Gonikoppal is in Kodagu, Karnataka state.
Gonikoppal is a small town near Madikeri in Kodagu region. The population of the town is 7,251. The people claim a Roman ancestry. All the tourist attractions are ten to forty kilometers away from Gonikoppal town. The role Gonikoppal is as a cheaper and safer pit stop for visiting the tourist places. Accommodation is available in ₹400 to ₹800 range around the bus station.
Four wheel drive jeeps are available for rent to maneuver the hills of Gonikoppal. Auto-rickshaws are a cheaper option for moving around in city areas.
- 1 Bylakuppe monastery (Golden Temple), Kushalnagar. around 45 km from Pollibetta.
- 2 Iruppu Waterfalls, Kutta Road (28 km). The river descends perpendicularly into a great cataract known as the Iruppu Falls. There is temple dedicated to Sri Ram, surrounded by paddy fields, from where it is a climb up to the falls through natural forest. Can be visited from Gonikopal on the way to Nagerhole National Park by taking a detour after Srimangala, situated in the Kutta Road.
- Pollibetta Dargah, Sidhapur Road.
- 3 Tholpetty Reserve Forest, Mananthavady Road (40 km). Government vehicles can take you inside the reserve forest for a small fee, although a long wait may be necessary.
- 4 Shree Eashwara Temple, Hermadu, kutta road (15 km).
- Play golf at Pollibetta village. The Tata coffee estate at Pollibetta village has a fine golf course. The village also has photogenic valleys and a little yellow temple popular with the locals.
- Scenic drive to Kerala forest (36 km). Take the road to Ponnampett. Have a cup of coffee at Yes-Yes restaurant in the diamond shaped town of Ponnampet. Move forward via Begur and Hudkeri villages and scenic paddy fields on the way. Have some food at Foodys Restaurant, Sir Mangala town. Drive past Cafe Robusta, Poojakkal and reach Kutta checkpost. From here, you can turn right and reach Tholpetty Wildlife Reserve in Kerala.
- Scenic Drive to Madikeri (48 km). Take the main road to Virajpet and divert to Madikeri road. When you reach Kakotuparamba village, you can see a very beautiful hill called 'Oormandhu' which can be identified with a branch of Vijaya Bank just opposite to the hill. After having a picnic at the photogenic hillock, you can proceed to Murnad town, Kakkathoor village and finally reach the undulating town of Madikeri.
- Village bus to Hunsur. Riding a village bus to Hunsur can take you through villages like Panchavalli, Kokkarehosalli, Muddenahalli, Chenmankolly and Devarapure. Threre also cute towns like Thithimathi on the way with flower-filled school campuses and all.
- Kaikeri walk. Kaikeri village on Virajpet road is ideal for a pleasant morning walk. There are beautiful hills and grasslands on both sides of the road. After 07:00 traffic can be heavy.
- Cafe Robusta, Poojakkal, Kutta, Mananthavady road. (20 km).
- Classic Restaurant, opp. bus station (0 km). Meat and fish delicacies.
- Guruprasad Vegetarian, near the bus station (0 km). 'Chat' items like Masala Poori and Pani poori are available in addition to lunch and dinner.
- P.P.M.Restaurant, Kutta Bus Station, Mananthavady Road., ☏ .
- Silver Sky Restaurant, Opp. Bus Station. Good place for Roti and Chicken. Alcoholic drinks are served in the dining hall. Cosy, but a little expensive.
Hotel Prakash international Poojari arcade . Near bus stand Gonikoppa.9945346258.08274248258
- Coorg Guest House, Sri Mangala town, Mananthavady Road (10 km).
- Jythi Lodge, Kutta town. Small hotel with basic facilities on Kerala border.
- , ☏ , . ₹400.
- Kodagu Community Lodge, Near Gonikoppal Bus station (1 km). 08274347731 099002638922 09480430422 ₹1,300.
- Nandavana Hotel, Near Busstand (0 km), ☏ , . Old courtyard style Hotel. The only standard hotel with economy prices in the area. The lady at the counter is also the owner of the hotel, and speaks good English. ₹800.
- Palm Valley Resort, Sidhapur road (5 km). Faces a very scenic paddy field.
- Papera inn, Mysore Road, ☏ , .
- Porcupine Resort, sidhapur Road (16 km).