Dalanzadgad is the base for explorations into the Gobi Gurvan Saikhan National Park. With black smoke coming from the power station, and its dusty roads, it's not a very interesting town by itself, but it's a good place to stock up with food for your excursion into the desert.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
There is a pretty fast and efficient daily bus from Ulaanbaatar at 08:00 and 16:00 (about 10 hours, 28,000 ₮ (as of January 2015)). It leaves at the Bayanzurkh bus station which you can reach by the Electrobus #4 or City Bus #30 from Chinggis Square (Blue Sky Tower). Ask a bus worker to let you know when to get off.
Minibuses ("Porgons" and "Mikrs") leave from the Ulaanbaatar "Black Market" (Narantuul Zakh) when they are full (that means, really full: 16 people!), usually in the afternoon between 12:00-17:00 and cost around 30,000 ₮. Expect frequent breakdowns and up to 24hr traveling time.
The airport serves workers at several large mines nearby and generally uses larger planes than other domestic flights in Mongolia. The paved runway is the 2nd longest in Mongolia after Chinggis Khaan International.
- AeroMongolia, ☏ (Ulaanbaatar), (Dalanzadgad), ✉ email@example.com. M-F 09:00-18:00. It is generally cheaper, but uses older planes. Charges foreigners double the local rate. Flights everyday of the week during summer.
- Hunnu Air (Located in Building of Golomt bank), ☏ (Ulaanbaatar), (Dalanzadgad), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Formerly Mongolian Airlines. Flights to Ulaanbaatar everyday of the week during summer, and Mon, Wed, and Fri during winter.
There is a taxi service that will take you anywhere inside Dalanzadgad for 1000 ₮ (+976 19001565 - there is a 500 ₮ charge added onto your total fee if you call). Fare to the bus station: 2000 ₮; to the airport: 5000 ₮.
- Dalanzadgad Temple
- Ömnögovi Aimag Museum
- Ömnögovi Aimag Children's Park
- The Khermen tsav canyon is 450 km from Dalanzadgad. It is an alluring red looking canyon that stretches for 15-20 km. 65-250 million years ago Khermen Tsav was an ocean bed. After it dried out, millions of years wind and water erosion formed this majestic looking canyon with moon surface like shapes. The site is known not only by its beauty of natural formation, but also by its findings of dinosaur fossils and eggs. The first full skeleton of a dinosaur was found from there.
- Camel riding can be arranged with some locals if you negotiate well or even some locals offer you cheap good camel rides depending on different hotels premises.
- Nearby hotels sometime random local gift shops open and sell unique local souvenirs.
There are a few good restaurants in town. Most hotels will have a restaurant. There are a few good supermarkets as well.
Some non-hotel restaurants:
- Marvel Pub
- Gobi Restaurant
Draft beers are only available at Marvel Pub. The cocktail or mixed drink selection at the hotels will be very limited.
These are the major hotels.
- Dalanzadgad Hotel
- Khaan Uul Hotel
- Gobi Sands
You can find smaller hotels around the city.
There are two daily buses to Ulaanbaatar at 08:00 and 16:00 (about 10hr, 22,900 ₮ (as of November 2015)). It leaves from the northern edge of town, next to the childrens park and is probably the fastest overland option. Porgons to Ulaanbaatar leave from the market and from Nomin supermarket.