The Flint Hills is a region of Kansas.
The Flint Hills encompasses 13 Kansas counties (Butler, Chase, Chautauqua, Cowley, Elk, Geary, Greenwood, Lyon, Marshall, Morris, Pottawatomie, Riley, Wabaunsee) and smaller areas of 7 peripheral counties (Clay, Dickinson, Jackson, Marion, Ottawa, Saline, Shawnee). Some people are surprised to learn that such a large section of Kansas is so hilly, as much of the rest of the state is relatively flat.
- Abilene - boyhood home of former president and World War II General Dwight D. Eisenhower.
- Arkansas City
- Cottonwood Falls
- Council Grove
- El Dorado
- Junction City
- Manhattan - home to Kansas State University
- Strong City
Driving is the best way to get around in this region.
- Flint Hills Discovery Center, 315 S. Third Street, Manhattan, Kansas 66502, ☎ . 10:00 - 5:00, 8:00 Thursdays. Open 360 days a year - showcases the Flint Hills in an ultramodern $12 million museum in downtown Manhattan. $9.
- The Brookville Hotel, ☎ . 105 E. Lafayette Abilene, KS. Not a hotel, but a restaurant that only serves family style fried chicken dinners in an authentic recreation of the 1800s hotel in nearby Brookville, Kansas. Food is superb and reservations are recommended. Honored as one of the 8 Wonders of Kansas Cuisine.
- The Cozy Inn, 108 N. 7th St, ☎ . Salina KS. Small restaurant that serves small burgers, similar to those made by White Castle. Better get carry-out; these burgers are piled high with onions and if you eat in, you'll smell like onion all day. Honored as one of the 8 Wonders of Kansas Cuisine.
Kansas is a part of Tornado Alley. If you are traveling in this region, it's a good idea to brush up on Tornado safety.