Dadra and Nagar Haveli is a district of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu wedged between the states of Maharashtra and Gujarat. The two taluks – Dadra and Nagar Haveli are separated from each other by a few kilometers – are both on the west coast, at the mouth of the Daman Ganga river.
The district of Dadra and Nagar Haveli is a small piece of land wedged between the Maharashtra and Gujarat. Until 1954, this area was under Portuguese colonial rule. Between 1954 and 1961, it was self-governing. On its integration with the Indian Union in 1961, Silvassa was made its capital.
Dadra and Nagar Haveli was used to be a union territory of India until January 2020, when it was merged with Daman and Diu. As of 2021, Dadra and Nagar Haveli is a district of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu.
It is less than 500 km2 in size, covered with tall trees and winding rivers. The hospitable, kind, unselfish native local tribal people have their own customs, dances and rituals which are quite fascinating. The district enjoys a very pleasant climate from November to March, which is the best time for a visit. Temperatures during the summer are comfortable too, even during the day, due to the district's proximity to the sea.
Surat International Airport, Surat, Gujarat is 138 km from Silvassa. Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport is 159 km from Silvassa.
Dadra and Nagar Haveli almost touches the National Highway 48 Mumbai-Vadodara-Delhi. Silvassa is about 14 km from Bhilad via Naroli and 14 km Vapi via Dadra.
The nearest railway stations are in Vapi and Bhilad in Western Railways, which are about 14 km (9.9 mi) & 18 km (8.7 mi) respectively from Silvassa. All major Mail/Express trains are available at Vapi including August Kranti Rajdhani, Satabdi, Ahinsa, Karnavati etc.
- 1 Children's Park, Silvassa.
- 2 Hirva Van Garden, Pipariya, Silvassa - Vapi Road (Near Pipariya Police Station). Near the Daman Gangan River.
- 3 Madhuban Dam, Silvassa. On the Daman Ganga River.
- 4 Our Lady of Piety (Silvassa Church), Silvassa.
- 5 Park Ayyappa Temple (Ayappa Mandir), Silvassa.
- 6 Park Balaji Temple (Balaji Mandir), Silvassa.
- 7 Park Ram Temple (Shriv Ram Mandir), Silvassa.
- Temple of Lord Shiva, Bindrabin (Vrundavan). Approximately 18 km south of Silvassa.
- 8 Tribal Cultural Museum, Silvassa.
- 9 Van Dhara Garden, Silvassa. Near the Daman Gangan River.
- 10 Vanganga Garden, Dadra. Has boating facilities.
There really isn't any order of things that you can do. If you are looking for a quick weekend getaway, Silvassa is a good place. You can be holed up in any one of the many resorts in Silvassa and surrounding areas, or you can let yourself loose in the lush green sights of the surrounding flora and fauna.
- Aquaserene Tourist Complex, Dudhni.
- Himai Van Health Resort, Kauncha.
- Luhari Tourist Complex, Luhari.
- P.W.D. Guest House, Silvassa (Nr. Stadium Ground).
- Tapovan Tourist Complex, Bindrabin, Khanvel.
- Water Sport & Tourist Complex, Dudhni.