Gyenesdiás is a lovely resort village only 100 km (62 mi) from the western border of Hungary, in the West Balaton region 15 km (9.3 mi) from the Hévíz-Balaton Airport. The towns of Keszthely, known for its fascinating Festetics Palace, and Hévíz with its world famous spa are only a few kilometres from here.
Gyenesdiás – with its 4000 inhabitants – is the perfect holiday resort especially for those who want to spend their holiday at the Lake Balaton actively and joyfully. Gyenesdiás has a lot to offer for every age and interest from relaxation to entertainment and a wide variety of recreation.
- 1 Tourinform Gyenesdiás, Hunyadi János utca 2, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Sep 1–Jun 30: M–F 08:00–16:00; Jun 1–Aug 31: M–F 09:00–17:00, Sa Su 09:00–13:00. Tourist information. Event and program recommendations, tips for trips, reasonable accommodations, attractions, restaurants, discount cards. Spoken languages: English, German.
Trains are available in every two hours from Kaposvár to Győr via Fonyód (junction point to Siófok), Balatonszentgyörgy (junction point to Nagykanizsa), Keszthely, Tapolca, Jánosháza (junction point to Veszprém and Zalaegerszeg), Celldömölk (junction point to Szombathely) and Pápa. The journey from Keszthely takes 5 minutes and costs 250 Ft. From Budapest, you have to transfer in Balatonszentgyörgy. The whole journey from Budapest takes less than 3 hours and costs 3410 Ft.
Buses are available from Budapest-Népliget five times a day. The journey takes 3½ hours and costs 3705 Ft. More frequent buses are available from Keszthely. The journey takes 10–15 minutes and costs 250 Ft.
There is no local public transport or taxi service. You can use the regional buses operated by Volánbusz.
Balaton Bicycle Road is a good way explore the beaches and other attractions in the area.
There is a bike rental network. Bikes can be pick up and hand down in any Tourinform offices in this region (Keszthely, Gyenesdiás, Vonyarcvashegy, Balatongyörök and Héviz). Bike rental: 1500 Ft for two hours, 2200 Ft for one day.
- 1 Avar History Exhibition (Herdsman's House, Avar Történeti Kiállítás, Pásztorház), Kossuth Lajos utca 97, ☏ . May–Sep: Tu–F 09:00–12:00; Oct–Apr: only by appointment. A typical item of rustic architectural traditions, it was built in the middle of the 19th century for the current local herdsman’s official quarters. The building now owned by the Municipality, archeological relics of local history are on display in the two rooms at the rear. In ended of the '80s, – in the area, – found a intact tomb of the greatest leader of Avar (around AD. 660). The Avar was a Caucasian native ethnic group, the most predominant of several ethnic groups living in the Russian republic of Dagestan. Huns was one of this ethnic groups. The exhibit shows the contemporary burial customs and the tomb of the leader in its original form. Free entrance.
- 2 Berzsenyi Observation Tower (Berzsenyi-kilátó). Observation tower on the top of Pető Hill.
- 3 Darnay's Wine Cellar (Darnay-féle boronapince), Darnay utca 10, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Th–Sa 16:00–20:00. A wine cellar from the 17th century is a typical item of original rustic architecture. Its main girder beam carries the date of 1644 engraved. Log cellars used to be built as long as landowners let people cut and use oaks, which used to grow in neighbouring woods in abundance and offer a useful building material. The wine exhibition renovated in 2012 offers its visitor wine tasting opportunity as well.
- 4 Festetics Observation Tower (Festetics-kilátó). Observation tower on the top of Varsás Hill.
- 5 House of Nature (Természet Háza), Szent Erzsébet út, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Sep–May: 09:00–17:00; Jun–Aug: 09:00–19:00. Visitor center. Exhibition of Keszthely Hills wildlife. There is also a cafe, a bar and a gift shop. Adult: 600 Ft; senior, student: 400 Ft; children: 200 Ft.
- 6 Our Lady of Snow Chapel (Havas Boldogasszony-kápolna), Kossuth Lajos utca 45. It was erected in the place of a former chapel, to the design of Ákos Radits, an architect from Budapest, in 1894. Most of the building costs were covered by the estate of deceased Mihály Dornyai. Some of the building material was provided by Count Tasziló Festetics, while the costs of equipment were borne by the inhabitants of Diás. The polychromic altar of Renaissance style was made by József Runggaldier, a sculptor from Gröden, Tyrol.
- 7 Saint Helena Chapel (Szent Ilona-kápolna), Temető utca 1. As early as 1807, the inhabitants of the vine-growing village decided to erect a chapel for God. To this end, they demolished the ruins of the Saint Elizabeth's Church of the former village of Falud. Since Count György Festetics, the then owner of the land, did not approve of the construction, the stones from demolition were sold and the capital obtained this way was deposited at interest. After Count Festetics died, his son, László Festetics, encouraged the construction of the chapel and allotted an area for this purpose. The classical church was completed in a matter of a year and dedicated to Saint Helena on 18 August 1826, commemorating Count Laszló’s daughter, Helena, as well. This is the only church in Hungary named after Saint Helena.
- 8 Saint John of Nepomuk Spring (Nepomuki Szent János-forrás), Malom utca. There is a statue about Saint John of Nepomuk, which was erected by János Talabér in 1828.
- 9 Vadlány Hole (Vadlány-lik). A simple wind-carved, room-sized cave. The cave opening is actually a stone cabin formed by wind erosion, which was further extended in artificially. Around 1900s most likely used as a secret distillery site. Free to visit.
- 10 Rezi Castle (Rezi vár), Rezi. Built in the 14th–15th century.
- 11 John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church (Keresztelő Szent János római katolikus templom), Petőfi Sándor utca 29, Rezi. Built in 1756 in Baroque style.
- 12 Saint Dominic Roman Catholic Church (Szent Domonkos római katolikus templom), Kossuth Lajos utca 80, Várvölgy. Built in 1899 in neo-Gothic style. Based on the ruins of the Gothic church ruins from the 14th century.
- 13 Gingerbread House (Mézeskalács-ház), Fő utca 102, Zalaszántó, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mar 12–Jun 30: Tu–Su 10:00–17:00; Jul 1–Aug 22: 10:00–18:00; Aug 23–Nov 1: W–Su 10:00–17:00.
- 14 Heritage House (Tájház), Vadász utca 20, Zalaszántó. Built around 1850.
- 15 Kotsy Watermill (Kotsy-vízimalom), Ádám utca 2, Zalaszántó, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Closed in 2018 due to reconstruction. Adult: 500 Ft; senior, student: 400 Ft; children: 300 Ft.
- 16 Peace Stupa (Béke-sztúpa), Világosvár 13, Zalaszántó, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Oct–Mar: F–Su 10:00–16:00; Apr–Sep 10:00–18:00. Buddhist sanctuary on the summit of the Virágosvár Hill (313 m a.s.l.), it is 30 m high and 24 m wide. Free entrance.
- 17 Saints Cosmas and Damian Roman Catholic Church (Szent Kozma és Damján római katolikus templom), Fő utca, Zalaszántó. Built in the 15th century in Gothic style.
- 18 Tátika Castle Ruins (Tátika várrom), Zalaszántó. Medieval castle ruins.
- 19 Wendelin of Trier Roman Catholic Chapel (Szent Vendel római katolikus kápolna), Fő utca, Zalaszántó. Built in the 18th century.
There are two beaches available in Gyenesdiás for the lovers of bathing, swimming and sunshine.
- 1 Beach in Diás (Diási Játékstrand), Strand utca 3, Gyenesdiás, ☏ . Jun 15–Aug 31: 08:00–18:00; Dream Beach Cocktail Bar: May–Sep: M–Th Su 09:00–01:00, F Sa 09:00–03:00; Komáromy Pizzeria: Jun–Aug: 10:00–20:00; Napfénylagúna Restaurant: Jun–Aug: 10:00–20:00; BisztRóka Food Bar: Jun–Aug: 09:00–19:00. Services: playground, natural paddling-pool, once free slip on the giant water slide; animation: kids’ programmes, sport championships, mini disco. Sport fields such as beach volleyball courts with lights, beach football field, table tennis, streetball field, chess, water polo, heading goals, basketball, volleyball, water aerobics. Spacious lawn for sun seekers. Rentals, free internet, restaurants, snack-bars and free parking. Adult: 850 Ft, children: 500 Ft, average meal: 1590 Ft, hamburger: 990 Ft. Beyond of the opening hours, the beach can be visited for free.
- 2 Beach in Gyenes (Gyenesi Lidóstrand), Oppel Imre sétány, Gyenesdiás, ☏ . Jun 15–Aug 31: 08:00–18:00. It is preferred by families with kids and sun seekers due to its cosy and intimate atmosphere. In addition to bathing the beach attracts the active guests with beach volleyball and beach football. Adult: 550 Ft, children: 400 Ft. Beyond of the opening hours, the beach can be visited for free.
- 3 Balaton Escape, Kossuth Lajos utca 79, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M–Th 16:30–21:00, F 13:30–21:00, Sa Su 09:00–21:00. Escape game. 6000 Ft–10,000 Ft per team.
- 4 Gyenes Paintball, Balaton utca, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 08:00–12:00 14:00–18:00. 6000 Ft.
- 5 Nagymező. Excursion place. Good place for picnic and bacon roasting. Good starting point for hiking and Nordic walking tours in the Keszthely Hills to viewing towers, springs, caves etc. The National Blue Hiking Route leads through Gyenesdiás, along with other designated tracks it leads you into the heart of the Keszthely Hills, to Büdöskút. Free to visit.
- 6 Dino and Adventure Park Rezi (Dinó- és Kalandpark Rezi), Ibolya utca 13, Rezi, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 09:00–17:00. Moving, life-size, sounding dinos, rope track, climbing wall, trampoline, gripping machines, boating lake, balls, treasure washers, bouncy castles. Entrance fee: 4000 Ft.
- Budding Spring Festival (Rügyfakadás – Tavaszünnep). In April.
- Bream Festival in Gyenesdiás (Gyenesdiási Keszegfesztivál). In July.
- Gyenesdiás Wine Festival (Gyenesdiási Bornapok). In July.
- Vintage Festival in Gyenesdiás (Gyenesdiási Szüreti Vigasságok). In September.
- Potato Day in Gyenesdiás (Gyenesdiási Burgonya Nap). In September.
- Advent Chestnut Roasting and Xmas Fair (Adventi gesztenyesütés és karácsonyi vásár). In December.
- 1 First Fish and Small Farmers’ Market of Balaton (Első Balatoni Hal- és Termelői Piac), Kárpáti korzó, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Apr 7–Jun 17 Sep 3–Sep 30: Sa Su 10:00–21:00; Jún 18–Sep 2: M–F 16:00–21:00, Sa Su 10:00–21:00. Buy products of small farmers like flat bread, stove cake, homemade marmalade and syrup, fruit and vegetables, honey etc.
- 2 J&A Kerámia, Kossuth Lajos utca 103, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 10:00–18:00. A souvenir shop in a folk house. Here can you see and buy potteries. Usage and decorative objects are from the most important Hungarian pottery regions. Provides to the guests the opportunity disc modeling by appointment. The finished pieces are fired upon request.
- 3 Liget Plaza, Kereskedők útja 4-6, ☏ . Pláza Bistro: M–F 10:00–15:00. Shopping center. Lunch menu in the bistro: 1390 Ft.
- 4 Coop ABC, Kossuth Lajos utca 93, ☏ . M–F 06:30–18:00, Sa 06:30–13:00.
|This page uses the following price ranges for a typical meal for one, including soft drink:|
|Budget||Under 2400 Ft|
|Mid-range||2400 Ft–2900 Ft|
|Splurge||Over 2900 Ft|
Hungarian cuisine with famous wines. Family-friendly restaurants provide for the kids, so that everybody can enjoy their lunch.
- 1 Faludi (Faludi), Faludi utca 57, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M–F 11:00–18:00, Sa 11:00–20:00, Su 10:00–20:00. Bar and grill. 2000 Ft, lunch menu: 1590 Ft.
- 2 Giuseppe Pizzeria, Ibolya utca 1, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 12:00–22:00. Italian restaurant and pizzeria.
- 3 Jaffa Büfé, Szechényi István utca 46, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 11:00–21:00. Food bar. 1990 Ft, hamburger: 1190 Ft.
- 4 Gyöngyösi Betyárcsárda, Rezi, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mar–Now: W–Su 11:30-22:00. Traditional restaurant with local cuisine and with specialities like beef stew with curd cheese pasta, and venison fillet in red currant sauce with croquettes. It was built in 1728 in Baroque style. 2490 Ft.
- 5 Szent Domonkos Restaurant (Szent Domonkos Vendéglő), Kossuth Lajos utca 40, Várvölgy, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 11:00–21:00. Traditional restaurant with local cuisine. 2350 Ft.
- 6 Turul Restaurant (Turul Vendéglő), Fő utca 199/6, Zalaszántó, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu–Su 12:00–22:00. Traditional restaurant with local cuisine. 2280 Ft.
- 7 Anita Restaurant, Béke utca 2, ☏ . Tu–Su 11:30–21:00. Traditional restaurant. 2690 Ft.
- 8 Nádas Csárda, Kossuth Lajos utca 79, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 11:00–22:00. Traditional restaurant.
- 9 Piroska Csárda, Faludi utca 7, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu–Th Su 11:00–15:00, F Sa 11:00–22:00. Richly carved Transylvanian gate in front of the lovely, shingled house. The menu includes Hungarian, and international dishes plus some Sekler specialties can be found. BBQ night on Thursdays. A dozen different main dish made from turkey breast, trout, sirloin, Knuckle, porkchop, duck, venison. Spoken languages: Hungarian, German. 2990 Ft.
- 10 Szent Ilona Csárda, Lőtéri utca 36, ☏ . Apr 15–Sep 30: 12:00–23:30. Traditional restaurant with local cuisine. 50 kinds of high-quality Hungarian wine selection. Fresh bread from the oven. 2790 Ft.
- 11 Torony Csárda, Napfény utca 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 12:00–22:00. A roadside restaurant. Wide choice, delicious game and fish dishes,Hungarian and international cuisine.Light Meals, Fish, Beef, Pork, Poultry, Game dishes.
- 1 Bringatanya, Madách utca 45, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. May–Sep: M–F 12:00–19:00, Sa Su 10:00–19:00. Ice cream shop.
- 2 Mónisüti, Madách utca 46, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu–Su 10:00-18:00. Confectionery.
- 3 Viki Cafe, Kossuth Lajos utca 83, ☏ .
- 4 Korona Pub (Korona Söröző), Balaton utca 8, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 08:00–21:00.
- 5 Rezi Pub, Petőfi Sándor utca, Rezi. 11:00–22:00.
- 6 Tátika Presszó, Fő utca 98, Zalaszántó, ☏ . 08:00-22:00.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
|Budget||Under 13,000 Ft|
|Mid-range||13,000 Ft–20,000 Ft|
|Splurge||Over 20,000 Ft|
Private accommodation have a tradition for approximately 30 years in the village, but tourism has a history of 100 years. Hotel, B&B places with their own swimming pool and different wellness services are here, as well as over half hundred private accommodation.
- 1 Caraván Camping, Madách utca 43 (North of Gyenesdiás Train Station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mar 20–Jan 6. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 10:00. Locted in a quiet zone include a outdoor swimming pool. Three and four person mobile home are rentable. Bike rental for hour, for day or for week. Trailer, tent and scooter rental. WiFi.
- 2 Szent Ilona Camping, Lőtéri utca 36, ☏ . Jun 1–Oct 15.
- 3 Vadóctanya Hostel, Tulipán utca 3, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 23 rooms. 3300 Ft per person.
- 4 Várvölgy Guesthouse, Kültelek 43, Várvölgy, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 10:00. 7 rooms. Single room: 4990 Ft, double room: 9980 Ft.
- 5 Borbála Guesthouse, Kossuth Lajos utca 56, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 10:00. 8 rooms. Single room: 8100 Ft, double room: 13,000 Ft.
- 6 Katalin Guesthouse, Csillag utca 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 10:00. 7 rooms. Single room: 11,000 Ft, double room: 13,000 Ft.
- 7 Lavia Guesthouse, Béke utca 38 (North 15min walk from both train stations), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 10:00. 9 rooms. All room with shower (toilet, hair-dryer) wardrobe, room safe, minibar, TV, radio with alarm clock, telephone, WiFi, big balcony or terrace. A 8 m (26 ft)×4 m (13 ft) pool with sun beds in partly shady garden. Single room: 15,900 Ft, double room: 18,900 Ft.
- 8 Sportház Guesthouse and Restaurant, Kossuth Lajos utca 89, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Restaurant: M–Th Su 08:00–22:00, F–Sa 08:00–00:00, Su 08:00–22:00. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 10:00. 6 rooms. Traditional restaurant and pizzeria. Billiard, bowling and squash. Double room: 18,200 Ft, average meal: 2190 Ft, pizza: 1790 Ft.
- 9 Kék Guesthouse, Nefelejcs utca 22-24, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 10:00. 12 rooms. Single room: 13,680 Ft, double room: 21,120 Ft.
- 10 Wellness Hotel Katalin, Szent István utca 5 (Situated near Lake Balaton, west of Gyenesdiás Train Station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 10:00. 56 rooms. Located in a calm and peaceful environment 200 m from the Balaton plage. Double room: 45,900 Ft.
- 11 Wellness Park Camping, Napfény utca 6, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. 18 rooms. Double room: 27,000 Ft.
- 12 Zöldház Guesthouse, Kossuth Lajos utca 16, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 12 rooms, 2 apartments. Single room: 17,000 Ft, double room: 24,000 Ft.
- 13 Öreghegy Apartments, Öreghegy út, Vindornyalak, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. 4 apartments. Apartment for two persons: 26,000 Ft.
Gyenesdiás' postal code is H-8315, and its telephone area code is 83.
- 2 Gyenesdiás Post Office, Tanácsház utca 33, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M–F 08:00–12:00 12:30–16:00.
- Hévíz – town with natural thermal lake 9 km (5.6 mi) west
- Keszthely – town with historical downtown 3 km (1.9 mi) west
- Pacsa – small town 27 km (17 mi) west
- Sümeg – town with castle 25 km (16 mi) north
- Tapolca – town with cave lake 23 km (14 mi) northeast
- Vonyarcvashegy – resort village 2 km (1.2 mi) east
- Zalaszentgrót – town with thermal bath 32 km (20 mi) northwest