Des Plaines is in Chicagoland.
Des Plaines is served by two stations on Metra's Union Pacific Northwest Line: 1 Des Plaines and 2 Cumberland. Frequent service (as well as some express trains) between 6:40am and 1:15am during the week, with less frequent service on weekends.
The nearest airport is O'Hare International Airport. The Chicago Executive Airport is another option. Directly from O'Hare, you can take the 250 Pace bus to many parts of Des Plaines including downtown.
The combination of superior air transportation, good railroads, and a network of expressways continues to foster full development of Des Plaines. Bus, rail commuter, and taxis services are all accessible to and from Des Plaines.
The Metra Train Service provides Des Plaines commuter train service to downtown Chicago. The Union Pacific Northwest Line is the Primary route that goes through Des Plaines.
Bus service is provided by Pace Bus Service.
- 1 Kinder House Museum, 781 Pearson Street (Pearson & E Prairie Ave), ☎ . Tu-F 10am-5pm, Su 1-4pm. Benjamin F. Kinder, owner of a hardware store, built a house in 1907. The Kinder family lived here until the 1960s, and the house was already viewed as a historical building of Des Plaines by 1969. The significance of the Kinder House comes from its past inhabitants and architectural style. Benjamin Kinder was the owner of one of the city’s longest-standing businesses, and his son George served as Des Plaines’ third mayor.
- 2 Lake Opeka. Scenic Lake Opeka, along Touhy Ave near O'Hare Airport.
- 3 Maine North High School Bldg, 9511 Harrison St (Harrison St & Holly Ln). The building was once Maine North High School which shut down as a high school in 1981 as surplus when the population did not grow as high as anticipated 10-15 years earlier. After its closing, the school building served in the filming of the 1985 movie The Breakfast Club, during the spring of 1984. In 1986, the interior of the building was also used in the filming of Ferris Bueller's Day Off while the exterior shots took place at Glenbrook North High School. Currently the building serves as a district headquarters for the Illinois State Police, Cook County 911 Dispatch Center, Illinois Lottery and offices for other state agencies. The only remainder of the filming is a plaque inside the building, downstairs.
- Des Plaines River Trail. Being in Des Plaines gives you access to this recreational multiuse trail that follows the course of the Des Plaines River all the way up to Wisconsin.
- Rivers Casino, 3000 S River Rd, ☎ , toll-free: .
- 1 Boston Fish Market, 1225 E. Forest Ave, ☎ . 8AM-8PM M-Sa. Legendary seafood restaurant hidden away on a dead end street. If you come on a nice summer evening, be prepared to wait up to an hour. Even in bad weather, wait time can be around 20 minutes. $15-$30.
- Dotombori, 1526 Miner St (at River Rd), ☎ . M-F 11:30AM-2:30PM, 5PM-9:30PM, Sa-Su 5PM-10:30PM. A little pricey, but happy hour is between 5PM-6PM, and sushi is half-price.
- Giacomo's, 740 N Wolf Rd (just north of Central), ☎ . Tu-F 11AM-10PM, Sa-Su 4PM-11PM. Family-owned. Has great Italian-American food.
- Dung Gia - Annam, 1436 Miner St, ☎ . Authentic Vietnamese cuisine. Lunch specials: $6.95-7.95; soups: $7.95-11.95, salads: $8.95; rice dishes: $7.25-11.95; other prices on the menu are similar.
- 2 Paradise Pup, 1724 S River Rd, ☎ . 11AM-5PM M-Sa. Featured on Guy Fieri's show, this burger joint attracts a lot of people so be prepared to wait in line.
- Miner Street Tavern, 1492 Miner St (downtown Des Plaines next to the Sugar Bowl and across from the Metra Stop), ☎ . Su-W varies but usually open until 2AM. Th-Sa open until 4AM. Neighborhood bar full of locals. Occasional theme parties that are too hilarious too miss. Cheap drinks and daily specials. Small, narrow, and dark. Dart board and juke box make for a good time. Under $10.
- Comfort Inn O'Hare, 2175 E Touhy Ave, ☎ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. On-site restaurant, free breakfast, free 24-hour O’Hare airport shuttle, fitness room, and free Wi-Fi. About two miles from the airport. Rooms from $90.
- Wyndham Chicago O'Hare, 1450 E Touhy Ave, ☎ . About 1.5 miles from the airport. Rooms from $105.
- Courtyard Chicago O'Hare, 2950 S River Rd, ☎ . About 4 miles from Chicago O'Hare airport. Hotel offers complimentary shuttle service to the airport, on-site restaurant, indoor pool, fitness center and meeting space.
- 1 Des Plaines Public Library, 1501 Ellinwood St (Next to Metra station). M-F 9AM-9PM, Sa 9AM-5PM, Su 1PM-5PM.
|Routes through Des Plaines|
|Rockford ← Arlington Heights ←||W E||→ Rosemont → Chicago|
|Milwaukee ← Glenview ←||N S||→ Park Ridge → Gary|
|Lake Geneva ← Mount Prospect ←||W E||→ Rosemont → Chicago|
|Harvard ← Mount Prospect ←||W E||→ Park Ridge → Chicago|
|Milwaukee ← Mount Prospect ←||N S||→ Rosemont → Tinley Park|
|Ends at ← Elk Grove Village ←||W E||→ Park Ridge → Ends at|
|Harvard ← Mount Prospect ←||NW SE||→ Park Ridge → Chicago|