Gulu is an important city of Northern Uganda. It's the economic centre of the region, has some useful facilities for travellers and a handful of historic attractions. As violence related to the LRA rebel groups diminished, more NGO workers and travellers settled in and generally friendly local business owners are finding ways to cater to the increasing demand for hotels and restaurants. All in all, this may not yet be a vibrant city nor the most beautiful of Uganda destinations, but it has a charm of its own and breathes the energy of a community shaking off its past.
- 1 Gulu airport (ULU IATA) (just a few kilometres out of town). Served several times a week by Eagle Air flights to and from Entebbe Airport (usually Monday, Wednesday and Friday). Occasionally, some charter flights may be available to Moyo Town, Arua and Pakuba. United Airlines Limited fly to Entebbe.
Gulu is connected by rail, and part of the North Line. This means there are connections to Pakwach in the north, and in the other direction to Lira, Soroti, Aloi, Kumi, Mbale and Tororo. There is a plan to build a railway line to Juba.
There's a good road connection as well, and buses run from here to many other destinations. It is 336.4 km to the capital, Kampala.
- Swimming pool, at Acholi Hotel. USh 10,000 per person.
- Stanbic Bank. Has a Mastercard/Visa Card ATM.
- Kenya Commercial Bank. Has a Mastercard/Visa Card ATM.
- Equity Bank. Has a Mastercard/Visa Card ATM.
- Kope cafe, Oyla Road.
- Country Bakery, Awich Road. Sells pies.
- 1 Acholi Inn, Plot 6/4 Elizabeth Road, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a hotel with a long history and although it could use another update, it's clean and has a bunch of amenities. There are 80 rooms, 12 suites, a swimming pool and a restaurant. The fitness facilities are a bit worn down, but if you're in need of exercise they're there nonetheless. Ask to see a couple of rooms on different floors and expect at least one or two things in the rooms to not work (think tv, drain or aircon). Still, an okay mid-range place for Uganda and the friendly staff leave most travellers with a fairly nice experience in the end. There's also good and free wifi in the lobby.
- Bomah Hotel, Plot 8, Eden Road, ☏ . This large hotel set among charming gardens is as big and as upscale as it gets in these parts of the country. It's the go-to place for diplomats and business travellers. Facilities include a rooftop restaurant, a nice lounge, comfortable rooms and very cold beer. There are also good massages to be had (US$18). Don't expect every that's expensive to be very good, though - especially the food is of varying quality. All in all an excellent place though.
- Franklin Guesthouse, Nehru Road and Main Street, ☏ . Fan single rooms. USh 30,000.
- Sunset Hotel, Coronation Road, ☏ . Fan single rooms. USh 21,000.
- Binen Inn, Coronation Road. Single rooms with shared bathroom. From USh 18,000.
- Payero Rest House, Coronation Road, ☏ . Single/double rooms. US$13/17.
- Hotel Abolo Lapok, Olya Road, ☏ . Single/double rooms. US$13/15.
- Hotel Kakanyero, Bank Lane, ☏ . Single/double rooms. US$6/8.
- Mimosa Hotel, Obadiah Lalobo Road. Check-in: 11AM, check-out: 10AM. Single room with own bathroom. Breakfast. This hotel has 16 rooms. USh 30,000.