, served by a half-hourly Intercity service (operated by First Great Western). The main station building (on the South side of the station) contains a staffed ticket office, 3 ticket machines and an independent café (serving food, drinks and newspapers). Car parks on the north and south sides of the station and bicycle parking, a taxi rank and bus stops on the South side. Trains serve both sides of an island platform, accessed by steps from the north or south sides of the station. Step-free access requires assistance from station staff to cross at track level.
First Group operates the 231/232 route to Bath (via Corsham) and 234 to Frome.
Stagecoach operates the 55 to Swindon (via Calne and Royal Wootton Bassett).
National Express coach services call at Chippenham: Northampton to Bristol (302), Bath to London (403) and Penzance to London (404).
- National Cycle Route 403. Crosses the North Wessex Downs and Savernake Forest, linking Chippenham to Marlborough and the Kennet & Avon Canal.
- National Cycle Route 254. Part of the Wiltshire Cycleway through the South Wiltshire Downs. Passes 3½ miles (5 km) SW of the town
- National Cycle Route 4. Runs London to Fishguard, passing 9 miles (14 km) S of the town
The town is small enough to get around on foot.
Surrounding the town are many ancient villages, including Lacock, Castle Combe, Langley Burrell, Kington Langley, Derry Hill, Kington St Michael, Colerne, Yatton Keynell and Biddestone.
- 1 Corsham Court, Corsham, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The stately home can also be found in the town centre. Standing on a former Saxon Royal Manor, it is based on an Elizabethan manor home from 1582. Since 1745, it has been part of the Methuen estate. The house has an extensive collection of Old Masters, rooms furnished by Robert Adam and Thomas Chippendale, and parks landscaped by Capability Brown and Humphry Repton. The house is open to the public January-November, and is famed locally for its peacocks, which freely wander about the streets. Adult £10, child £5.
- 2 Lacock Abbey, Fox Talbot Museum, Lacock, near Chippenham SN15 2LG (4 miles S of Chippenham), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Chippenham Museum, 9-10 Market Place, Chippenham SN15 3HF, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 10AM-4PM. Free.
- 4 Bowood House (Stately Home & Gardens), Calne SN11 0LZ (5½ miles E of Chippenham), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 11AM-6PM, last admission 5PM. House & Gardens: adult £12.50, child £9.50, senior £10.50.
- 5 The Cause (Venue & Community Arts Centre), 42 The Causeway, Chippenham SN15 3DD, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Chippenham Folk Festival, The Cause Music and Arts Centre, 42, The Causeway SN15 3DD, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Over 200 events taking place within the town centre. The main ceilidh and concert events take place in the beautiful park alongside the river. The annual festival takes place in late May.
- 1 Baydons Wood (OS Grid ref: ST 925 730). 1 ha woodland (parking not easy).
- 2 M4 Karting (Indoor Karting), Hangar 88 Hullavington Airfield, Chippenham SN14 6GU (6 miles N of Chippenham), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Daily. From £10/10 min.
- 3 Drive-Tech (Driving Experiences), Castle Combe Circuit, Chippenham SN14 7BW (4½ miles NW of Chippenham), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Skid pan, 4x4, karting.
- 4 Kids Combat Adventures (Laser tag combat), The Croft Startley, Chippenham SN15 5HG (7 miles N of Chippenham), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 Morrisons (Supermarket), Cepen Park North, Chippenham SN14 6UZ, ☏ . M-Sa 7AM-10PM, Su 10AM-4PM. Petrol station, pharmacy & cafe (different hours), ATMs.
- 3 Sainsbury's (Supermarket), Bath Rd, Chippenham SN14 0BJ, ☏ . M-Sa 7AM-10PM, Su 10AM-4PM.
- 4 Cycology (Sales, Accessories, Parts & Workshop), 20 New Rd, Chippenham SN15 1HS, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 9AM-5:30PM, Sa 9AM-5PM.
Chippenham has a small selection of fine local restaurants:
- 1 Ashoka, 62 Market Place, Chippenham, SN15 3HG, ☏ , fax: . Simple or spicy Indian food freshly prepared every day.
- 2 Cafe India (Indian restaurant & take-away), 5a New Rd, Chippenham SN15 1EL, ☏ . M-Th noon-2PM & 5:30-11PM, F 5:30-11:30PM, Sa Su noon-2PM & 5:30-11PM. Simple or spicy Indian food freshly prepared every day (order online).
There is a selection of Indian and Chinese restaurants around the town, very few chain restaurants, with a Pizza Express in the town centre, Pizza Hut further out of town and McDonald's and Burger King around the town's bypass.
- 3 La Passione (Italian Restaurant), 29 New Rd, Chippenham SN15 1HZ, ☏ . M-Sa noon-2:30PM & 5-11PM, Su noon-10PM.
- 4 Prezzo (Italian restaurant & take-away), 57-58 New Rd, Chippenham SN15 1ES, ☏ . Daily noon-11:30PM.
- 5 The Raj (Indian Restaurant & Take-away), 18A Station Hill, Chippenham SN15 1EG, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Daily 5:30-11PM.
- 6 Rivo Lounge, 2-4 The Bridge, Chippenham SN15 1EX, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-W 8AM-11PM, Th-Sa 8AM-midnight, Su 9AM-11PM. Burgers, wraps and brunches
- 7 The Gladstone Arms (Pub & Food), 34 Gladstone Rd, Chippenham SN15 3BW, ☏ . Pub: Tu-Th 11:30AM-2:30PM & 5-11PM, F Sa 11AM-11PM, Su noon-11PM, Bank Hol noon-10PM; food: Tu-Th noon-2PM & 5:30-9PM, F Sa noon-2PM & 5:30-9:30PM, Su noon-4PM. Gastro-pub with dedicated restaurant area serving high quality classic dishes.
- 1 The Brunel (Pub & Food), 54-55 New Rd, Chippenham SN15 1ES, ☏ . M-Th 10AM-11PM, F 10AM-1AM, Sa 10AM-2AM, Su 11AM-11PM.
- 2 The Old Tavern (Pub), Old Rd, Chippenham SN15 1JA, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 3 The Black Horse (Pub), 62 New Rd, Chippenham SN15 1ES, ☏ (mobile). Tu W 5PM-1AM, Th 5PM-2AM, F 5PM-3AM, Sa noon-3AM, Su 5PM-midnight.
- 4 Bridge House (Pub & Food), Borough Parade, Chippenham SN15 3WL, ☏ . M-Th 8AM-11PM, F Sa 8AM-1AM, Su 8AM-11PM.
- 5 The Three Crowns (Pub), 18 The Causeway, Chippenham SN15 3DB, ☏ . M-Th 5PM-close, F-Su noon-close.
- 6 The Four Seasons (Pub & Food), 6 Market Place Chippenham SN15 3HD, ☏ . Pub: M-Th 11AM-11:30PM, F Sa 11AM-midnight, Su 11AM-10:30PM; food: M-Sa noon-9PM, Su noon-4PM.
- 1 Angel Hotel (Best Western Plus Angel Hotel), Market Place, Chippenham SN15 3HD, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A 17th-century coaching inn, extensively refurbished with a blend of traditional and contemporary style. 50 en-suite bedrooms, including: 4 four-poster bedrooms, 2 bedrooms equipped for guests with a disability, 32" LCD TV with Freeview and Sky Sports 1 in all rooms, complementary Wi-Fi in all bedrooms and public areas, private dining rooms, brasserie, 2 bars, 4 conference rooms, wedding receptions, heated indoor swimming pool and gymnasium and free parking. Rooms from £86.35 (book using a discount site for best deals).
- 2 Premier Inn, Cepen Park, West Cepen Way, Chippenham SN14 6UZ, ☏ (premium), fax: . Comfortable beds in every room & onsite Brewers Fayre restaurant serving pub food in a family friendly environment. Rooms from £64.
- 3 Red Box Guest House (B&B), 35 Buckingham Rd, Pewsham, Chippenham SN15 3TE, ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 3-9PM, check-out: 10:30AM. A modern Bradstone home with a landscaped garden, patio and summer house, in a quiet cul-de-sac. Off-road parking and a restored 1936 red telephone box on the drive. Centrally heated throughout, en-suite bedrooms, digital TV with Freeview, DVD player, clock radio/alarm, hospitality tray, Wi-Fi, iron and hairdryer. Single occupancy from £40, double from £70 (discounts available for weekday or weekly guests).
- 4 New Road Guest House (B&B), 31 New Rd, Chippenham SN15 1HP, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This friendly, family-run B&B in the heart of Chippenham has ten bedrooms, five in the Main House and five in the Coach House in the garden, with a mixture of singles, doubles, twins and family rooms, all of which have Freeview TV and a hospitality tray. Single occupancy from £50, double from £65.
- 5 The Pines (B&B), 81-82 Marshfield Rd, Chippenham SN15 1JR, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Bar daily 5-11PM; restaurant: daily 6-10PM. The Pines Hotel is fully licensed and prides itself on its home cooking and friendly atmosphere. Over 20 rooms, free wireless internet, private car park and wheel chair access. There are facilities for small conferences, wedding receptions and private functions. A beer/patio garden open all year. Restaurant serving Greek and Cypriot cuisine; the chef is a Greek national. Single from £45, double from £78.
- 6 The Bear Hotel, 12 Market Place, Chippenham SN15 3HJ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2-9PM, check-out: 10AM. Bar, free Internet access (wireless) in public areas, pool, non-smoking (throughout), lock-up facility for bicycles. from £50/night..
Out of town
- 7 Stanton Manor Hotel (Stanton Manor Hotel & Gallery Restaurant), Stanton Saint Quintin, Near Chippenham, SN14 6DQ, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Combining heritage with a modern approach, set in private grounds. Enjoying a relaxed meal or for longer visits whilst exploring the local area. Private, AA Rosette award-winning cuisine, with local, seasonal produce and an experienced chef, menus can be fully tailored to suit requirements. The entire house can be reserved to ensure a private dining experience. Placed at the gateway to the Cotswolds, with a range of private rooms and corporate facilities, inviting accommodation and a welcoming restaurant open to non-residents. Rooms from £99.
- 8 Lucknam Park, Colerne, Chippenham SN14 8AZ, ☏ . Upscale hotel and spa in a grand 18th C country mansion. There's an equestrian centre and an acclaimed restaurant. B&B double from £380.
- 9 Sign of the Angel, 6 Church St, Lacock SN15 2LB, ☏ . Excellent small hotel in 15th C coaching inn in this bijou village, great cuisine. B&B double £110.
- 10 Methuen Arms, 2 High St, Corsham SN13 0HB, ☏ . Pub with rooms in a Georgian coaching inn, great cuisine. B&B double £120.
- 1 Post Office, 24 New Rd, Chippenham SN15 1HS. M-Th 8:30AM-5:30PM, F 9AM-5:30PM, Sa 9AM-12:30PM.
- 2 Chippenham Library, Timber St, Chippenham SN15 3EJ, ☏ . M 10AM-PM, Tu 9AM-5PM, W 9AM-1PM, Th F 9AM-7PM, Sa 9AM-5PM. Free WiltsOnline public Wi-Fi available.
- Swindon - Known for its history as the heart of the Great Western Railway, 15 minutes by train (or 30 minutes by car on the A350 dual carriageway and M4 motorway)
- Bath - Easily accessible, this beautiful Roman City boasts magnificent architecture, parks and shopping as well as its world-famous Roman Baths. 15 miles WSW
- Chipping Sodbury 20 miles to W.
- Melksham 8 miles to S.
- Avebury famous for its neolithic stone circle 14 miles to E.
- Devizes 12 miles to SE.
- Malmesbury southern Cotswold town, 11 miles to N.
|Routes through Chippenham|
|Bristol ← Yate ←||W E||→ Swindon → London|
|Bath ← Corsham ←||W E||→ Avebury → Marlborough|
|merges with and (Cirencester) ←||N S||→ Trowbridge → Warminster|