Dénia (Spanish: Denia) is a small tourist city located in the southeastern coast of Spain, to the north of Alicante province. It has a population of around 40,000 although this can be more than doubled by tourism during the summer months.
Dénia has a very long history coming even before the Romans (when it was called Hemeroscopeion) and going through the Moors until now. Almost everywhere in the town you can find ruins dating back to its historic past.
- 1 Tourist Info Dénia, C/ Manuel Lattur, 1 (opposite the train station), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Vary by season, generally M-Sa 9:30-13.45 and 17:00-19:00/20:00, Su 9:30-13.45; during Jul and Aug also open Su 17:00-20:00. Staff members speak English, French, and German.
Dénia is equidistant to Alicante and Valencia and both airports are very well serviced by numerous major and low-cost international airlines, so arriving and departing is really easy and because of the competition is not expensive. Both airports are approximately 60 minutes travelling time straight down the A7/E15 autopista.
- 1 Estació del TRAM (Tram Station), Passeig del Saladar, ☎ . Tram Alicante (el Trenet) operates a light rail train connecting all major settlements along the coast between Dénia and Alicante, with the exception of Xábia. From Alicante the travel time is about 2½ hours. Guide dogs and small pets in carriers are permitted.
For travelers with smartphones, there is a helpful official app (iPhone and Android) with a route planner and timetables. €1.35-7.15 for a single journey, depending on distance.
- 2 Estación de Autobuses (Bus Station), Plaza del Archiduque Carlos, 4. Within the region, Alsa operates a route connecting all major coastal settlements between Valencia and Alicante, including Cullera, Gandía, Oliva, Calpe, Altea, Benidorm, and Villajoyosa. There are also daily buses going to and coming from Madrid, Algeciras, Barcelona, Seville, and Almeria.
- 3 Port de Dénia (Puerto de Denia / Dénia Port), Estación Marítima, Moll de la Pansa, s/n. Has a taxi stand, bus service, restaurants, and Wi-Fi.
- 4 Baleària (in the main ferry terminal), ☎ (call centre), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 09:00-20:00, Su 10:00-20:00. Operates ferries to the Balearic Islands, including Ibiza, Palma de Mallorca, Sant Antoni de Portmany, and Formentera. For ticketed passengers the company offers free transportation from downtown Dénia to the ferry terminal.
- 5 Mundo Marino, Avinguda Joan Fuster, 2 (ticket office), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Daily 09:00-14:00, 16:00-19:00. Operates a ferry route to Jávea (Xàbia); hours vary by season. A round-trip ticket costs €18, and the journey lasts 50 minutes.
Denibus (tel. +34 966 421 408) operates four routes in Dénia, all of which depart from 6 bus shelters on the Esplanade Cervantes. A single journey costs €1.50, payable directly to the bus driver on entry. Route maps and timetables can be viewed here.
This is the original town settlement of Dénia and spreads from the harbour and old marina to the other side of the castle – the castle being the center which offered protection to the inhabitants. Today you can walk on cobblestone pedestrian streets, pausing for tapas and a drink at one of the many typical bars. It is very interesting to walk around the old fisherman neighborhood, the old marina and harbour or the main street (Carrer Marqués de Campos) which now has wonderful and elegant shops. The new marina is sited to the south side of town and you can walk, dine and drink whilst looking out over some wonderful yachts, both sail and motor.
- 1 Castell de Dénia (Castillo de Denia / Dénia Castle). Open daily: Nov-Mar 10:00-18:00, Apr-May 10:00-19:00, Jun 10:00-21:00, Jul-15 Sep 10:00-20:30, 16-30 Sep 10:00-20:00, Oct 10:00-18:30. The 12th century castle has been sympathetically restored and forms the center of the town and of the historical center of Dénia. It is in good condition and retains the main wall which encircles the castle. €3 (adults), €2 (seniors/students), €1 (children 8-14).
- 2 Museu Etnològic (Museo Etnológico / Ethnology Museum), Carrer Cavallers, 1. Tu-Sa 10:30-13:00 16:00-19:00, Su 10:30-13:00. In the ethnological museum you will find all the information about the ancient and most recent history, when Dénia was a big raisin exporter and had a big toy industry. Free.
There is also the fishing port where you can watch the small fishing vessels bring the daily catch into the port where it is boxed and sold at auction – the freshest fish you'll eat anywhere! You can even buy it and take it back to your apartment to cook on the barbecue.
Dénia is right on the coastline of the Costa Blanca - the White Coast. On one side is the Mediterranean sea and to the other distant mountains - the Montgo (around 650 m) which is now considered a nature reserve thanks to its Mediterranean flora and fauna. It has also some interesting caves like La cova de l'aigua. The drive over the mountain from Dénia to Javea is stunning with amazing views.
As said before, if you do scuba diving or just snorkeling then rocky beach is the place for you. Over there you can see all kinds of Mediterranean fishes, squids, octopuses, sea urchins, etc. If you want to relax and sunbathe then the sandy beaches are wonderful.
- Beaches. One of the main attractions of Dénia are the beaches. They stretch for around 26 km. of coast divided in three parts: sandy beaches, the Marinas and the rocky coastlne. If you go with children then the beaches in Las Marinas are more comfortable with most of the sandy beaches towards this northern side of Dénia. Many of the beaches are 'blue flag' and most are equipped with foot showers and red cross volunteers. If you like diving then the rocky coastline towards the south of Dénia would be more interesting, like La punta negra or at the end of Les Rotes where there is a huge cliff and very popular with divers. Along the beach there are chiringuitos or beach bars which are open from May through September. An easy stroll up the beach and you are in the center of Dénia.
Dénia is famous for its restaurants which serve fresh fish and wonderful meat dishes. There are so many and so varied including a 3-starred Michelin-rated gastronomic wonder.
- 1 Ticino Due, C/ de Bellavista, 3 (near the port), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 10:00-23:00. Mainly Italian cuisine. Outdoor terrace. Reasonable prices. Set menu €12.60.
- 2 Quique Dacosta Restaurante, C/ Rascassa, 1 (Urbanización El Poblet), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Sep-Jun: W-Su 13:30-15:00 20:30-22:30; Jul Aug: daily 13:30-15:00 20:30-22:30. This restaurant is owned and operated by star chef Quique Dacosta, known for his avant-garde cuisine using only locally-sourced ingredients. It is widely considered to be one of the best restaurants not only in Spain but in Europe, and has been awarded three Michelin stars. Reservations can be made online, and require a €50 non-refundable deposit. Set menu €199, optional wine pairing €99.
There are many apartments and penthouses which can be rented as well as small hotels.
- 1 Hotel El Raset, Carrer Bellavista, 1, ☎ . Check-in: 14:00-23:00, check-out: 12:00-12:30. Has an onsite restaurant and bar, and free Wi-Fi. Parking €15/day. Doubles €126, including breakfast.
- 2 Hotel Villamor, Camí Entrador de Llobell, 1 (Carretera de Las Marinas, km 3), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00-23:30, check-out: 07:30-12:00. Has an onsite bar and free Wi-Fi. Also has holiday apartments. Doubles €99-125, triples €142, breakfast €5.90.
- 3 La Posada del Mar, Plaça Dressanes, 2 (in front of the market), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00-24:00, check-out: 12:00. Located in a restored 13th-century building, the hotel has an onsite bar and restaurant, and fitness centre. Free Wi-Fi, parking €16/day. Doubles €151+, breakfast €10.
- 4 Hotel Los Ángeles Dénia, Carrer Picardo, 12 (Carretera Las Marinas, Km 4), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Located right on the beach, the hotel has an outdoor pool, fitness centre, onsite bar-restaurant, free Wi-Fi and free parking. Doubles €175+, including breakfast.
- 5 Hotel Port Dénia, Carretera Denia-Javea, 48, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Has an onsite bar and restaurant, garden, indoor and outdoor pools, fitness centre, and free Wi-Fi. Parking €12/day. Doubles €153.
- 6 La Sella Golf Resort, Partida Alquería Ferrando s/n (Jesús Pobre), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 12:00. This holiday resort features a five-star Marriott hotel and spa, stylish apartments, outdoor pool, a golf course designed by Jose Maria Olazabal, and several restaurants. Free Wi-Fi and parking. Doubles €154+.