Frontier Country is a region in central Oklahoma that consists of the 12 central counties of Oklahoma. It includes Canadian, Cleveland, Grady, Hughes, Lincoln, Logan, McClain, Okfuskee, Oklahoma, Payne, Pottawatomie, and Seminole counties.
The central region got its name from the pioneering spirit of its settlers and the enduring resilience of its natives. From boomtowns, land runs, Western and Native American history, Frontier Country encompasses the grandeur of Oklahoma and the Old West.
Today Frontier Country is the hub of Route 66 sights, Chisholm Trail crossings, Western to contemporary art, agritourism activities, and family-friendly events and attractions.
- Chandler - Historic Route 66 town
- Choctaw - Home of Oktoberfest Sep. 3-6, 2008
- Chickasha - Home of the Festival of Light Nov. 25- Dec. 31, 2008
- Davenport - Historic Route 66 town
- El Reno - Home of the Fried Onion Burger Day Festival May 3, 2008
- Edmond - Historic Route 66 town
- Guthrie - Bed and Breakfast Capital of Oklahoma
- Midwest City - Home to the Star Spangled Salute air show May 24, 2008
- Mustang - Home of Western Days Sep. 5-6, 2008
- Norman - Home of the University of Oklahoma.
- Okemah - Home of Woodie Guthrie
- Oklahoma City - The state capital of Oklahoma.
- Piedmont - Historic Chisholm Trail town
- Prague - Home of the Prague Kolache Festival May 3, 2008
- Rush Springs - Home of the Rush Springs Watermelon Festival Aug. 9, 2008
- Shawnee - Home to championship golf courses and distinguished museums
- Seminole - Home to the Jasmine Moran Children's Museum
- Stillwater - Home of Oklahoma State University.
- Stroud - Historic Route 66 town and Grape & Wine Capitol of Oklahoma
- Tuttle - Home of Tiger Safari Interactive Zoological Park.
- Wewoka - Home of the "Sorghum Festival" Oct. 25, 2008
- Yukon - Where Route 66 and the Chisholm Trail intersect.
- Tiger Safari in Tuttle
- ASA National Softball Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City
- Edward L. Gaylord - Boone Pickens Oklahoma Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City
- Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art in Norman
- Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History in Norman
- Harn Homestead Museum in Oklahoma City
- International Photography Hall of Fame & Museum in Oklahoma City
- Myriad Botanical Gardens in Oklahoma City
- National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City
- Ninety-Nines Museum of Women Pilots in Oklahoma City
- Oklahoma City Museum of Art in Oklahoma City
- Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum in Oklahoma City
- Oklahoma History Center in Oklahoma City
- Oklahoma Railway Museum in Oklahoma City
- Red Earth Museum in Oklahoma City
- Science Museum Oklahoma.
- Stockyards City in Oklahoma City
- Fort Reno in El Reno
- Jasmine Moran Children's Museum in Seminole
- Mabee-Gerrer Museum of Art in Shawnee
- National Four-String Banjo Hall of Fame Museum in Guthrie
- Theatre and other performing arts in Oklahoma City
- Fairgrounds or outdoor arenas like Heart of Oklahoma Shawnee Expo Center in Shawnee and Lazy E Arena in Guthrie
Oklahoma City has a wide range of activities.
- Red Earth Native American Cultural Festival (Jun 6, 2008-Jun 8, 2008), Cox Convention Center, Oklahoma City, ☎ .
Frontier Country Wineries
There are several wineries offering tours and tastings:
- Grape Ranch Winery in Okemah
- Stableridge Vineyards and Winery in Stroud