Glen Ellyn is a village in the Chicagoland area. This village has an interesting history filled with its ups and downs. However, today Glen Ellyn remains an affluent Chicago suburb with an abundance of historic sites and an exceptional dining scene.
The PACE bus system provides transportation to neighboring towns such as Lombard and Wheaton. However, the village is compact enough that on foot is the best way to go.
- Stacey's Tavern, 557 Geneva Road. a historic carriage stop, located in the village. This is a working museum that shows what life would have been like in the time of its operation. Nearby is a museum that shows the history of the Village of Glen Ellyn.
- Lake Ellyn, 645 Lenox Road. a lake near the downtown area. A remnant of the once thriving health resort that Glen Ellyn was in the 1890s. Lake Ellyn is an amazing place to relax and maybe even catch a "fish"!
- Glen Theatre, 540 Crescent Blvd. A quaint movie theatre in the center of Glen Ellyn, with the most popular current flicks and maybe one or two indie films.
- Taste of Glen Ellyn: 14-17 May 2015 . village-wide extravaganza with booths of craft vendors, a stage with rotating singing acts, booths from several area restaurants, and many other vendors. The major attraction though is arguably the carnival which visits once a year. (date needs updating)
The Central Business District of Glen Ellyn has many specialty stores to suit all types of people. In addition, there is a strong retail and commercial presence on Roosevelt Rd.
- Farmer's Market. every Friday from spring until fall. Many different farmers offer their farm fresh produce, flowers, and baked goods.
It is Glen Ellyn's restaurant scene that is the true star of downtown. The Central Business District features numerous award-winning restaurants.
- Cab's, 430 North Main Stree, ☎ .
- Bistro Monet, 462 North Park Boulevard, ☎ . French
- Shannon's Irish Pub, 428 North Main Street, ☎ .
- Marinella's, 548 Duane Street, ☎ . Italian
- Barone's, 475 Pennsylvania Avenue, ☎ . Pizza
- Thipi Thai, 530 Crescent Boulevard, ☎ .
- Santa Fe, 426 North Main Street, ☎ . Mexican
- Flour Barrel Bakery, 483 North Main Street, ☎ . renowned for their big yellow smiley face cookies. These cookies are VERY popular to people of all ages and a staple of many Glen Ellyners' diets.
- Heaven-Lee Chicago Hot Dogs. Lee Ebersole's hot dogs cart
Nightlife in Glen Ellyn is mostly concentrated south of the railroad tracks, downtown, on Main Street. Here, most of the restaurants, namely, Shannon's, Santa Fe, and Cab's, feature a full-service bar. The thing that separates Cab's from the rest, though is its classy atmosphere and its obvious focus on Wine. For a more hardcore "bar" environment visit Curley's, downtown, across from the fire station.
Lodging in Glen Ellyn is limited featuring a Roadway Inn and an America's Best Inn, with one notable exception. The recently opened Crowne Plaza on the far east side of the village along the border with neighboring Lombard provides Glen Ellyn its first luxury hotel since the legendary Glen Ellyn Hotel health resort burned down in the late 1800s.
- Crowne Plaza Glen Ellyn-Lombard, 1250 Roosevelt Road, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Indulge in luxury lodging at the Crowne Plaza Glen Ellyn-Lombard, an upscale Glen Ellyn, Illinois hotel near downtown Chicago that treats business and leisure travelers to well-appointed guestrooms and suites, indoor swimming pool, onsite restaurant, 24-hour business center, complimentary high-speed Internet access and value hotel packages.
A 40 minute train ride is all that separates Glen Ellyn from a truly cultural experience found in The Windy City. Chicago is truly a world-class city and should not be missed.
If you enjoy a more small town atmosphere, visit Galena, Illinois. Galena is an old mining town local to the mighty Mississippi River, that features a charming downtown shopping district with many quaint shops and charming eateries. It is about a 2 hour drive away.
|Routes through Glen Ellyn|
|Schaumburg via ← Itasca ←||N S||→ Downers Grove → Bolingbrook|
|Dixon ← DeKalb ←||W E||→ Lombard → Hillside|
|Schaumburg ← Lombard ←||N S||→ Lisle → Joliet|