- For other places with the same name, see Gloucester (disambiguation).
Glocester is in Providence County.
Glocester contains the villages of Chepachet and Harmony.
By car Route 44 (Putnam Pike) will take you through a large portion of Glocester and will lead you to the heart of Chepachet, the historical town that resides here. From I-95N take 295N to exit 7B onto Route 44W. Follow Route 44W through Smithfield, once you have passed Powder Mill Creamery (on your right) you have crossed into Glocester. Continue to follow Route 44W for several miles, once you reach the first and only traffic light you are located in the center of Chepachet. If you decide to follow Route 44W through the rest of Glocester you will reach Putnam Connecticut within 10 miles.
Driving by car is the best way to get around Glocester, especially if you are seeking out access to hiking trails, fishing areas and boat ramps, and swimming areas since some of these attractions are not located along the main route (Route 44; Putnam Pike). The historical town of Chepachet is easily accessible by foot. You can walk across the town in less than an hour.
- Pulaski Memorial State Park, 151 Pulaski Road (Pulaski Road is located of off Route 44 just before the Connecticut state line.), ☏ . Open daily from sunrise to sunset. The recreation park is 100 acres and part of the 4000 acres that makes up the George Washington Management Area. The park offers something for everyone including hiking trails, picnicking areas, fishing or swimming in Peck Pond which is one of the best places to enjoy a swim in the area. The park has bathrooms and offers a pavilion however reservations are required for its use. Hunting is allowed during open seasons so orange is a must while enjoying a stroll through the miles of trails that run through the protected area. No entrance fees.
- Echo Lake (Pascoag Reservoir), Jackson Schoolhouse Road (Follow Route 44W from the center of Chepachet and take a right onto Jackson Schoolhouse Road. You will cross over a very narrow bridge; once you have, take the first right onto a dirt road and the boat ramp will be located on your right.). Open daily from sunrise to sunset. Echo Lake is one of the largest lakes in Glocester and one of the most popular for boating. The boat ramp is easily accessible and the area also provides plenty of onshore fishing spots. Swimming in this area is not recommended. No fees.
- Heritage Park, Chestnut Oak Road (Take Route 44E from the center of Chepachet and take a right on to Chestnut Oak Road. Take your first left into the parking area.). Open daily from sunrise to sunset. Heritage Park offers hiking trails that are great for children and short in length. The longest trail is about 1 1/2 miles and along it you will find picnic tables, a play area and a Shepard's hut. No Fees.
- Town Pound, Corner of Pound Road and Chopmist Hill Road (Route 102S). This historical stone enclosure was built in 1749 and is the oldest pound that still stands in all of America. Originally build to contain stray livestock the site has been preserved and protected.
- Melody Hill Country Club, 55 Melody Hill Road (Take Route 44E towards Smithfield and take a right onto Saw Mill Road. Melody Hill Road will be the first road on your right.), ☏ . Mo-Fr 6:30AM-5PM, Sa-Su 6AM-6PM. Walk 18 hole on weekdays for $27 and weekends for $31.
- Ancient and Horrible's Parade, Main Street, Chepachet (Money Hill Road to Putnam Pike). The parade began in 1926 and has been an annual event ever since. It is held each year on the 4th of July at 4PM.
- Brown and Hopkins Country Store, 1179 Putnam Pike, ☏ . Mon.-Sat. 10:00am-5:00pm and Sun. 11:00am-5:00pm. Brown and Hopkins has been in business since 1809 and is America's oldest country store in continuous operation. The store offers a variety of country gifts and furnishings and no one can resist its traditional penny candy counter.
- Glocester Greens and Goats, 1535 Snake Hill Road (From route 44 take 102S to the first traffic light and take a left onto Snake Hill Road.), ☏ . Thurs.-Sat. 9:00am-5:00pm. The gift shop offers homemade goat milk soap and skin products and an assortment of unique gift ideas.
- Holidaze Stained Glass, 712 Putnam Pike, ☏ . Tue.-Thur. 10:00am-8:00pm, Fri. noon-4:00pm and Sat. 10:00am-12:30pm. Nancy Kay Chase has been in business since 1985 and provides beautiful stained glasses pieces of all varieties. She also provides classes at her studio and will make custom pieces to satisfy her customers taste.
- No Place Like Home, 6 Money Hill Rd, ☏ . Wed.-Sat. 10:00am-6:00pm, Thur. open till 8:00pm, Sun. 12:00pm-5:00pm. This great gift shops offers a variety of gift ideas, antiques and unique treasures and is continuously changing its inventory. From tin signs to jewelry to lamps and furniture there is sure to be something for everyone.
- The Old Post Office Antiques and Such, 1178 Putnam Pike, ☏ . Thur.-Sat.11:00am-5:00pm and Sun. 12:00pm-5:00pm, From May-Dec. open Mon. 11:00am-5:00pm. Originally the post office of Chepachet this great antique shop has a wide variety of antiques to choose from.
- The Town Trader Antiques, 1177 Putnam Pike, ☏ . Wed.-Sat. 11:00am-5:00pm and Sun. 12:00pm-5:00pm. The Town Trader was originally a trading post built in the 1690s and is now the oldest structure to stand in Chepachet.
- Aegean Pizza, 1195 Putnam Pike, ☏ . Mo-Su 11AM-10PM. This great pizza parlor offers a variety of subs, fried foods and specialty pizzas. Delivery is available to anywhere in Glocester however delivery charges may apply. $8-20.
- Harmony Lodge, 102 Putnam Pike, ☏ . Mo-Sa 11:30AM-1AM and Su 8AM-noon. Cozy and warm atmosphere with dim lighting and a beautiful stone fireplace. On Sundays only the restaurant offers brunch until noon.
- Chepachet Deli, 842 Putnam Pike, ☏ . Mo 10AM-2PM, Tu-Th 10AM-6PM, Fr-Sa 10AM-7PM, Closed on Sundays. Chepachet deli offers a variety of subs, pizzas, calzones and the famous NY system wieners. They use Boar's Head products and real Willow Tree Chicken Salad. Local delivery is available.
- DePetrillo's Pizza and Bakery, 1153 Putnam Pike, ☏ . Mo-Th 7AM-7PM, Fr-Sa 7AM-8PM and Su 7AM-6PM. The great bakery provides homemade pizza stripes, party pizzas, hot pizzas, calzones and rolls. They have a variety of items ready to be purchased or you can call in and place a specific order. Wine, pepper and egg biscuits and assorted cookies and pastries are baked fresh every day.
- Dino's Park-n-Shop, 1020 Putnam Pike, ☏ . Mo-Sa 7AM-9PM and Su 7AM-8PM. The market will provide you with all of your grocery needs. There is a great bakery to indulge your sweet tooth and a deli that provides ready to eat meals and made on the spot deli sandwiches.
- Europa, 2400 Putnam Pike, ☏ . Mo-Th 11AM-10PM, Fr-Sa 11AM-12PM and Su 8AM-10PM. Europe provides a salad bar and a gull menu that offers a variety of options ranging from seafood dinners to juicy steaks to pasta dishes. Breakfast is available only on Sundays.
- Gentlemen Farmer Restaurant, 617 Putnam Pike, ☏ . Mo-Sa 6AM and Su 6AM-8PM. The diner is best known by the locals for its great breakfast menu which is available all day, every day. A full menu including lunch and dinner plates are also available every day.
- Pinewood Pub, 16 Terry Lane (located right off Putnam Pike), ☏ . Mo-Th 3PM-1AM, Fr& Su 12PM-1AM and Sa 10AM-1AM. The pub offers a relaxing atmosphere and a full menu that will appeal to anyone's appetite. If you’re a pizza lover the pub offers create your own pizza and several signature pizzas that are unique to the restaurant and intriguing to try. $6-18.
- Snow's Clam Box Bar and Grill, 2461 Putnam Pike, ☏ . Mo-Su 11AM-11PM. Known simply as the "Clam Box" the restaurant is best known for its extensive seafood selections. If you’re looking for fresh, local seafood or an 8oz. steak the Clam Box has something for everybody. $6.99-$18.99.
- Tavern on Main (Stagecoach Tavern), 1157 Putnam Pike, ☏ . Tavern open We-Thur. 4PM-1AM, Fr-Su 11:30AM-1AM Dining room open We-Thur. 4PM-9PM, Fr-Sa 11:30AM-9:30PM, Su 11:30AM-8:30PM, Closed Mo-Tu. Originally known as the Stagecoach Tavern this historical place was built in the early 1700s and remarkably has been kept in its original form. Step back into time and experience the taverns historical nature and feel while dining around artefacts that are hundreds of years old and sitting in a place that is thought to be haunted by the ancestors of Chepachet. $7-$20.
- Char's Bar and Grill, 812 Putnam Pike, ☏ . Kitchen hours are Mo 3PM-10PM, Tu-Fr 11:30AM-10PM, Sa 12PM-10PM and Su 12PM-8PM, the bar remains open daily until 1AM. Char's offers live entertainment, karaoke and pool tables. The bar also offers an arrangement of great foods to snack on including Irish nachos, delicious burgers and great wings.
- Stick's Tavern, 417 Putnam Pike, ☏ . Mon. 5:00pm-9:00pm, Tues.-Wed. 7:00pm-12:00am, Thur.-Sun. 1:00pm-1:00am. Stick's offers great live entertainment and karaoke nights and provides and outdoor area equipped with lots of picnic tables and a large fire pit. Noted as one of the most popular bars in town you are sure to meet lots of locals and hear some great local bands perform their finest hits.
- Bowdish Lake Campground, Putnam Pike (Route 44) (Located on the right just before the Connecticut state line.), ☏ . Bowdish Campground provides daily activities ranging from bingo to hay rides to volleyball games. Available sites include waterfront, wooded or field locations and accommodate both campers and tents. $ varies, AAA approved.
- George Washington Memorial Camping Area, 2185 Putnam Pike (Route 44), ☏ . The campground is open from the second Sa in April till Memorial Day in Oct. The campground is along Bowdish Lake and offers its campers a swimming area, miles of hiking trails through preserved forests, fishing areas and a boat ramp that is easily accessible. RI Residents $14/night, Non-residents $20/night.
- Glocester Motor Inn, 2392 Putnam Pike, ☏ .
- Holiday Acres Family Campground, 591 Snake Hill Road (Take Route 44 E from the center of Chepachet and take a right onto Saw Mill Road. At the stop sign take a right onto Snake Hill Road and the campground will be on your right.), ☏ . Holiday Acres is an RV/Camper campground and does not provide tented sites. It offers wooded and waterfront sites, bathrooms, showers, a laundry room, a game room and boat rentals. $44/day and seasonal rates are available, AAA approved and discounts apply.
- Oak Leaf Family Campground, 43 Oak Leaf Way (Follow Route 44W from the center of Chepachet and take a left onto Reynolds Road (Route 94). Turn left onto Old Snake Hill Road and Oak Leaf Way will be on your right.), ☏ . The campground offers RV and tented sites, a horseshoe pit, a playground, showers, a camp store, recreation hall, an outdoor swimming pool and is pet friendly.
- White Rock Motel, 750 Putnam Pike, ☏ . The motel offers rooms with queen or double sized beds, A/C and cable TV and is located just minutes from the center of Chepachet.
|Routes through Glocester|
|Hartford ← Storrs → Jct ←||W E||→ Smithfield → Providence|