Glenview is a town of some 45,000 people in suburban Cook County, Illinois, part of the Chicagoland area. Once home to the Glenview Naval Air Station, the 1,121-acre facility was turned over to the local government and was redeveloped as The Glen, one of Glenview's prime residential and commercial areas.
Glenview is accessible by PACE, Metra (Milwaukee District/North line), Amtrak (Hiawatha and Empire Builder lines) and the Edens Expressway (I-94).
- The Grove National Historic Landmark, 1421 Milwaukee Ave, ☎ . M-F 8AM-4:30PM, Sa-Su 9AM-5PM. The Grove was the home of horticulturalist Dr. John Kennicott, who moved with here with his family in 1836, and of his son Robert Kennicott, a naturalist whose explorations helped lead to the Alaska purchase. The Kennicotts' 1856 house is here, as are recreations of a Potowatomi longhouse, a log cabin and a one-room schoolhouse. Nature trails lead through oak forests and wetland pools; an interpretive center features a miniature zoo with fish, amphibians, reptiles and birds.
- Kohl Children’s Museum of Greater Chicago, 2100 Patriot Blvd, ☎ . M 9:30AM-noon, Tu-Sa 9:30AM-5PM, Su noon-5PM. A "hands-on learning laboratory" for children 0-8. Founded in Wilmette in 1985, it moved to its current location in The Glen in 2005. Children and adults $8.50, seniors (55+) $7.50.
- Wagner Farm, 1510 Wagner Rd, ☎ . M-Sa 9AM-5PM, Su 9AM-3PM. A working farm from 1902 until 1997, these 19 acres are now a farm museum demonstrating farm techniques from the 1920s-50s. Features dairy cows, draft horses, poultry etc. Free.
- Chicago Harley Davidson.
- The Sybaris
- In addition to its extensive Park District, the Village's east and west sides are bordered by the Cook County Forest Preserves. The western Preserves contain the Des Plaines River and a gravel bike path. The eastern Preserves contain the North Branch Chicago River, North Branch Bike Trail (paved) and horse riding trails and stables.
Glenview's Downtown district is located on Glenview Road, between Harlem and Waukegan roads, and is home to many shops and restaurants. The Glen Town Center is an outdoor mall containing a movie theater, shops, and restaurants, located on Patriot blvd. between West Lake and Chestnut. The Glenview Chamber of Commerce has a listing of the businesses located in Glenview.
- Hackney's, 1241 Harms Rd; 1514 E Lake Ave, ☎ , . There are six Hackney's restaurants in Chicagoland, but the original two are both in Glenview--both of which opened as speakeasies in the 1920s. They all feature the Hackneyburger and an old-time neighborhood feel.
- Walker Bros. Original Pancake House, 1615 Waukegan Rd, ☎ . 6:30AM-9PM daily. A breakfast favorite since 1981. The second link in a popular local chain.
Glenview House, Grandpa's Place, Meier's Tavern, Ten Ninety Brewing Co., Macushla Brewing Co., Flight
- Courtyard Chicago Glenview, 1801 Milwaukee Ave, ☎ , fax: .
- Fairfield Inn Chicago Glenview, 4514 W Lake Ave, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: .
- Motel 6 Chicago North - Glenview, 1535 Milwaukee Ave, ☎ , fax: .
- Staybridge Suites, 2600 Lehigh Ave, ☎ .
- Wyndham Glenview Suites, 1400 Milwaukee Ave, ☎ . Near the O'Hare International airport, this full service Glenview hotel offers complimentary wireless Internet access, on-site fitness center, and heated indoor pool and whirlpool. All rooms include a 32" plasma flat-screen TV, a wet bar, microwave, and refrigerator.
|Routes through Glenview|
|St. Paul ← Milwaukee ←||W E||→ Chicago → END|
|Milwaukee ← Sturtevant ←||N S||→ Chicago → END|
|Milwaukee via ← Northbrook ←||N S||→ Des Plaines → Gary|
|Fox Lake ← Northbrook ←||NW SE||→ Morton Grove → Chicago|