Gainesville is a city in Georgia's Historic High Country. The city of Gainesville is one of the larger cities in the Historic High Country along with Rome (Georgia) both with populations around 30,000. The city is located in Hall County (Georgia) in the Central High Country. The city is nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and is close to the shores of Lake Lanier and less than an hour's drive to downtown Atlanta. Gainesville is home to an Amtrak station.
Gainesville is where the big city merges with small farming communities. It is home to a racially diverse population with 45.21% White, 33.17% Latino, and 15.73% African American. It is a transportation hub for the surrounding communities so it's a great base. In-between Atlanta and the country side and many small tourist towns it would be easy to overlook the several reasons to stay in Gainesville.
Lee Gilmer Memorial Airport has two runways and is used mainly for private and corporate charter flights.
The closet international airport is Atlanta's Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
There is an Amtrak train station located at 116 Industrial Boulevard Gainesville, GA 30501.
From Atlanta, GA Approximately 1 hr.
Take I-85 North. At exit 113 I-85 forks. The right fork, I-85, continues to Greenville, SC. Stay left and take I-985 to Gainesville.
From Greenville, SC Approximately 2 hrs.
Take I-85 South. Take exit 137 for US-129/GA-11 toward Gainesville/Jefferson.
From Athens, GA Approximately 1 hr.
Take GA-15 Alt N/US-129 out of Athens and follow until entering Gainesville.
There is a Greyhound bus station located at 1780 Martion Luther King Jr. Blvd Gainesville, GA 30501.
A car is most convenient for getting around town.
Gainesville Connection is the bus service for Gainesville. It operates six lines. Fares are $1 with free transfers within the hour.
- Gainesville Ballet Company, 615 Oak Street, Suite 1100 Gainesville, GA 30501-3507, ☏ . Performances usually take place at Brenau University's Pearce Auditorium. Located at 1 Centennial Circle, Gainesville, GA.
- Smithgall Arts Center, 331 Spring St SW Gainesville, GA 30501-3747, ☏ . The Smithgall Arts Center is home to live music performances and a permanent art gallery. Most live music performances $30..
- Elachee Nature Science Center, 2125 Elachee Drive Gainesville, GA 30504-7158, ☏ . Visitor's Center and Museum: Monday - Saturday 10AM- 5PM, Hiking Trails:Hours: 8AM - Dusk. The Elachee Nature Center works closely with local schools in environmental education. Also open to the public there is a gift shop, museum, and 13 miles of hiking trails and mountain bike trails. Visitors Center and Museum: Adults: $5 Children 2-12: $3 Under age 2: Free.
- [formerly dead link] Lakeshore Mall, 150 Pearl Nix Parkway Gainesville, GA 30501-3563, ☏ . Sunday: noon-6PM Mon–Wed: 10AM-9PM Thu–Fri: 10AM-6PM Saturday: 10AM-9PM.
- Rhythm & Brews, 118 Bradford St., Gainesville, GA, 30501, ☏ .
- The Monkey Barrel, 115 Washington St SE, Gainesville, GA 30501, ☏ .
- Luna's, 200 Main St SW, Gainesville, GA 30501, ☏ .
- [dead link] Holiday Inn Lanier Center, 400 E.E. Butler Parkway, Gainesville, GA 30501, ☏ , toll-free: . Number of Rooms: 122, Restaurant, Bar, Fitness Center
|Routes through Gainesville|
|Charlotte ← Clemson ←||N SW||→ Atlanta → New Orleans|
|Asheville ← Clayton ←||N S||→ Buford → Atlanta|
|Knoxville ← Blairsville ←||N S||→ Jct → Athens → Macon|