Harleston is a market town in Norfolk.
Harleston is a small market town close to the River Waveney and the Suffolk border. The town was first called Herolf'ston (from the Danish leader Herolf in the around 1010 who settled in the area). Although there is no record of a royal charter, the town is thought to have held a weekly market since the mid-1300s and still holds a Wednesday market.
A charming town with lots of Georgian houses, alleyways, character, etc. to explore, but from a visitor's perspective the town is a working town and mainly caters for locals. Visitors are more likely to visit the town for the surrounding countryside which has much to offer.
Although generally known as Harleston, the area is formally Redenhall with Harleston (the town of Harleston and the adjoining village of Redenhall).
The town lies on the A143 main road running to Great Yarmouth to the NE and Diss to the SW, continuing on to Bury St Edmunds. At Diss the A143 connects to the A140 connecting to Norwich northbound and Stowmarket and the A14 southbound. Free parking can be found at Bullock Fair, next to the Co op supermarket. There is a fuel station on the main road at the southern end of the town centre.
The town used to have a railway station but it closed in 1953 and now has no rail connections. The nearest station now is Diss, on the London-Norwich mainline.
The town is on Regional Cycle Route (RCR) 30 that runs from Lowestoft to Thetford and beyond. RCR 30 meets and crosses National Cycle Route (NCR) 1 around 12 miles NE of the town, NCR 1 running the length of the UK (1,700 miles) from Shetland to Dover. To the west of Diss RCR 30 connects to National cycle Route 13 which runs from the North Norfolk Coast south to Colchester.
- 1 Angles Way. Long distance footpath (93 mi (150 km)) from Great Yarmouth to Thetford) through the town
The town is small enough to be seen on foot.
- 1 Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum, The Street, Flixton, Bungay, NR35 1NZ (5 miles NE of town), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Apr-Oct: Su-Th 10:00-17:00; Nov-Mar: Tu W Su 10:00-16:00. Free (donations appreciated).
- 2 Oasis Camel Park, Orchard Farm, Linstead, Halesworth, IP19 0DT (7 miles SE of town), ☏ (mobile), ✉ email@example.com. Daily 10:30-17:00. Well-behaved dogs on leads welcome. £8.50 adult, £8 concessions, £7.50 child.
- 1 Rowan Craft Ltd, Wherry Dyke, Geldeston, Beccles, NR34 0LY (12½ miles E of Long Stratton), ☏ . 08:30–13:00, 14:00–17:00. Day boat hire 3 hr £50, all day (6 hr) £80. Canoe hire 3 hr £23, all day £35 per canoe; two- and three-man canoes available.
- 2 Weybread Pits (Harleston angling club), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Day and week tickets available. Day 1 rod £6. Week 1 rod £20. Day 2 rods £9. Week 2 rods £40..
- 1 Co op (Supermarket), Bullock Fair Close, Harleston, IP20 9AT, ☏ . M-Sa 08:00-22:00, Su 10:00-16:00. Previously a Budgen supermarket
- 2 Co-op (Convenience Food Store), 7 London Rd, Harleston, IP20 9BN, ☏ . M-F 06:00-22:00\ Sa Su 07:00-22:00.
- 3 Adnams Store (Beer Shop (off-license)), 23 The Thoroughfare, Harleston, IP20 9AS (Behind The Cardinal's Hat Pub), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 10:00-18:00.
- 4 Wednesday Market, Market Place. W 06:00-16:00. Small (approx 10 stalls) weekly market with fishmonger, greengrocer, card shop, DIY tools, flowers & plants, etc.
- 1 Momiji (Japanese Restaurant and Bar), The Cherry Tree, 74 London Rd, Harleston, IP20 9BZ, ☏ . M Tu Th-Sa from 18:00. Booking advisable.
- 2 The Old Kings Head (Cafe, Restaurant & Bar), 50 The St, Brockdish, IP21 4JY, ☏ . Tu-Th 10:00-22:00, F Sa 10:00-23:00, Su 10:00-21:00. Well behaved dogs on a lead until 18:00.
- 3 Taste of Raj (Indian Restaurant & take-away), 20-24 Broad St, Harleston, IP20 9AZ, ☏ . Daily 17:30-23:00.
- 1 The Cardinals Hat (Pub), 23 The Thoroughfare, Harleston, IP20 9AS, ☏ .
- 2 The Apiary Cake and Coffee House, 3 Thoroughfare, Harleston, IP20 9AH, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 08:30-16:30. Café, hampers, delicatessen,
- 3 Tudor Bakehouse (Coffee Shop (and bakers)), 15 The Thoroughfare, Harleston, IP20 9AH, ☏ . M-Sa 07:00-16:30.
- 4 The Red Lion (Pub), 117 High Rd, Needham, IP20 9LG, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-F 12:00-15:00 (last orders for food 14:00) & 18:00pm-late (last orders for food 21:00), Sa 12:00-15:00 (last orders for food 14:00) & 18:00-late (last orders for food 21:00), Su 12:00-18:00 (last orders for food 16:00).
- 1 The Swan Hotel, 19 The Thoroughfare, Harleston, IP20 9AS, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: after 14:00, check-out: by 11:00.. Accommodation, restaurant, pub. 3* Single B&B from £60. Double B&B from £85.
- 2 Chameleon House (B&B), 3 Redenhall Rd, Harleston, IP20 9EN, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. £90-110 (per night, two adults sharing). Discounts for longer stays.
- 3 J. D. Young (Hotel & Restaurant), 2-4 Market Place, Harleston, IP20 9AD, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Nearest Accident & Emergency: Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital (Casualty or the Emergency Room), Colney Lane, Norwich, NR4 7UY (22 miles N of town). 24/7.
- 2 Harleston Medical Practice (GP or Primary Healthcare), Bullock Fair Surgery, Bullock Fair Close, Harleston, IP20 9AT, ☏ . M Tu 08:30-18:30, W 08:30-18:00, Th F 08:30-18:30.
- 3 Oasis Dental Care, 24-26 Redenhall Rd, Harleston, IP20 9ER, ☏ . M 08:00-19:00, Tu 08:00-17:30, W 08:00-19:00, Th 08:00-18:00, F 08:00-17:30, Sa 08:00 13:00.
- 4 Boots (Pharmacy), 17 The Thoroughfare , Harleston, IP20 9AH, ☏ . M-F 09:00-18:00, Sa 09:00-17:00.
- 5 Post Office, 6 - 8 Thoroughfare, Harleston, IP20 9AA. M-F 09:00-17:30, Sa 09:00-14:30.