Girona is a province in Catalonia, Spain.
Girona province is usually divided into 3 tourist regions:
|Costa Brava (Blanes, Figueres, Lloret de Mar, Tossa de Mar)|
Rocky cliffs and a mix of pebble beaches and sandy beaches plus Figueres, home town of Salvador Dalí.
|Girona city |
Nice old town with an impressive Jewish quarter.
|Girona Pyrenees (Besalú, Castellfollit de la Roca)|
Monumental mountain towns, ski resorts and la Garrotxa volcanoes.
- 1 Girona — nice old town with an impressive Jewish quarter
- 2 Besalú — a very old town to the west of Figueres that has a historic bridge
- 3 Blanes — southernmost resort with two botanical gardens
- 4 Cadaqués — a nice seaside town that also houses one of Dalí's homes
- 5 Cantallops — a compact mountain town with two wineries and some good restaurants
- 6 Castellfollit de la Roca — further west than Besalú, but worth the trip as it's a striking town perched along a narrow sliver of rock jutting out in to a canyon
- 7 Figueres — home to the Dalí museum
- 8 Lloret de Mar — a beach resort with a reputation for its nightlife
- 9 Peratallada — medieval town close to Girona
- 10 Torroella de Montgrí — a pleasant old town that was once the capital of the Empúries kingdom. Now it sits at the base of a mountain that goes up to a castle. A good day hike for those inclined
Girona province regional transport hub is Girona city with Girona/Costa Brava international airport and high speed train connection to Barcelona and Paris in France.
See Girona#Get_in for more detailed information.
- The old city and walls of Girona
- Beaches, coves and traditional fishing villages on the Costa Brava coast.
- Botanical gardens in Blanes.
- The Dali Museum in Figueres.
- Old towns on the Girona Pyrenees
- La Fageda d'en Jordà Fagus sylvatica forest natural park and Santa Margarida volcano near Olot
There are many restaurants in Girona, including El Celler de Can Roca, which has 3 Michelin stars and is considered by many the best restaurant in the world. Two other important restaurants in Girona province are Les cols in Olot and Miramar in Llançà, both of which have 2 Michelin stars.
The Costa Brava region also has some renowned restaurants, including Miramar in Llançà with 2 Michelin stars, and la Llar in Empuriabrava and Els Brancs in Roses, with one star each. You can also find plenty of touristic restaurants with seafood and paella and traditional restaurants with Catalan cuisine in all the towns and cities.
Girona Pyrenees region has some Michelin-starred restaurants such as les Cols (2 stars) and Ca l'Enric (1 star) in Olot and Fonda Xesc (1 star) in Combrèn. Most restaurants in this touristic region serve traditional Catalan cuisine.