Gobi or Govi is a region in Mongolia that covers the Gobi Desert in Mongolia.
- Altai is the capital of Govĭ-Altai province.
- Bayanhongor is home to the Govi Bear, sand dunes, and some nice oases.
- Dalanzadgad, quickly becoming the richest town in Mongolia, is a starting point for exploring the Red Hills.
- Mandalgovĭ is the capital of Dundgovĭ province.
- Sainshand is growing industrial city with a large monastery.
- Zamiin-Uud is the main border crossing with China, and a stop on the Trans-Mongolian Railway.
The Gobi Desert is the largest desert region in Asia and has long served as a buffer between the Mongolian steppe and China. The Great Wall of China follows the southern boundary of the desert. The desert's dry cold weather has made it one of the best places in the world for finding dinosaur bones.
It is possible to fly to Altai, Bayanhongor, and Dalanzadgad on one of the domestic airlines from Ulaanbaatar. Sainshand lies on the Trans-Mongolian Railway and can be reached by train. All parts of the region can be reached by bus from UB, however only Sainshand and Bayanhongor have paved roads connecting to the capital.