The first written reference of the location dates from 1314, more detailed information about the settlement are from 1380s when it belonged to the Orava castle.
Inter-city trains and busses arrive at the 1 main station.
- 1 Main city square. A small square where most of the historical buildings are found.
- 2 St. Catherine church. Gothic church built in the 14th century.
- 3 Čaplovič Library. Containis collection of newspapers, books, maps and other printed works from 15th to the 19th century, along with the P. O. Hviezdoslav Museum.
- 4 Orava Gallery (Seated in the former County House from the 17th century.). Focuses on the art works from the 15th century to the 20th century
Apart from few shops here-and-there, there is:
- 1 Shopping center.
1 Orava Castle (Oravský Hrad) (Situated few kilometres north-east of the town in the village Oravsky Podzamok, 112 meters over the sea level). The castle came into existence in 13th century and the first written record of the castle goes to the year 1267 when it was royal possession. It had multiple owners, such as Matúš Čák Trenčiansky, Stibor from Stiboríc, Thurzovci, or family of Palffy. In 1800, the castle burnt out and was destroyed significantly. The last and the most significant reconstruction of the castle was in the years 1953-1968.
The interior of building is from the time of Gothic, Renaissance, and romanticism.
Ruzomberok is nearby.