North America > Caribbean > Bahamas > Exuma
Exuma is a district of the Bahamas, consisting of over 360 islands (or cays). The largest of the cays, and the only one with any significant population, is Great Exuma, which is 37 mi (60 km) in length.
Many of the islands in the Exumas are privately owned. Only inhabited islands open to the public (or at least paying guests) are listed here.
- Great Exuma
- Fowl Cay
- Iguana Cay
- Musha Cay — super-exclusive resort that hosts only one group of up to 20 guests at a time
- Staniel Cay
The Exuma island chain is 130 mi (209 km) long. The northernmost islands are under an hour away from Nassau by speedboat and many tour operators offer day trips. Great Exuma has the only airport in the islands, which receives flights from Atlanta, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Nassau. This airport is approximately 10 mi (16 km) north of the main settlement of George Town. The other islands may be reached by charter or your own boat.
Great Exuma can be seen via car. The other islands are accessible only by tour charter or boat.
Note that Exuma - like all the Bahamas - drives on the left side of the road. Rental cars can typically be specified as left/right wheel configurations subject to availability.
Water Taxi To Stocking Island
Leaves twice daily from Peace and Plenty Restaurant in Georgetown Harbour to the neighboring Cay of Stocking Island.
- Saddleback Cay. A private island owned by Island World Adventures, which runs one-day trips from Nassau daily ($190/pp). The island has seven beaches, including the gorgeous Half Moon Beach, shallow reefs in the vicinity and a spot where giant nurse sharks gather daily to be fed.
- Thunderball Grotto, where the James Bond film Thunderball was filmed.
The Four Season's Hotel closed and is in process of conversion to a Sandal's Resort scheduled to open in late January 2010. It has an 18 hole golf course that may or may not be open to non-Sandal's guests in the future. The course was closed as of December 2009.
Stocking Island off George Town, Great Exuma has many trails including a nature walk setup by Peace & Plenty and Dive Exuma in 2000/1 with descriptions of many of the plants. Can climb Monument hill for a great panoramic view, or walk along the long beach on the ocean side. Over 10km of trails are marked and run all over the island. A map of the trails can be picked up at the tourist office in George Town.
- Chat and Chill, The Point, Stocking Island, Exuma (A water taxi is available from Great Exuma), ☏ . Wonderful local restaurant famous for its Garlic Coleslaw is an excellent place to have a beer and relax or have a nice beach side dinner.
- Thunderball Club on Staniel Cay
- Splash! Beach Bar & Grill, Palm Bay Beach Club (Great Exuma, Bahamas), ☏ . Famous Conch Chowder
- Celestine, firstname.lastname@example.org. Celestine, located on Great Exuma, Bahamas, is centrally located minutes from the airport, 7 miles from George Town, the Capital of the Exuma, and 5 miles from the Four Seasons Resort and Greg Norman Championship Golf Course. The 3 Bed 3.5 Bath villa was fully renovated in 2000. $7,000/week.
- Exuma Resorts (exuma resorts). The best resorts in Great Exuma Island, Bahamas
- Exuma Vacation Rentals (exuma vacation rentals). Luxury vacation rentals in Great Exuma Island, Bahamas
- Fowl Cay - Private Island Resort, ☏ , email@example.com. $7,945-$14,588/week.
- Oceania Heights, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Luxury, private villa vacation rentals with the best ocean views, in the heart of the Exumas. An exclusive gated community with a secluded beach and your very own swimming pool.
- Palm Bay Beach Club (email@example.com), Great Exuma, Bahamas (Just 7 miles from Georgetown Airport), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12 Noon. The resort has over 70 beachside cottages and hillside villas. There is a choice of studio, one bedroom, two bedroom and three bedroom villas all with either a full or partial kitchen. Located on Great Exuma island, the largest island of the 350 Exuma island chain, Palm Bay Beach Club hotel and resort is just seven miles from Exuma International Airport, one mile from the capital, George Town, and a short drive to the new Four Seasons Greg Norman Signature Golf Course (Course Closed with Four Season's Closing as of 12/2009).
- Staniel Cay Yacht Club, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. $145-$255.
The crossing from Nassau to the northern end of the Exumas is only 40 miles, but it's across open water and can get choppy if it's windy. Bring along a warm, ideally waterproof coat, and try to get a seat near the middle of the boat to minimize both bumpiness and sea spray.
There are nurse sharks and lemon sharks in the waters around the islands. They don't usually bother humans, but it's best to ask for local advice on where to swim — shallow water is usually fine.