Fairfield is a mid-size city that shares a metroplex with Suisun City. Travis Air Force Base, home of the 60th Air Mobility Wing, is located just to the east of Fairfield. C-5 Galaxy, C-17 Globemaster III cargo aircraft and KC-10 Extender refueling aircraft are common sights in the skies over the twin cities. Fairfield is located along Interstate 80, the main route between the Bay Area and Sacramento, about midway between the two.
The climate of Fairfield is typical of the Sacramento Delta, cool winters and hot, humid summers. Winter temperatures average 37º-65º F. Summer temperatures average 56º-89º F. As Fairfield is located near the Carquinez Straits, where wind from the San Francisco Bay is funneled through a narrow channel, Fairfield can experience strong winds.
- Fairfield is about half way between San Francisco (48 mi (77 km)) and Sacramento on I-80 (43 mi (69 km)). Fairfield is accessed from Exit 39 (Red Top Rd) through Exit 48 (Manuel Campos Pkwy, N Texas St) of I-80. Nearest BART stations to Fairfield are the El Cerritos Plaza Station, 34 mi (55 km) southwest, in El Cerrito (via Central Ave from Exit 14A of I-80) and the Concord Station, 32 mi (51 km) southwest, in Concord (via Concord Ave from Exit 52 of I-680).
- to in San Jose. I-680 serves as a (73 mi (117 km)) bypass around the East Bay cities, to San Jose via Fremont, from exit 40 of I-80 in Fairfield.
- Connects Napa (19.5 mi (31.4 km) west of Fairfield) to Lodi (47 mi (76 km) east of Fairfield), through Fairfield and I-5 (exit 485 of I-5). It runs concurrent with I-80 between exits 39B and 43 south of town. This serves as the most direct route for travelers coming from Stockton or anywhere further south on I-5/CA-99 to Fairfield or to the other North Bay Area cities (Richmond, Vallejo, Novato, Petaluma, etc).
- Sacramento International Airport (SMF IATA), 6900 Airport Blvd., Sacramento, ☏ . SMF in Sacramento is 50 miles northeast of Fairfield, about a 55-minute drive.
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO IATA), Intersection of S. McDonnell Rd and S. Link Rd., San Francisco, toll-free: . SFO in South San Francisco is 57 miles southwest of Fairfield, about a 1-hour drive.
- Oakland International Airport (OAK IATA), 1 Airport Drive, Oakland, ☏ . OAK, in Oakland is about 50 miles southwest of Fairfield, about a 55-minute drive.
- 1 Greyhound Lines, (bus stop) Suisun/Fairfield Amtrak Station @ 177 Main St, Suisun City (Bus stop(s) next to the old Suisun/Fairfield Train Depot, behind/next to Family Cookie Co (302 Spring St).). Nearest Greyhound station/stop is Suisun City/Fairfield. They travel along I-80 between San Francisco, Oakland, Vallejo, Suisun City, Sacramento, Colfax, Roseville, Tuckee and/or Reno. There are no Greyhound stops in Vacaville proper nor do they have buses routed through I-505. Therefore, passengers going up towards Portland (or towards Los Angeles ) will have to transfer in Sacramento.
- 2 Solano Express (STA), Fairfield Transportation Center @ 2000 Cadenasso Dr ((see linked website for additional stops)), ☏ . Operates express buses between Sacramento and the Walnut Creek BART via UC Davis, Dixon, Vacaville, Fairfield Transportation Center and Benicia on the Blue Line Route. From Suisun City/Fairfield Amtrak Station to Cerrito del Norte Plaza BART Station in El Cerrito via Fairfield Transportation Center on the Red and GX Lines. Difference between the two is that the Red Line bus makes an additional stop in Vallejo.
- 3 Amtrak Suisun/Fairfield Station (Station ID: SUI), 177 Main Street, Suisun City. M-F 5:45AM-7:30PM, Sa 8:40AM-noon, Su closed. Amtrak's Capitol Route services Fairfield/Suisun City. Note that there is no ticket office at this location although a Quik-Trak Self-Service Ticketing Kiosk is available. Station served by the Capitol Corridor on its way between San Jose (via Oakland and Emeryville) and Auburn (east of Sacramento). The Capitol Corridor serves as a commuter train and therefore, operates more frequently than the other trains. As this is an unmanned platform with a shelter, tickets (or passes) should be purchased beforehand online or over the phone to be presented to the conductor at boarding. Travelers can transfer to the San Joaquins or the California Zeyphyr trains in Sacramento or to the Coast Starlight in either Sacramento, Oakland or San Jose. Amtrak California operates a Thruway bus to San Francisco from Emeryville; from Martinez to Arcata; and from San Jose to Santa Cruz and Monterey on separate routes. . They also have an additional unmanned (platform) stop in 4 Fairfield/Vacaville Station at 4921 Vander Rd, 5.5 mi (8.9 km) south of Vacaville on Peabody Rd.
Fairfield is a sprawling city, and a car is recommended to travel anywhere.
- 1 Fairfield/Suisun Transit System (FAST Transit), Fairfield Transportation Center @ 2000 Cadenasso Dr, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 6:30AM-8:12PM, Sa 8:30AM-6:05PM, Su no service. Fairfield/Suisun Transit System provides local service between Fairfield and Suisun on eight routes. See 'By bus' under 'Get in' in above for links to Solano Express buses. Base local fare: Adult - $1.50, Senior and disabled - $0.75. Extended area fares vary. See System Map on website for details.
- 1 Anheuser-Busch Brewery Tour & Gift Shop, 3101 Busch Dr, ☏ . Take a tour of a real factory where your favorite Budweiser products are created, call to check for hours to see if they are open, two complimentary beers and free pretzels are offered
- 2 Grizzly Island Wildlife Area, 2548 Grizzly Island Road, Suisun City (take Grizzly Island Road south from SR12), ☏ . Hiking, fishing, hunting, and boating. Some areas are disabled accessible.
- 3 Hill Slough Wildlife Area, Grizzly Island Road, immediately south of SR 12, ☏ . 1,722 acres of salt tidal marsh, marshes, sloughs and upland grasses. Excellent areas for bird-watching.
- 4 Jelly Belly Factory tour, 1 Jelly Belly Ln, toll-free: . Daily from 9:15AM–4PM, except Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and Easter Sunday. Take a self-guided walking tour of the factory where Jelly Belly jelly beans are made. A highlight is the robotic stacking machine and portraits made of jelly beans. Also check out the factory store where "defective" jelly beans are sold as Belly Flops. The tour is very popular, so expect a wait, usually less than 30 minutes. Weekdays are best, because you get to see the factory in operation. Breakfast, lunch, and ice cream sold in the onsite Jelly Belly Café & Snack Bar ($10 breakfast, $15 lunch). Bus and RV parking available (daytime only). The walking tour, which is about a quarter-mile long, is accessible to wheelchair and stroller users. $7 adults, $3 children, babies free.
- 5 Rush Ranch, Grizzly Island Rd (2 miles south of Highway 12). 8AM-dusk. A working ranch that is kept as open space for the public. There are historic displays and hiking trails over the hills and marshes surrounding the ranch as well the opportunity to interact with the animals on the ranch. Free.
- 6 Scandia Family Center, 4300 Central Pl, ☏ . Fun park featuring mini-golf, an arcade, laser tag, go-karts and water bumper boats.
- 7 Travis Air Force Base Heritage Center, ☏ . Tu-Sa 10AM-5PM. The Travis Heritage Center has a variety of historic airlift aircraft on display, assorted exhibits pertaining to military operations, and a picnic area. There is also a gift shop. All adults 18 and over must have a valid photo ID and complete a background check before receiving a pass. Non-US citizens must coordinate their visit at least two weeks in advance. Tours of the base are offered to the public approximately twice a year, although it may be possible for groups, particularly ROTC, to arrange a tour (call the base at least 60 days in advance).
- Solano Town Center, 1350 Travis Boulevard, ☏ . The Solano Town Center mall hosts a Best Buy, JCPenney, Sears and Macy's department stores, and over 150 other mall shops and restaurants. Enjoy a night of dining and a movie in Fairfield at the Edwards Fairfield Stadium 16 IMAX movie theater. Shopping nearby, just east of I-80 at the Travis Blvd. exit.
- Mary's Pizza Shack, 1500 Oliver Rd, ☏ . Family-run chain offering Italian comfort-food staples, wine & beer, with a weekday happy hour.
- Texas Roadhouse, 3333 N Texas St, ☏ . Lively chain steakhouse serving American fare with a Southwestern spin amid Texas-themed decor.
- 1 Best Western Cordelia Inn, 4373 Central Pl, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: .
- 2 Courtyard Fairfield Napa Valley Area, 1350 Holiday Ln, ☏ , fax: .
- 3 Fairfield Inn & Suites Fairfield Napa Valley Area, 315 Pittman Rd, ☏ , fax: .
- 4 Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 316 Pittman Rd, ☏ .
- 5 Homewood Suites by Hilton, 4755 Business Center Dr, ☏ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: noon. An all suite hotel equipped with full kitchens and free wireless Internet. Complimentary amenities include a hot breakfast and a light dinner with beverages (Monday-Thursday).
- 6 Motel 6 Fairfield North, 1473 Holiday Ln, ☏ , fax: .
- Bay Area - San Francisco, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge
- Sacramento - Capitol of California, Old Town, Sutter's Fort, 45 minutes away
- Napa Valley - California's wine country, 45 minutes away
- Fairfield, Connecticut is a 44 hour drive via I-80 at a distance of 2,911 miles.
|Routes through Fairfield|
|Sacramento ← Davis ←||N S||→ Martinez → Emeryville|
|San Francisco ← Vallejo ← Jct S ←||W E||→ Vacaville → Sacramento|
|Santa Rosa ← Napa ←||W E||→ Jct N → Rio Vista → Lodi|