Dahlonega is in Georgia's Historic High Country. It was the site of a major gold rush, claimed the first in the US by local citizens. Gold mining continues to be an important part of cultural identity of Dahlonega and several mines remain open as tourists attractions. It is also home to the University of North Georgia.
From Atlanta, GA Approximately 1 1/4 hrs.
GA 400/US 19 North from Atlanta until end GA 400 ends. Left onto GA 60 after 5.5 miles GA 60 runs through the Dahlonega square.
From Athens, GA Approximately 1 3/4 hrs.
US 129/GA 15 Atl North from Athens, GA near Jefferson GA 15 Atl turn towards Commerce, GA and US 129 is joined by GA 11. In downtown Gainesville, GA US 129 turns off and heads north to Cleveland, GA. Continue to follow GA 11 called Ee Butler Parkway til it merges with GA 60 called Greene Street. GA 60 and GA 11 soon spilt Stay left onto GA 60 called Thompson Bridge Rd. 20 miles later GA 60 runs through the Dahlonega square.
From Chattanooga, TN Approximately 110 miles - 3 hrs.
I-75 South. Go South on I-75 to Dalton, GA. Take Hwy. 76 to Ellijay. From Ellijay continue south on Hwy. 52 to Dahlonega.
From Birmingham, AL Approximately 3 1/2 hrs.
I-20 E take I-20 East to Atlanta, then I-285 by-pass north toward Chattanooga. Take GA 400 North to the end. Left onto GA 60 after 5.5 miles GA 60 runs through the Dahlonega square.
Having a car would be best because there are many sites that are spread out, but central Dahlonega, along the downtown square, is navigable by foot.
Lumpkin County Transit operates with just two buses and offers door-to-door transportation on a first-come, first-served basis by appointment. "Nominal fees" are based on mileage. It's operated by Lumpkin County’s Emergency Services Department. For details call 706-864-6900.
- Consolidated Gold Mine, 185 Consolidated Gold Mine Rd (near Wal-Mart), ☎ . At the Consolidated Gold Mine a tour takes you underground into the mine to see what working conditions were like beneath Dahlonega during the gold rush. The tour shows the original cart rails, electrical lines and even an operational pneumatic drill. The tour also include an opportunity to pan for gold. $11/7 for adults/children. Under 3 get in free.
- Grisson's Gold Mine, 2736 Morrison Moore Parkway East, Dahlonega, GA 30533, ☎ . At Grisson's Gold Mine there is one of the only press mines remaining and gold can be panned here.
- 1 Dahlonega Gold Museum, 1 Public Square, ☎ . Monday-Saturday 9AM-5PM; Sunday 10AM-5PM. The Dahlonega Gold Museum is located in the center of the historic square in the old courthouse of Dahlonega. $3.50-$5.00.
- University of North Georgia, 82 College Circle, ☎ . The state's first coeducational college, and also historically The Military College of Georgia, offers many things for a traveler to see. Price Memorial Hall is the gold topped landmark of the campus built on the foundations of the old National Mint.
- Humming Bird Art Gallery, 100 North Public Square Dahlonega, Georgia 30533, ☎ . Mon-Sat: 10AM - 6PM Sun:11AM - 6PM. This 4,000 sq ft gallery is located on the top floor of Hall's Block right on the square of downtown Dahlonega.
- Yahoola Creek Park, Mechanicsville Rd (Turn onto Mechanicsville Rd from Morrison Moore Parkway. Yahoola Creek Park is located at the end of the road.). Yahoola Creek Park is home to baseball, softball, and soccer fields. It also has tennis courts. Besides basic park fixtures there is a community garden and 2 miles of hiking/walking trails.
- Chestatee Wildlife Preserve & Zoo, 469 Old Dahlonega Highway. Open 9:00a.m. to 4:00p.m. Daily. Adult (age 12 and older) $10.00 Children (age 11 and under) $5.00.
- Gold Rush Days. festival is held the third weekend in October. Thousands of people fill the town to celebrate the discovery of gold in Dahlonega. Voted one of the Top 20 Events in the southeast by the Southeast Tourism Society. More info.
- Bear on the Square. Bear on the Square is a country and folk music festival held each year in mid-April.
- [dead link] Hemlock Festival. is a music festival held each year in early November. The festival is held to raise awareness and funds for defending the Hemlock's from attack by the woolly adelgid. $5-$40.
- The Mountain Flower Art Festival. The Mountain Flower Art Festival is scheduled for the 3rd week in May on Saturday & Sunday, from 10AM - 5PM.
- Gustavo's Pizzeria, 16 Public Square South, ☎ . Literally a hole in the wall this pizzeria has the best quality pizza for really cheap. A slice of the kitchen sink(ultimate) is only $3.50 and it's huge. The garlic rolls are also amazing.
- The Smith House, 84 South Chestatee Street, ☎ . A traditional shared table, with rich southern food. Excellent quality and a unique experience but comes with a higher price tag.
Dahlonega has several wineries.
- Frogtown Cellars, 700 Ridge Point Dr, ☎ . M-S 12-5; Sat 12-6; Sun 12:30-5:00. Winery has hilltop views of surrounding vineyards and mountains.
- Three Sisters Vineyards, 439 Vineyard Way, ☎ . Dahlonega's first family farm winery. Property is behind Frogtown Cellars.
- Wolf Mountain Vineyards and Winery, 180 Wolf Mountain Trl (Off highway 19, north of Dahlonega), ☎ . Outstanding Sunday brunch.
For coffee, food, and live music, head over to The Crimson Moon, just off the square.
- Cedar House Inn and Yurts, 6463 Hwy 19 North, ☎ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Eco friendly bed and breakfast in the North Georgia mountains and wine country. Adults only. Full vegetarian breakfast each morning, vegan with advance notice.
- Lily Creek Lodge, 2608 Auraria Road, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
|Routes through Dahlonega|
|Asheville ← Blairsville ←||N S||→ Alpharetta → Atlanta|