Destin is an upscale resort town in the Florida Panhandle.
Primary access to Destin is by private vehicle. It is on US 98 between Pensacola and Panama City. From IH-10 west, take IH-110 south through Gulf Breeze, merge with US 98, and follow US 98 along the coast through Fort Walton Beach. From IH-10 east, take FL 285 south through Eglin Air Force Base, make a left on FL 20 to go east, then a right to go south on Mid Bay Bridge.
The closest public airport is Okaloosa Regional Airport (VPS IATA) (Destin–Fort Walton Beach Airport). Car rental agencies are available at the airport, or offer a courtesy pickup service from the airport. There are 2 other nearby airports, Pensacola International Airport (PNS IATA), about 1 hr 20 mins away, and Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport (ECP IATA), about 1 hr away.
By public transit
Destin offers two public transits with limited availability but affordable prices. The transits are offered during the tourist season primarily and can be found at access points in the Crystal Beach shopping center and the Destin Commons.
- Coastal Shuttle Service, ☏ . 24. Airport shuttle service.
- Sexton Taxi, ☏ , . Airport shuttle service to all local airports. Taxi service throughout the area.
The beach, with its distinctive emerald green water, earning it the nickname of the Emerald Coast. Destin's enormous stretch of beach is spectacular, with some of the finest, whitest sand in the world. The sand is so soft it literally squeaks under foot. You will be spoiled forever after experiencing this.
- 1 Big Kahuna's, 1007 US Hwy 98 E, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 The Track Family Recreation Center.
- 3 Henderson Beach State Park, 17000 Emerald Coast Pkwy, ☏ . 8AM-sundown. $6/vehicle (2-8 people), $4/single occupant vehicle, $2/ pedestrians, bicyclists, extra passengers.
Destin is famous for its sugar white sand beach and emerald green water.
The area is renowned for its golfing opportunities. The climate is nearly ideal year-round.
- Ft. Walton Beach Golf Club, 1909 Lewis Turner Blvd., Ft. Walton Beach, ☏ . Public championship course. Pro shop, lighted driving range, club rentals and snack bar.
- Golf Garden of Destin, 112958 Highway 98 East, ☏ . Public lighted course and practice area.
- Regatta Bay Golf & Country Club, 465 Regatta Bay Blvd, ☏ . Public, championship course designed by Robert C. Walker.
- Seascape Resort & Conference Center, 100 Seascape Dr, ☏ . Public course with greens and driving range.
- Emerald Bay Golf Club, 4781 Clubhouse Drive, ☏ .
Deep Sea Fishing
- Adventure Charters, ☏ . Offers many charter options.
- Pelican Adventures, 210-F Hwy 98 East, ☏ .
- [dead link] One Mo'r Fishing Charter, 314 Harbor Blvd, ☏ . Deep Sea & Inshore Fishing Charters. Includes bottom fishing, trolling, and bay fishing.
- A Paradise Watersports, ☏ , . On Okaloosa island. Rents all kinds of boats and water gear.
- Boogies Water Sports, ☏ . At the foot of the bridge. Offers watercraft rentals and parasailing.
- [dead link] Destin Florida Charters, ☏ . Charters power and sail yachts.
- 1 Wet-n-Wild Watersports, 288 Harbor Blvd Unit D, ☏ , email@example.com. 8AM-6PM. Offers parasailing, pontoon boat rentals, crab island tours, etc. $.
- Dolphin Cruise, ☏ . At Harborwalk Marina. Offers various cruises including a dolphin cruise.
- Moody's, 194 Hwy. 98, ☏ . Sails the Emerald Magic and America II, available for charter.
- Destin Laser Tag and Blacklight Minigolf, ☏ .
- Pleasure Island Waterpark, Highway 98 in Fort Walton Beach, ☏ . Has go-karts, personal watercraft, pontoon boats, jet boats, parasailing, and refreshments.
- The Track, Highway 98 on the east side of town, ☏ . Has indoor go-karts, a kids recreation area, miniature golf, and bungee jumping.
- Gator Beach and Fat Daddy's Arcade, 20001 Emerald Coast Pkwy, ☏ . A small but intriguing alligator viewing exhibit. The complex also includes the Fat Daddy's Arcade, gift shop, and Fudpucker's Bar & Grill Free.
There are any number of places to eat both on and off the beach.
- The Back Porch, ☏ .
- Boathouse Oyster Bar, ☏ .
- Camellia Grill, w Harbor Blvd Suite 200, ☏ . Old style diner with New Orleans touches. A favorite in the Carrollton section of New Orleans for generations; now has a branch in Destin in the HarborWalk Village Mall.
- Captain Dave's on the Gulf, ☏ .
- Destin Chops, 320 Hwy. 98 E (on the second floor of the Destin Yacht Club), ☏ . Steakhouse.
- Dewey Destin's, 9 Calhoun Avenue.
- Fisherman's Wharf, 210-D Hwy 98 East, ☏ .
- Hog's Breath Saloon, 541 E. Hwy 98, ☏ .
- Fudpucker's Beachside Bar & Grill, 20001 Emerald Coast Pkwy, ☏ .
- Harbor Docks, 538 Highway 98, ☏ .
- Marina Café, 404 Hwy 98 East, ☏ .
- McGuires Irish Pub and Brewery, 33 E Highway 98, ☏ . Steaks and ale.
- Nightown, ☏ .
- [dead link] Ocean Club Restaurant, 8955 Hwy. 98 West,#107, Miramar Beach, ☏ . The grouper comes recommended!
- Yesterday's, ☏ .
- Vin'tij Wine Boutique (across the street from the Silver Sands Factory Stores). The wine list is extensive. The decor is an eclectic mix of local art and mosaics. The atmosphere is nice.
- Motel 6, 405 Highway 98 E, ☏ .
- Sleep Inn, 10775 Highway 98 E, ☏ .
- Shore Dreams Vacation Rentals, toll-free: . Pet-friendly condos, golf villas, and houses for all budgets
- Country Inn & Suites, 4415 Commons Dr E, ☏ .
- Holiday Inn, 1020 Highway 98 East, ☏ .
- Ramada Limited Destin, 39 Old Hwy 98 East, ☏ .
- Club Destin, 1085 Highway 98 E, ☏ .
| name=Inn on Destin Harbor | alt= | url=http://innondestinharbor.com | email= | address=402 Highway 98 E | lat= | long= | directions= | phone=+1 850-837-7326 | tollfree= | fax= | price= | checkin= | checkout= | content=
- Silver Shells Beach Resort and Spa, 15000 Emerald Coast Parkway, toll-free: . Beachfront condominium resort with Ruth Chris Steak House on site.
- Oversee, +1 888-290-3489. Over 160 vacation rentals to choose from.
- The Palms of Destin, 4201 Two Trees Rd, toll-free: . Beautiful Gulfside resort with pool, tennis courts, spa, and fitness center.
- Silver Beach Towers Resort, 1050 Highway 98, ☏ . Extraordinary beach front resort on the white sand Gulf Coast.
- Seascape Golf, Beach & Tennis Resort, 100 Seascape Drive, toll-free: . One, Two and Three bedroom rentals at Ariel Dunes, Ariel Dunes II, Majestic Sun and the Villas.
- Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa, 4000 Sandestin Blvd. A getaway for a Florida golf trip or a relaxing vacation. Top-notch accommodations, access to top-rated golf courses, upscale dining at Seagars, and relax at the Serenity by the Sea Spa.
- Ft. Pickens, part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore, is a nature preserve and a civil war-era fort and museum. Activities include fishing, camping, historical research, and tours. A 7-day pass is $8, and covers a private vehicle and all passengers. It's located on the far west end of Santa Rosa Island, about 45 minutes west on Highway 98, then take the CR-399 bridge south at Gulf Breeze, then follow CR-399 right.
- Fort Walton Beach is just to the West on Highway 98 on the other side of Okaloosa Island.
- Navarre Beach is a relatively unoccupied resort area on Santa Rosa Island. Head west on Highway 98 about 30 minutes, then take a left on Navarre Bridge. An excellent beach with shower facilities is available at the bridge intersection.
- Panama City Beach is an area more targeted to the younger crowd. It is a popular spring break destination. Head east on Highway 98 about an hour.